• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey guys looking for a little info. I am heading up to do a little fishing and was wondering if anybody could give me some info on how the river is looking north of Mankato. I would like to launch at the seven mile creek launch and head north. Is this doable? I am not looking for a fishing report, just a little help. I would hate to make the trip and find out its too low. Thanks!

I am aware of that site but I don't know if 4 ft is low for that stretch or not... That's why I asked here. I appreciate you trying to help though!

There are stats at the bottom of the discharge chart. They say that the median is like 3650 cubic feet per second, and the 25th percentile is 1000 feet per second. The current reading is 2000 feet per second, and that's closer to the 25th percentile measurement than it is to the median, so I'd say roughly 7 out of 10 years the flow on july 11 is higher than it is this year on july 11. I'd have to say it's pretty low for this stretch but obviously it's not the worst it's been, 30% of the time is it lower yet.

I've also heard that the stretch downstream of there is REALLY low, like near henderson and leseur.

No, they're fine. Go upstream to that nice sand bar, you'll probably catch something.

I launched out of Henderson a few days ago and yes, the river is low. I went upstream from Henderson a few miles and could make it without to much problem and I would guess the average depth was approx 4ft. Many areas I was at 2.5 ft or a tad more.

I never hit one log in the river but I know that stretch very well. Lots of deadheads in the river above and just below the water surface. I did decide that as far as using a boat in that stretch, I will wait until it rains a bit more to bring the water level up.

I was running a 16.5ft LUND.

I am aware of that site but I don't know if 4 ft is low for that stretch or not... That's why I asked here. I appreciate you trying to help though!

It will be low. You will need to watch for sand bars, etc. I haven't been to that landing in a while, but i believe a sand bar develops right in front of the landing and it can be a bear in low water. If you try it and it looks hard to land, go to the park in mankato - land of memories. that landing has been in great shape.

Lets just say it is low. If you have a smaller boat, and have experience navigating the river, and know where the deep channel is, you will be ok. If your plan is to just stay down the middle of the river, and you are driving a big boat, you more then likely will be staying on the middle of the river, at least until we get rain, because you will be beached.

The Henderson area has dropped a quite a bit in the last week, but it has now leveled off, sorta. We are shallower now then any point in the last couple summers.

We're lower than last fall?

If that is the case, be very careful at the land o memories landing as last fall i backed my trailer right off the ramp and nearly broke an axel.

And, if it is that low, 7-mile creek is probably not usable.

In Henderson, we are at 715.02, last winter it dropped to 714. So we are about a foot higher then late fall, winter. But as for the summers, we are at the same, or a little lower then we have been, according to the Henderson gauge.

In Henderson, we are at 715.02, last winter it dropped to 714. So we are about a foot higher then late fall, winter. But as for the summers, we are at the same, or a little lower then we have been, according to the Henderson gauge.

Right on. I didn't think we were quite as low as last fall, but darn near!!

The higher water of the past couple of season has really leveled out the river bottom in the wide sandy stretches.

Jeeze ya it has. The 1/2 mile stretch upstream of where the judson bottom road comes within feet of a large deep bend has gotten wider and wider each year...3/4 of the river in that stretch is very very low, and the rest is littered with boulders to eat your prop!

Well Im going to hit up Redwood Falls area instead. Seems to be a little more water in that neck of the woods.

Well Im going to hit up Redwood Falls area instead. Seems to be a little more water in that neck of the woods.
Redwoodfalls is nearing its alltime low levels,So are Monti,and Lac Qui Parle.If you know where the deep holes are you may do good,Like downstream after all the real high water levels lots of holes are nomore.

Is it doable in a boat then? I have a buddy that was up there a couple weeks ago said the main channel was around 14'

The granite falls gauge looks pretty good so I just kind of assumed redwood falls wouldn't be too low...

Good Luck, it is really low here. Amazing how the river changed after a couple years of highwater around here. Really put some sandbars out there.

The granite falls gauge looks pretty good so I just kind of assumed redwood falls wouldn't be too low...
aBOVE gRANITE IS MUCH HIGHER THAN mORTON DAM UPSTREAM TO gRANITEOOPS CAP LOCK.iTS AROUND 80cU fT PER SECOND FROM ITS ALLTIME LOW RECORDINGS.Thing is above the MinnesotaFalls dam there are few Flats.I plan on going there next week just downstream of minnesotafalls dam,Boat,oars and a motor I may use??I cant afford a new or used prop!!

Last night may be my last trip in my boat for awhile, if it drops anymore, I am done. Other then hitting the stray logs here and there, I almost beached it several times. Beaching my boat isnt a fun time. The Henderson gauge is at 714.8 now, that is pretty much my limit. There were several areas, that I couldnt find more then a foot and a half to get back up stream last night, and floating down stream to the next landing isnt an option.

To be honest, when the water is this low, I dont go down stream in Henderson. To big of a boat, and to long to float to the next landing in case I damaged something. I will either go upstream from Henderson, or go out of Lesueur. I have mostly been going out of LeSueur lately, I have been catching fish, just no size to them. But lately it hasnt mattered where I have gone, it just seems either walleye, or channels wont leave my bait alone.

Is it doable in a boat then? I have a buddy that was up there a couple weeks ago said the main channel was around 14'

your buddy's depth finder must not have been working right. if you plan on launching in the redwood falls area, i suggest having the time to float down to the next landing or bring a couple props and some pushing shoes. i'm running a jet, on the river three or four nights a week, and am getting very uncomfortable with the water level.

Yep it's not super low right now, but its at a point in which you come up to several spots and ask yourself...."uh oh, which way do I go"

To be honest, when the water is this low, I dont go down stream in Henderson. To big of a boat, and to long to float to the next landing in case I damaged something. I will either go upstream from Henderson, or go out of Lesueur. I have mostly been going out of LeSueur lately, I have been catching fish, just no size to them. But lately it hasnt mattered where I have gone, it just seems either walleye, or channels wont leave my bait alone.

I'm not sure what I'm doing different, but I can't seem to catch a walleye even when I try for them this year.

The walleyes have been coming shallow. less then 2 feet, along rocks, points, sand bars with current.

The channel cats have came from about every thing except when I have actually casted on the sand bar by accident.

The river is at a good level. I haven't hit a thing yet. The channel is roughly five to ten foot here. No problem at all! Nice night out too!

It will be low. You will need to watch for sand bars, etc. I haven't been to that landing in a while, but i believe a sand bar develops right in front of the landing and it can be a bear in low water. If you try it and it looks hard to land, go to the park in mankato - land of memories. that landing has been in great shape.

Was that you last weekend on the sandbar?