• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

technical questions.

Anybody know if it's legal to use mud minnows for bait on lake of the woods? Not frozen, just regular live ones.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• northerndave

• Boar

• Twisted

• WhiskeyPete

I think it depends if the water is clear enuf to use an underwater camera. I think out to 28' or so you should be fine.

Alright, but If Babler sells, I aint buying no dang camera just to check for clarity for mud minnows.

But, say I find out he aint selling....

ATV or snowmobile out to 28' for the camera test?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

mud minnows-underwater camera? Am I missing how they go together? confused

ATV or snomobile? I have only heard of ATV's going in this year so as long as you have the extention on your auger, you should be fine.

Wait...... Jiffy or SM?

Ok, yeah ATV's are clearly unsafe this year.

I was thinking of bringing the extention but the extra weight is bothersome. Do you feel it is worth the trouble of the extra weight?

I was going to use an old 10" strikemaster. But it's a single chipper blade unit and it does have the adjustment screws for the carburator. I'm not sure if it's legal anymore.

Should I buy a jiffy?

I think if you purchase a new tier III carburator with the proper certs, you should be fine. It might be easier to get a 12v unit tho.

I would definatly leave that extention on until the perch start to bite on the green/gold jigs.

That's a good rule of thumb.

Well, I drill a LOT of holes and I was thinking of going propane and rigging a 20 pound backpack tank with a hose to the motor.

I want to be the first one out there that can drill 500 holes without refueling.

Hey, exactly when is it ok to remove the piece of skin from the walleye fillet?

Do you have to cook it first then it's ok? Or are you supposed to eat that skin patch in case they want to check the septic tank?

lets say I got the frying pan hot in the fish house, a fillet in my hand, I slice the patch of skin off just as the fish house door opens and there stands the DNR....

And I say "uhh, I'm bout to cook this..."

"sure you were!"

Am I in trouble?

I'm not sure but would it matter if you still had lines in the water?

I can't imagine anyone as helpful as you with your great sense of humor would ever have trouble with the authorities.

What's the best laser range finder for setting tip ups out and being sure you are within legal range?

Oh no, I just thought of something... Sometimes I set my tip ups out and sit in one spot and watch them, and I'm legal distance from my watching spot.

But what if the warden stops to check me and my far flag goes off...

And I start running to it but then I realize I've reached the max legal distance from the far one I set out the other direction and I haven't reached my tripped tip up yet?

Sonofa....

It's good to think these things through. I guess I will set my tip ups legal distance apart from each other and sit between them.

Is it legal to throw lamprey out on the ice and leave them there?

This one keeps me awake at night.

If I want to pull downriggers in the crack by springsteel with my boat, can I still fish 2 lines per person since its winter?

y'all are quite humerous when you get off on ur rants! lol
Holy Cr2p right! I think these guys only want to play by themselves! No one still answered my question?

mud minnows-underwater camera? Am I missing how they go together? confusedsmile

yep, you're missing it.

grin

See what happens when you run those big tracks all over. You think you can just run right over any body! Thanks alot guys! frowngrin

Very good questions! I think I have some answers for a few of them, I’ve listed the original questions and my shot at the answers below:

Question: Anybody know if it's legal to use mud minnows for bait on lake of the woods? Not frozen, just regular live ones.

Answer: They are both legal but definitely do not bring the thawed irregular minnows.

Question: ATV or snowmobile out to 28' for the camera test?

Answer: As mentioned by someone else, definitely the snowmobile but you may want to go beyond 28’. I drilled some holes 28’ from shore and the water was only three feet deep. I thought it was deeper than that so once my auger went through I hit bottom. Also to be noted, when I dropped down my camera the water was cloudy but I am pretty sure it was from stirring the bottom with my auger.

Question: mud minnows-underwater camera? Am I missing how they go together?

Answer: you must have been talking in class, everyone knows this answer.

Question: ATV or snomobile? I have only heard of ATV's going in this year so as long as you have the extention on your auger, you should be fine.

Answer: Again, I agree with the snowmbile and the extension is a must. A 12” extension on the west side is fine but the ice is much better by Pine Island so you may want to consider bringing the 18”; don’t worry about the extra weight.

Question: I was going to use an old 10" strikemaster. But it's a single chipper blade unit and it does have the adjustment screws for the carburator. I'm not sure if it's legal anymore.

Answer: It is legal however, you must use E85.

Question: Take off the leash sometime & see what happens!

Answer: Turn off the invisible fence and it gets really fun.

Question: Back on topic tho. When is the ice going to be thick enough for you to bring your permanent house out?

Answer: The only way to know is to drill some test holes. Be sure to bring your extension otherwise you may not get through and you will not know for sure how thick the ice is and if it is safe.

Question: Hey boar! Help a brudder out, how many feet a wadder for fresh water shrimpin?

Answer: Sorry, can’t help you out with this one, it depends if Babler plows his road. (did he really sell out this year?)

Hopefully this feedback will help out but I have a couple of questions of my own:

What is the most effective jigging technique this year? Should I lift, drop, lift, drop, lift drop or should I jiggle, jiggle, pause, jiggle, jiggle, pause? My buddy says to lift, jiggle, drop, pause but we all know you can’t mix the two techniques.

I’ve also heard that tipping your buckshot with a piece of hot dog has worked well this year. If I try this do I really need to use the expensive all beef skin-on dogs or can I get by with some cheap Ballpark franks?

Finally, our new diesel auger is working great, as long as we use winter blend it does not gel up. We are thinking about installing a AM/FM stereo with a CD player on it. Will we have to put on a larger alternater to compensate for the extra electrical drain?

Were we seperated at birth?

Lmao!

I used my auger to drill 9 holes in my yard for a shed I built this summer. It seemed to still be drilling good on that last hole. Do you think I should sharpen it before I hit the ice with it?

IMG_2136.jpg

Oh, and as to your questions.

What kind of jigging?

Leave the rod alone, run slip bobbers and pump the hole with the ice dipper. But don't talk about it or you might get banned.

Cheap hot dogs work fine.

Cheese filled work best. Also try gummy bears, not worms but bears. Fish love payback, strange but true, they can't resist eating a tiny bear on a hook.

I'd consider an MP3 but you still might need a bigger alt to run external speakers.

Hey Hookedup. Thanks for all of the informative responses. That was exactly what we were looking for.

-The hole pumping thing with a slip auger is really a wonderful technique.

-Any hotdog works as well as another. Da gummy bears rule!

-I'd consider a sattelite radio system on your auger since it will draw less than a CD player. Of course if you are thinking an amp, sub, surround system, you may want to go with a large alternator.

I have a 135 amp Delco on my auger and it powers everything fine. Be sure to let it charge up a bit after turning down the volume so you have enough juice to light up them glow plugs the next time you fire it up.

I can't believe the amount of information in this one thread. Sticky?????