• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gear Reviews

itchmesir

I think it would be of some help to new folks and us whom are always looking to spend another buck on fly gear to start up some simple reviews on gear.. it'll definitely help folks know what to look at and what to avoid.. like clearance Rio Panfish, Bass, and Pike line *cough* mnfishhunter *cough* wink

The other day I finally popped on some of this Airflo EX line that the big C has in their bargain cave.. I had been looking at it for some time but didn't really need it.. until I saw my 4wt line had a big ol gash in it.. so I popped.. This line is amazing... casts and shoots well.. tried it out on the local lake yesterday.. had no problems getting 50ft of line out.. didn't cast it any further as i had no need to(nor the room).. but don't see it being a problem.. it also comes with a pair of sink tips(slow and fast).. which is nice.. seeing as these things cost anywhere from $8-20 a piece.. and at $30.. you probably wont find a better line in that price range to be honest.. unless you can find some other sweet deal. Right now it's only available in 4,7,8wt.. but it's definitely worth picking up if you need it..

Gonna try a new line by Orvis this weekend. Most of their lines are on clearance right now and free shipping. It's a class 5 xtra fast sink tip for a 10 wgt.

Bringing up 2 different sinktips. Chasing pike on the fly, we'll see what happens with the line and the trip.

Korkers Chrome Wading Boots

The good: A very comfortable boot.There was virtually no break in period with them, and they have a better fit than most other boots I've tried on in the past. Although I was skeptical of the BOA Lacing system to begin with, I love it. In fact, I don't think I'd want to go to a pair of boots with regular laces ever again. The sticky rubber is great in all conditions. Traction hasn't been an issue at all with them. If you fish 50-75 times per year, the replaceable soles should last all of that. I'm closer to 100 or more days on them since purchasing, and mine are just getting to the point where replacement is probably necessary.

The bad: After 7 months of rugged use, they are almost shot. The bottom of the boots are both starting to come unglued/unstiched. For a $200 wading boot, I expected much better. However, the big C is sending me a replacement pair at no cost.

Overall, I would recommend these boots. korkers-fb3120-585-2.jpg

Man.. id definitely get a pair if I didn't already have my simms which I love... Though at $20.. maybe I should get a pair... How is sizing on these boots? Are they appropriate? Should you size up?

• 4 weeks later...

So the other day I got a new reel in the mail.. Aspen Reels Mid Arbor 5-7wt... Made in the USA.. Not in Aspen, CO... But rather by the Barrel Service Company out of Duarte, CA.

This reel looks bomb proof... and according to it's specs.. it just about is.. using the hardest aluminum alloy on the market for the center shaft and 6061 alloy for the frame and spool.. the center pin is also constructed hollow to allow for better heat distribution..

The entire frame of the reel is constructed from one solid piece of aluminum bar stock.. even the foot of the reel is built into the frame instead of being screwed on separately..

Features:

• Designed and manufactured in the USA

•4 stainless steel ball bearings for smoothness and durability

•Body and spool are CNC machined out of solid 6061-t6 aluminum

•Oversize Ultra-Strength Alloy 7068 main shaft and disc

•Fully sealed but serviceable drag mechanism for trouble free operation

•Large disc drag for powerful fish stopping action

•Extreme-Temperature PTFE drag system provides low friction

• Easy to use, sure grip drag control knob

• Hollow main shaft cools drag heat faster than conventional solid shafts

• Custom stainless steel/aluminum one-way clutch for reduced weight

• May easily be changed from left to right hand retrieve

• Pop-on, pop-off spool for easy cleaning and line changing

• Reel foot is machined as one with reel body (no screws to come loose)

• Non-glare finish on all exposed parts (great for stealth fishing)

• Handle, counter balance and drag knob are inset. (no line snags)

At 5.8oz and 3 1/4" size... It's not the lightest reel on the market.. But it's also not the heaviest.. But overall this reel looks built well and at a price point that's lower than what most reels with a sealed drag sell for.. also comes with a Lifetime Warranty

Overall this reel looks solid.. and now I just need to get myself a 6wt to match with it... Cost is $180.. Spare spool is $90.. I got the reel for a mere $15 and some persistance wink

P1060541.JPG

P1060542.JPG

P1060544.JPG

P1060545.JPG

P1060546.JPG

P1060547.JPG

P1060548.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

TFO BVK - Price: $225-$250

tfBVK__32438_zoom.jpg

Okay to start out, I've been using the TFO BVK 8# for about the last 4 months. When I was making the decision to purchase a new 8#, I was looking for pretty specific performance on a relatively tight budget. I also just recently picked up a new 6# BVK as well because I like this series so much.

The BVK is a very light, fast action rod, with a lot of power for throwing big flies.You can really sling some feathers out a long distance before you start to lose accuracy. However, the short distance is not as great. If you're only casting 15-20' on average, this rod probably isn't the right one. At 25' and further, this rod absolutely shines. The further you cast, the better this rod becomes. A solid caster will be able to hit dime from 60' out. The sweet spot for this rod, to me, seems to be between about 30'-70'.

These rods has amazing feel as well. When you've got 40'+ of line you're slinging, you really have a good feel for the way the line is loading behind you.

Another feature of these rods that I liked was the size of the cork grip. It's not a very large grip, making it easier to hold onto and cast all day long without the worry of cramps or a tired hand. The cork however, is of lower quality than I'd like. That's just a small complaint though.

My biggest gripe with the BVK is that it doesn't come with a tube! I wouldn't mind paying an extra $20 for a decent tube, so long as it came with one in the first place. It's just a bit irritating as it is something I expect with my fly rods.

The warranty TFO offers is one of the best in the industry. If you ever break your rod, you send TFO $25 and the broken rod, and they'll have a new rod in the mail within the week. That's pretty darn good!

Overall, the TFO BVK is a fantastic rod series. For the price and performance, you'll be hard pressed to find a better rod.

ya thats my one fault with TFO too Tedd. I dont think any of their stuff comes with a tube

That's why personally I haven't bought any TFO rods.. It turns your $220~ rod into a $250~.. they really should just up their prices and include a tube.. it's almost shotty salesmanship.. it's like buying a tent and having to purchase the rainfly separately

• 2 months later...

Korkers Chrome update: Two months after getting a new pair, they are nearly shot... again. NOT a happy camper right now. The boots are falling apart the very same way as before. I haven't even fished that much the last two months.

I just made a call to Korkers, and their company is standing behind it's product. They gave me two options as to what I can do. Option 1 is to send in my boots and they'll overnight a new pair to me. No thanks, I'm done with this model. Option 2 is that in December when their new guide boots are released, I will get upgraded for free to those. Hopefully when I get those, they last me a while. Otherwise I'm going over to Simms.

I love my simms Freestone wading boots.. They still look like they are brand new and i've put my share of mileage on them

btw.. i'd opt not for a BOA system.. laces are where it's at.. i always think if that boa system broke.. you'd be SOL.. laces are easily replaceable and even fixable in the field

I actually prefer the BOA laces to be honest. However, I'm not opposed to laces either. I keep a spare set of BOA's in my trunk just in case mine break.

The KGB's are laced, not BOA, though. The guy on the phone said they are built a bit more rugged too, so they should last me a bit better. He better hope he's right... or else! mad

• 1 month later...

We'll review the rod today... though the reel will be mentioned and the line will be too.

Redington CT 8'6 3wt

PB161651-1.jpg

Redington Drift reel 2/3wt

PB141619-1.jpg

Lined up with Rio Gold WF3F (Found on sale for 35 bucks)

This rod is most definitely a medium action rod... at best. I took it out to a few of my favorite spots over the weekend to give it a shot.

Location 1 was a small creek spot I have around here, that usually has a few bass, sunnies, and rough fish. I chose to start here simply because it's a tight casting lane. tied on a small white wolly bugger and let her fly.

Absolutely no issues. Even short distances this rod loads and casts great. i had thought the water was a bit low, but apparently found the one 'deep' hole that was holding these guys. Fun on a 3wt in a creek you can jump across smile

PB170974-1-1.jpg

Spot two was a more wide open area. And it was a lot windier. Knowing this rod is a medium action rod (at best) i was mildly concerned that it'd be trickier to cast in the wind. It was not.

What really impressed me was the roll casting. Had no problems roll casting a small bugger or stonefly nymph out to 40' (didn't try more than that, but I assure you it would have worked out jut fine).

Yeah.. I bought the rod half off online, but I'd have no issues paying full price for this. Same thing with the line.

PB170978-1.jpg

Nice review slab.. I really enjoyed my day out with my new CT as well... Unfortunately the line I had for it sucked donkey d*ck... But that'll change as soon as my Sharkskin Ultimate Trout Taper comes in.. that I got for a steal at $40

Bring waterproof bandaids with you for the cuts you'll get from the Sharkskin. Other than that and the sound, which you're probably used to thanks to all of my noisy lines, you will like it.

No kidding. That stuff is like sandpaper. Get a super cheap glove and cut the fingers off and wear one or two on your stripping fingers. I had terrible cuts this summer stripping in line while fishing dogfish/carp. Other than a little pain and blood, the line casts great and shoots like nothing I've used before.

Slab - You're still getting out? Doesn't look like the same place we fished a lot. We should get out on the ice this winter.

It's alright.. My hands are so callused and beat up from cooking.. I ain't scurred of a lil fishin line

This winter when we are 3 miles in on Dr. Feelgood and I have to supply you with a bandaid I am going to remind you of what was said here tonight. cool

Nah, j/k. You're probably right. BUT, don't say we didn't warn you!

No kidding. That stuff is like sandpaper. Get a super cheap glove and cut the fingers off and wear one or two on your stripping fingers. I had terrible cuts this summer stripping in line while fishing dogfish/carp. Other than a little pain and blood, the line casts great and shoots like nothing I've used before.

Slab - You're still getting out? Doesn't look like the same place we fished a lot. We should get out on the ice this winter.

I actually made it to that spot sunday morning just to see if I could trick some of the little panfish in there... maybe a bullhead or two. I did not. The spot with the pics is a little creek spot I have been fishing the past 3 or 4 years now. Typically a nice smallie spot.

Definitely game for some ice fishin this winter... I really want to target some carp, have some ideas as to when and how to approach that.

A couple weeks back I had ordered some CCG finally.. Why I hadn't bought this stuff earlier is beyond me.. Actually I knew why I hadn't bought it.. It's expensive.. Or at least I thought it was at first.. That was until I found out that the cheap-o UV flash lights you see on the auction site will work with most UV Resins.. CCG UV Light.. $30.00.. Paid $3.50 for my light... So the Resin seems a bit pricy.. But for nymphs I use nearly nothing.. so a bottle of thin should last awhile.. I can see myself burning through bottles of the Thick for streamers though...

full-29372-26652-p1060804.jpg

full-29372-26653-p1060803.jpg

My overall impression.. The CCG kit would be worth $50.00 if they included 3 bottles of CCG and a $3.50 uv flash light... The Goo itself is amazing and will buy plenty of it..

That's interesting. Good info for sure.

I have the loon UV cure stuff, and that little portable light stinks.

Funny thing is I have a bigger multi led uv light that I haven't tried. Don't ask why i haven't tried it. I cannot give you an answer.

Nice, glad to see you got that CCG. The possibilities really are endless with that stuff. I wish I had that same bottle. Those stinkin' syringes really suck. I am going to make the switch to brushable bottles as I believe that will make applying the stuff a bit easier.

i feel brushes can get sloppy.. As i've witnessed from using brushes with head cement... do the tubes have issues with bubbles? i seem to have problems with getting bubbles in my ccg with the squeeze bottle..

Itch - throw up some pics of flies you tie with that stuff. Looks interesting to me. I assume you just use it to make a body of some sort?

Slab - Carp on the ice. I think I know just the lake.

i feel brushes can get sloppy.. As i've witnessed from using brushes with head cement... do the tubes have issues with bubbles? i seem to have problems with getting bubbles in my ccg with the squeeze bottle..

I wish I could find the needle cap for my loon UV cure stuff.

The brushes do get a little sloppy, but work pretty well for my applications. You makin some buffalo soljas? wink

The brushes do get a little sloppy, but work pretty well for my applications. You makin some buffalo soljas? wink

It's been a pattern I've always wanted to tie... And I do love using PT

@OnAFly.. will post some up tonight.. I've mostly been using it on Flashback PTs... Have tied a couple epoxy back scuds with it too.. I also plan on using it to completely coat some midge patterns and such.. bet it'll add nice shine to a brassie as well... Also seems it'll make any fly tied with it bullet proof.... comes out tacky.. but a quick coat of Hard As Nails makes it look all shiny

I was thinking that too. You would need to hook into a monster to destroy those flies!

This is true.

The euro larvae pattern I tied up in the watcha tyin thread all have loon UV cure backs, finished with a touch of that shiny nail polish finish stuff (not sure what the gals refer to this as)

Like ich said... that stuff just adds a shine to it.

Ich - the first steelfish I ever hooked was on a buffalo soldjah. The steelfish broke my heart, as they all did this year, but apparently that fly works pretty well.

Ironic, considering I tied it to target carp... heh.