• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
work sucks

Cold Front coming

work sucks

Well, as always, we plan our trip months in advance and never fails. COLD FRONT. cry What are you guys speculating for the fishing this upcoming weekend? Do you think it will affect fishing or is that just an early excuse for me if I don't do as well as some of you have been doing lately?

Carpenter

We are in the exact same boat. Been seeing awesome reports...now cold front. Keeping my fingers crossed.

larson311

The cold front should have pushed through come Friday, is fishing "generally" worse on the back side of a cold front, before, or during? It looks like pretty stable temps Fri-Sun and still warmer than average for this time of year (avg hi is 15 degrees for today).

live4chrome

last time we were up it was 35 below zero, in a cold front and had the best fishing up there to date.

curt quesnell

When fishing is slow, move deeper. If nothing else you will get into Saugers. Deeper

side_laker

Same here heading up tomorrow for the weekend and it's my luck to nice weather all along then I go and it turns cold. Sure hope we can get a nice mess of fish. Where ya all going out of

ENMIFDAD

Heading up with Work Sucks. We are staying an Linder's Hideaway cabins and using their day houses off Adrian's road. Can't wait. Sorry boss, not going to get anything useful out of me today! grin

Carpenter

We're staying at Long Pt and will fish somewhere between there and Zipple.

sitdeer

Work sucks...are you a Rattler by chance?

Eyewitness

The term "cold front" is typically misunderstood as just a change in temperature. It's not the temp change that slows the fishing down. It's the rapid change in barometric pressure that's really the culprit. The more drastic the change after relatively stable weather the more drastic the change in the bite. The longer the weather and pressure stay stable the more consistent the bite remains. Even at -20 deg....

Many other factors can obviously come into play with that scenario that can impact things for better or worse (seasonal patterns for both the fish you seek and what they eat, lake va river, etc...) however there always seems to be fish biting somewhere on that lake no matter what the conditions. wink

LakeoftheWoods

i've always understood stable to mean not changing. ie, a few days in a row of low pressure will get the fish biting again. as will a few days of high pressure. its the rapid pressure change both up and down that turn off the fish. Am I off in this thinking?

bturck

Lakeofwoods: I think you're right one with your theory, at least I subscribe to it for whatever thats worth laugh I agree with the poster above -20 or + 90 is less of an impact than rapidly changing barometer patterns. Three years ago my wife and I crossed Pine Island and the truck temp said -40. Absolutley wind still but straight out cold, and the fishing was great. Temp never got above -23 for 3 days and the bite was consistent the whole time. I'm headed your way Monday morning so I'm optimistic, we'll have to wait and see....Good luck

Eyewitness

pretty sure that's exactly what I just said......:)

greenwinger_13

The term "cold front" is typically misunderstood as just a change in temperature. It's not the temp change that slows the fishing down. It's the rapid change in barometric pressure that's really the culprit. The more drastic the change after relatively stable weather the more drastic the change in the bite. The longer the weather and pressure stay stable the more consistent the bite remains. Even at -20 deg....

Many other factors can obviously come into play with that scenario that can impact things for better or worse (seasonal patterns for both the fish you seek and what they eat, lake va river, etc...) however there always seems to be fish biting somewhere on that lake no matter what the conditions. wink

Couldn't have said it better.. I've been watching barometric pressure the last couple days just to see what was going to happen with it.

Current-29.98 and 0 degrees

12th - 30.00 - 6 degrees

11th - 29.85 - 35 degrees

10th - 29.64 - 42 degrees

You mentioned stable, well those are minor fluctuations, noticeable yes, but not the changes the will screw up fishing in my opinion. Pressure is a little different in the winter because of that ice barrier.. the ice creates some what of a barrier and contains that pressure.. not the mention these walleyes are hanging out pretty deep in the first place so they get plenty of pressure experience.

greenwinger_13

Spelt some stuff wrong but you get the point.

Eyewitness

Yea, there are still lots of variables that come into play. Snow cover, light levels (sun vs. cloudy), etc...Also, seems like in the winter the bite can be an every other day thing if you fish the same spot. Ive noticed that pattern over the years up on LOW. Not that you won't catch fish, but they can be really on one day and off a little the next, then back on again the next. Of course that observation is based on short limited times on the water each trip up so not sure how consistant that is...Either way, LOW is still one the best walleye waters on the planet. Somehow it continues to keep sustaining itself year after year....