• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

technical questions.

I know this may not seem like a technical question, but hang with me... whats the water clarity like this year?? hopefully theres a few jabbers out there that have some recent testimony, we talking ice tea or chocolate milk(2%).

Most jabbers don't drink ice tea or chocolate milk. That is likely why not much response from them. Better off asking how far down they could see their cell phone before it disappeared. Be sure to ask if they dropped it when talking (jabbers usually don't text, as they want to keep one hand free for the jab) or if it just slipped out of their pocket when they were trying to catch the truck keys that preceded the phone. If you luck into talking to one of the the younger ones that had a smart phone, they may have had an water clarity app. Then just hope the phone was on when dropped in the hole so the app would be working.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• northerndave

• Boar

• Twisted

• WhiskeyPete

My technical display this morning was showing these numbers.

Resampled_2012-12-10_05-45-12_90.jpg

The top numbers are temperature, the bottom numbers are water clarity.

It looks like the outdoor waters are at 42% today.

Indoor water is at 33%

So, I would guess that if you want 33% clarity you should fish in fish house, then you can claim the area below the house as a basement. The water will be 33% on clarity.

If you prefer 42% you will have to fish outside.

If it's getting cloudy, then the barometric pressure is dropping, and the fish get hungry.

But if the clarity is bad, they can't see your bait.

So you have to use scented baits.

I have an assortment of minnow slatherings on hand at all times for these conditions. I can’t give away all of my secrets but here are a few that most guys already know about.

Maple syrup on a chub for eater walleyes all day under these conditions.

Bacon lard on a jumbo frozen shiner for trophy eyes (hand mixed glitter sparkle lard works best)

Sharp cheddar cheese in a can. Inject a thawed cisco with the cheese can stem, both ends of the cisco, plump em up real good and send it down on a hook for big pike. (hang on to the rod really tight)

If it was cloudy but now it's getting clear, just go home. Barometer is on the rise, fish can't bite. It puts pressure on the cheek nerve, like that vulcan shoulder grip thing spock does. Fish can’t bite with barometric pressure on the cheek nerve.

Unless you use….

I really shouldn’t say…

Gummy bears, cider….

I’ve said too much.

Thank you for all the info. you guys ever thought about starting up a consulting buisness on LOW. anyway just wanted to know so I bring the correct dish soap for making hamburgers. got the wheelbarrow loaded up and ready to hit the lake.

No sense in boguarding secrets. If the bite's not turned on in your house, nothings gonna work anyways. And if the bite is turned on, well, than they ought to eat fathead minnows if thats all you got. Right?? Or not....

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Dude, not sure if you are just being funny? Sometimes it's hard to tell on this forum? shocked But the bottom two numbers are for Humidity or how much water is in the air. Not how clear the water is! whistle

Oh silly me. Reading back through this thread nothing makes Cents! Carry-on with the non-cents! wink

Humidity is almost always 100% in regard to clarity because its measured under water.

Don't you mean that water clarity is always measured under water and is always humid 100% of the time? wink

but if its cloud outside an the water clarity is cloudy the hunidity cancles itself the n resets for 100% humidity so the clarity is good. I think.

I think that could be the best advice in this whole thread!

I'll grab my rods if someone wants to pick me up on their way!

I don't know about the rest of you, but high humidity almost always makes my "cancles" hurt much worse.

Thanks for the clarification on the clarity question for the sake of clearness.

I think my wife uses a clarifying product on her hair? If I pour her hair product down the ice hole will it improve the water clarity, or will it only result in fish with silky smooth hair?

I don't know about the rest of you, but high humidity almost always makes my "cancles" hurt much worse.

Thanks for the clarification on the clarity question for the sake of clearness.

I think my wife uses a clarifying product on her hair? If I pour her hair product down the ice hole will it improve the water clarity, or will it only result in fish with silky smooth hair?

Does your wife have something for scaly skin? That may help the fish more if you dump that down the hole instead! But it may not help the humidity level in the lake? wink

Need a little help. What is the best way to test auger blades to see if sharp enough?

I have been using the sliced boot method, but getting expensive and boots get heavier after putting on the 5th layer of GOOP. The hand method a high school buddy likes to use isn't bad, but then it is easy for guys to follow your blood trail to your best fishing spots. Might also explain why I saw so many wolves following me muzzleloader hunting this year.

Any thoughts?

I usually use the same method as I do for hunting knives.

If they shave hare, they are sharp.

Mine is ready to go.

Rooontoes.jpg

What if you don't have much Hare? The wife doesn't like to test sharpness! full-27051-27582-imagescahx82gz.jpg

full-27051-27583-imagescaxzss4c.jpg

You might have to catch a wild hare.

That's what I do.

Have you been in the woods trying to find a hare lately? They should be on the endanger list! shocked

If I did find one, which would be better for testing? Cotton or Snowshoe? confused

We have more snowshoe than cottontail up here.

I've used jack rabbit before, but I aint as young as I used to be.

Here's a tip, if you shine a jackrabbit in a field, and leave him froze in the spotlight as you make a big loop around behind him.... And you actually sneak up on him because the noise from your running truck engine masks the noise of your feet sneaking up on him...

Wear carharts, and gloves. Because when you jump on a live jackrabbit with wool bibs on and no gloves...

Ooof.

A couple of things happen. One, the rabbit is long, you can hold him out in front of you by the neck but he can still reach you with his back legs. The back feet have claws, the claws hook in the wool bibs and he can climb as he kicks, all the way up the bibs to your face. He will kick you in the face, this will scratch your face and neck. And he will bite you in the hand. You can shake him wildly by the neck but his neck won't break. You will have to run with him in your hand, back to the truck. He will beat you up the whole way. And the noises... oh the noises are bad.

When you get back to the truck you can relax him with a sharp blow to the head from a shotgun barrel. You might do this if you don't have any shotgun shells for the shotgun.

This will stop the biting and kicking.

Shotgun shells would make it way easier.

Like I say, I'm not as young as I used to be. So these days I try to stick with snowshoe or a nice tame hare from the pet store.

I never understood all the old timer talk about "Is it sharp Jed?" "Yessir, it'll shave hare."

I never understood why it's got to be a hare, why not a house cat or the neighbor's dog? Something simple? There must be something about a hare....

grin

(disclaimer, parts of this post are based on actual events that actually occurred)

The disclaimer wasn't necessary. The detailed explanation obviously couldn't have come from anything other than personal experience.

A much more efficient way to capture and control a wild hair? Cover them with 5 layers of GOOP.

I still prefer the sliced boot method.

My wife actually uses a Ped Egg to "sand down" the hardened skin on the heels of her feet (please don't tell her I told you). I use the powdery residue from this process as a topping for pasta!