• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

technical questions.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• northerndave

• Boar

• Twisted

• WhiskeyPete

I've never used them so I'm not real sure where to find them. Best bet would probably be to start with some of the resorts, you may find some there, especially over on the east end, they seem to always be one up on the rest of the world when it comes to the latest expertise on LOW.

Deer ticks have always worked. I just dont know which is harder to catch right now the deer or the tick. Both slow down with the winter habits.

You certainly do not need a bait bucket, just use your 4 day old shorts. Should be able to source, pick up a breeding pair of them on just about any planes flying out of Washington DC.

You guys are just wasting electrons with this stupid thread. I could be using those electrons to ask if I need my extension up there.

You guys are just wasting electrons with this stupid thread. I could be using those electrons to ask if I need my extension up there.

That would only work if you are using that extention on an electric auger.

Just take the extension of the toaster, one dose not need that long of toaster on LOW usnles you have a garlic bread loaf

Guys, he is talking about bringing his ladder. I usually have a 16 footer for getting across cracks any time and bring the 32' for getting on ice late season. wink

Also great to carry at first ice. If you break thru you only get wet halfways. If the whole works goes thru just extend it and climb right out. Just don't go out deeper than your ladders rated length.

OOOhhhhhh Well that makes sense, ok as long as he gets a permit for a lader crossing he'll be fine. Dont wana be caught on LOW without a laddr permit

With all the talk about electrons, I definitely would go fiberglass and not aluminum ladder. Only the DNR can electrofish legally. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also fiberglass is less painful if you touch a wet body part against it at -20F.

Yea good point but if it was a steele ladder it would open up a direct portal worm hole for sasquatch. Thats why they cant find him, without the ladder he's just waiting for any old portal to open an be near it. If they had a steele ladder then it would be accessable to get from one regeion to another.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll bring a 12 foot fiberglass. I drill two half holes, side-by-side, stick the legs of the ladder in there, then climb up to the top to fish.

It really helps with landing fish over 12 foot. And I also climb up and quick slide down for big jigging.

Probably should bring the 10 inch auger, for the girth.

Just use your open water rods, saves a lot of steps. And don't forget reflectors if you are leaving your ladder overnight.

A ladder is great for early ice, but this time of year a few sections of scaffolding works great. Much more comfortable than a ladder.

I think we need to discuss the 'technical' elements of setting up a portable in the wind over last weekend. We had one moment Thursday where we figured we were about to find the deeper water by using the hub style tent as a parachute... The bait bucket and auger would have been hard to carry, maybe we needed a sled for ballast.

I tied it to the truck and it became a streamer.

We drilled the anchors in and tied it down to keep it sucked down to the ice. The venturi effect on the open door created a low pressure area inside the tent and it started sucking water up the hole. We coulda caught more fish with the door open by way of vacuum.

We drilled a hole and sculpted the slush pile into the mouth of a beer bottle. That way the wind would whistle at the fish to call them in.

The south wind blew all the old snow to Canada on Thursday. Canada got b*tchy about that and sent it back with a sniff of the North Pole. I'm sure -20 is fine for reindeer. But my clam said enough and started breaking windows.

We did notice that the fish were swimming counter clockwise most of the weekend. I spooled my line so it twisted clockwise and that helped trigger the bite in the evenings. Until changed directions. Then I just got tangled up, swore a bunch, and drank too much whiskey.

• 3 months later...

Kids were asking if they could save a chunk of ice with pre-drilled holes that they plan on tying up to the side of the boat this summer. Figuring that regs allow use of two lines if fishing thru the ice. How big a chunk of ice is needed to be legal?

Even thinking could get a refrig unit and maintain a chunk of ice in the bilge area and install some 8" pipe for holes to fish thru. Seems like the perfect setup for July/August. Two lines each and beating the heat.

lakevet

Just remember, all ice sheets 16 feet or longer require a license with 1" numbers clearly visible and an invasive species sticker. Mine is in the shop right now, livewell pump keeps freezing up.

I replaced my pumps with the crushed ice units from a couple of old refrigerator/freezers. Just be sure you have screens in place unless you prefer fish burger.