• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

technical questions.

boar,

The mud minnow school always hang downwind of Gull Rock. No one dares to venture there to find the school due to the aroma of the walleye flavored cormorant rock paint. They are the only creatures on earth that like that particular smell...

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• northerndave

• Boar

• Twisted

• WhiskeyPete

I seen swarms of mud minnows this weekend in the shallows. At one time I am almost positive that I saw one mating with a mayfly so I don't even want to ponder what kind of creature that will bring. It may be a complete new thread for that one.

Anyone know the state ecord for mud minnow, Think im gona pursue that prestigeous title.

Boar,

There are multiple species of mud minnows, so you have multiple records you can break. Here are a couple of the species I am aware of:

1) Mud ball minnow- my kids like these cuz they ball up when you hold them and are great for hitting your brother behind the ear. When you get the hang of it you can get the dorsal fin spines to stick in your brother's skin. No good for bait as they just ball up when put on a hook. Unless you step on them to flatten them out first. State record is 2.148756 inches. Before stepped on.

2) Sticky mud minnow- These are easy to get out of the bait bucket as they stick to your hand when you put it near them. State record is 2.148757 inches

3) Stinky mud minnow- name says it all. Great catfish bait. State record is 2.148755 inches

4) "Clear as mud" minnow- actually not a mud minnow. If you get one don't claim it is one unless you want to give your friends more ammo to raze your lack of fish ID skills. Record reported to be about 2.148756 inches or about 2.345678901 centimeters but depends alot on how you measure, length or height or width or diagonal or mouth open or mouth closed, oh don't forget to pinch the tail, unless its friday the 12th. Is that clear?

They are good for fishing. They are the minnow that inspired Rapala to make their glass minnow series Rapala lures.

Others may have better advice then us for catching mud minnows for hook & line records. With all the rain/flooding we are having here, the kids just get the mud minnows for fishing at the same time as they are picking nightcrawlers coming out of the mud at night in the yard. They also are finding them when weeding the mud patch we usually call a garden.

lakevet

LMAO! thats good stuff. Had i known this I woulda broke all kinds of mudminnow records with my brother decades ago. Thanks I'm off to the mudminnow grounds in hot pursute of new all tackle records in these fore mentioned catagories.

Boar,

Almost forgot about the Stick in the Mud minnow. Blends into the bottom by looking like a stick. Catches fish just as good as if you put a stick on your hook for bait. State record is 2.148753 inches. Fun to have in the bait bucket when you are giving the old guide treatment to your mother in law.

lakevet

Ha, I just read about the most common subspecies "Heres Mudminnow in your eye" Catching to many results in vision impairment an a very swollen head the next day, with a need to talk much smarter than u already are

Heard about the "one tough mudder minnow" but can't find any references or details. Anyone else have info on that?

And are mudder tires named that way because they are effective in catching mud minnows in the treads? Is that why the DNR has all those new regs about not using those tires driving thru wetlands..cuz it is too hard on the mud minnow population?

We should do some resaech on that, but this weekend Im heading over to cass lake in hope to find the elusive mudd restler, I hear the females are spawning. laugh

Maybe the weekend after that. We could make a killing developing a catch and release tread pattern for mudders! Then the DNR could drop the regs against the kids mudding with vehicles in the swamp out back. Nothing keeps kids out of trouble for a while like trying to get a totally buried truck out. Course they still would have to power wash it off so not to spread any aquatic invasive species mud minnows to any other swamps. I hear they will be requiring AIS mud minnow bumper sticker on all off road vehicles for deer season this year. Any idea how they got into Minnesota?

lakevet

The secret reason the DNR doesn't want you to dump bait in the lake is to not feed the water fleas. I cannot even take my dog fishin anymore due to the fear he will jump in and become infested...

toddb,

Does my dog need an AIS flea sticker? Where does it get stuck to be compliant to the regs? How bout the kids?

lakevet

what if they reversed the magnetic flow to the west or east then would it pull the bad stuff out and allow the good stuff to survive? eek

Vet I think they migrated to minn. on the backs of camel mussels. not sure but I think they attach to there feathers to pik of the mites.

Vet ,

The dog does not need a sticker as long as he does not come in contact with the infested water. If he does you have to give him a bath in reduced sodium tomato juice and let him dry for 5 days to make sure you have killed the fleas and any eggs. If he happens to drink any lake water you might as well quarantine him for 5 days as you will need to collect any biological discharge to be sure he does not contaminate any other bodies of water. If your dog does violate any of these rules you will have to put a sticker on each foot and make him walk around funny til he figures out what he did wrong...

As for the kids, better leave em home if they plan on swimming in infested waters. If the DNR catches them lettin loose in the lake, you may have big problems as they may have swam in other infested waters recently. Also, make sure you do a thorough inspection when they get out of the water, one can never be too sure...

Yeah, had a game warden today tell the kids they now put a dye in the lake water that is clear and harmless, unless you let loose in the lake. Then a chemical reaction occurs that turns the water fluorescent green (infested waters) or orange (not infested waters) . This only occurs right around you and also stains your legs. Also makes you scratch uncontrollably so they can pick you out with long pants on. The drones over head pick it up and pages the nearest game warden with gps way point. Hear it also will stain the side of your boat, and works when dye containing water is frozen to catch those ice fishermen who think no one is watching. Seems they catch a lot of ice fishermen with itchy stained fingers. When you pay the fine they give you the removal chemical to get the dye off whatever it is on. And kill the itch.

Man the technology has come a long way since my swimming instructor told us about it back in the day. Still don't know why dad laughed when I told him about it after my first lesson.

lakevet

"Minnow Exchange Program", and "package your baits individually". I laughed so hard I think I pee'd a little!

Bring back Dave! Bring back Dave! Until then I'm going back to pages 5-7! That's some "clever" technical help there! laugh

I'm so tickled to see that Burbot Ball hasn't died! My friends and I actually originated the game of Burbot Ball back in 76'...a hallmark year for Lake of the Woods!

Not a lot of complicated rules involved in this game. It simply requires the unabashed abuse and misuse of an extremely valuable state resource, of which the MN authorities would be offended to the point of uncontrolled bowel movement, nausea and projectile vomiting.

The "Burbot Totem" is an intriguing idea, yet somehow I feel this would almost certainly require the use of a 34 ft ice scooper. I wonder if this item might be coming up for sale at a nearby DNR auction?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry I've been gone for a while. Me and the boys have been busy running our trapline.

mudminnow trapline that is.

Got some real dandy's too!!

IMG_1481.jpg

A couple nice ones here.

IMG_1484.jpg

looka these beauties!!

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

Winter will be here before you know it and I'm going to be ready with the right bait this year!! Woooo!!

I'm sure Dave released the slot minnow back to the infested waters. CPR (Catch Picture Release) He knows the rules as well as anyone. Just ask.

Actually I have very large hands, this rare tiger mud variety is above the slot. (trophy)

I should have it back from taxidermist next week.

The girth is amazing, I know I shattered the state record, but I don't care about that stuff.

Wigwam and sportsman's have been calling me already, wanting to buy it to display at their lodges.

It's on loan to field and stream for 6 months first, then I'll likely just donate it to a good cause. Perhaps something like that nonprofit lake of the woods ice house pole dancer's school that greenbush feller started. He seems like a nice guy with good intentions.

I'm peeing again, but I have no plans to drink it! I should maybe save it for Bear?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I got a new honda 2000 generator, I like it but it's too quiet.

I want to either straight pipe it to a megaphone or use it to run an amp and a set of concert speakers, put a mic by the exhaust... Possibly both, straight pipe/megaphone, to a mic amplified through huge speakers....

I'm also considering putting a recording of John Force's funny car dragster on a loop and rigging up a huge speaker to one of the outlets on the honda so whenever it's running it just plays the loop of the Force funny car engine at 10,000RPM.

I also have a new electric ice auger with the same problem, so far I guess my best idea for the auger is to just rig up an air horn to the power switch just so I can get some kind of noise when I drill the holes.

I'm open to suggestions for both of these problems though.

You could simply install the "Air Horn" app on your smart phone. Get about 3 inches of velcro, attach one side to the back of said smartphone and the other to the auger. Prior to drilling a hole, turn on the air horn app and attach to auger.

Noise problem solved.

Oh my gosh, that was easy.

I feel silly for asking now. blush

I actually might go with the alcohol dragster engine app. I like that sound better than air horn but I couldn't find that engine sound in can form. All I could find for noise in a can was that horn noise.

I got new genrator also an with the velcro idea will down load the general lee's horn, an an the number 1 smash hit from lional richie "All night long" Gona run my generator "All night Long" Lional richie rules! Rock on Lional! Yeah! Gona be "Dancing on the cieling" in my ice house to Lional ritchie "All Night Long" Cant wait! Man Im pumped, bill you can come over for some wine coolers. Hey wine coolers on me!