• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fiberglass rods!!!

MNFishhunter

Does any one fish them? What do you fish? I bought three of them from Cabela's. 50th anniversary edition rods. I looked at various reviews from the hardcore glass guys and they came out pretty well. I gonna work on casting them (slowing my stroke down a bit) and hopefully catch a few fish.

I have a couple of those rods. I do like a slower rod I got the 5/6 weight cause it seemed like it would be nice for bass and carp. Tbh I wasnt very happy with it. Casts smoothly, but it seems like the guides are almost too small. To me it seemed to not shoot line very well. I went so far as trying to line it with a cortland Sylk line but it didnt seem help. I could see how people would like them and they have a nice soft delivery as glass should. I guess my impression was its a nice rod but not my flavor.

I took out the 7ft 4/5 wgt and the 7'6' 7/8 wgt. I had a SA GPX (5wgt) on one and Airflo Pike/Musky (8wgt) on the other. WOW!!! Very smooth and easy to cast. Super sensitive too. Had no problems with the guides at all. Glass has made an impression on me.

I will probably own the rest in the series by the end of the year.

Tomorrow the 5'9" 3 wgt on a trout stream nearby. I'll see what it does for dry flies. Nice rods for $99.00.

DSCN4956.jpg

DSCN4964.jpg

Sounds like I should have tried the 4/5 or the 7/8. The one I didnt care for was the 5/6. I also have the 3wt that thing is a fun rod. my only fault with that thing is that its only really good for drys and because its only a 6 footer a cast of 15 or 20 feet is a monster. But its a riot to catch anything 12 inches or larger with. I hooked a 12 inch trout with that thing and it bent the tip of the rod to the butt like it was an ugly stick commercial. Also tons of fun to fish panfish on drys with.

oh also watch the bargin cave in Owatonna for them they show up there from time to time pretty heavily discounted. I scored the 3wt there with the plastic still on the cork for 50 bux

I imagine that'll be the case at 5'9". Smaller streams with heavy brush might be a good option or just wishful thinking. I was thinking Gribben and Diamond Creeks.

Did you try nymphing with the 5/6 weight? Probably not a great idea. I have a one year warranty on the 3 rods I bought SO I will try heavy nymphing also. I don't know how it will go. I imagine somewhat dangerous.

• 2 weeks later...