• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

technical questions.

Guys Im coming up this coming thursday do I need to bring my allen wrench if drilling in the wheelhouse?

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• northerndave

• Boar

• Twisted

• WhiskeyPete

Great so now I have to buy a satelite! Anybody know where I can pick one up. Does anybody up there have them or should I look down here?

I am thinking about going up in March to pop the pike. I have an extra satellite dish so will bring that. Do I point it up, or down.

Boar, do suggest Gummy Bears--or Gummy worms. If I cut a channel, since I'll be fishing shallower and the ice will be thinner--right? Could i just fish the gummy worms like a big sluggo. I mean a trench about a foot wide and 25-50 feet long so I can drive the truck back and forth along the trench and troll for the pike. unless there is a DNR restriction on this.

As always, I listen to the sages on the post who are most knowledgable.

Run the wires to a 4 wheeler an point the dish down, it stimulates feeding in prespawn pike, actually i dont use gummy anything for pikn' candy corn is the main stay, hey give me a heads up, might be up there wen ya go, ha, might be. later baor

I broke my uterus drilling holes with tow extensions last year. Will I need 3 this year? I think i am all healed up now.

Still no luck to finding a satellite. But I do.have.a line on a slightly used jet engine from a helicopter its in Florida somewhere. Has a litle fire damage but I don't think.its that bad. Going to.modify it so.that I can mount it on my 8" lazer.

Is there any other damage to that jet engine aside from fire damage? I would check for a full jetfax report just to make sure it wasnt a insurance salvage. LOL What a fireball on the 500 last night!!

I broke my uterus drilling holes with two extensions last year. Will I need 3 this year? I think i am all healed up now.
Actually a really funny story in retrospect.

Last March my buddy and I were on LOW near Twin Islands. We knew the ice was going to be thick so I had my extension on right off the bat. Well, in the first spot we tried, it wasnt enough to get through. We were thinking this is going to be a long dam day, no hole hopping. My buddy had his extension so we put it on too. Well, that made it through. Trouble is we needed a step ladder practically to run the dang auger because of its overall length.

We were wondering what the heck is going on, this ice is incredibly thick. Anyways, I am laughing my butt off as we take turns drilling through the nearly 5 feet of ice and I look around at the others watching us (my buddy was standing on the seat of his snowmobile). They had to be thinking look at those rednecks!

Anyways, it turns out we must have set up right on an old road. No idea it was because there were no banks around or anything and otherwise hard snow.

The spots we tried later only required 1 extension, but we sure had a good laugh.

• 1 month later...

Was wondering if any one knows if the mud minnows are done spawning yet, I gota good pikling recipe an wanna try it.

They were going to have an early mud minnow spawn so mud minnowing didn't fall on mothers day.

But Dayton had already made plans and locked in reservations and camera crews so....

Awsome! Im so glad that the state government can control such important issues as muddminnow spawn. Im gonna run for state office so i can get my muddminnow net half cost.

Soooo, I take it that Mud Minnows have decided to spawn without being under the ice. I thought they always spawned when the lake had ice. Or, are there spots where a person can still drive out on the ice there. (If anyone answer "yes" you will have people trying to pull houses out tomorrow.) Finally, where I fish on LOW there is not a lot of mud--need i move to mud to find mud minnows for fishing, and as Boar states--Pickling? If so, then where can i find shiners. I assume where the sun shines as opposed to mud minnows where the sun never shines?

(sorry, what is the mud minnow limit?)

Ive found that bring many buckets of mudd an emptying over the side will atrract herds of mudd minnows but with todays aquatic envasive species regulations i dont advise that, so I resort to mudd calling which attracts swarms of mating mudd minows. I recall the limit is 1 over 3.5 inches an 2 under 10 inches but only one can be female with a adipose fin removed during egg stripping. Cant wait!

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have the current water temps on LOW? I was wondeering if the water temp begins to drop now that the days are getting shorter.

Does anyone have the current water temps on LOW? I was wondeering if the water temp begins to drop now that the days are getting shorter.

It should really start to cool off now.

It's not safe to drive on yet though.

Was up last weekend and I'd say it was medium cool. Probably did cool down a bit this week with the longer nights. I'm at Lake Bemidji today and I'd estimate it medium warm. Spose its further south

Wow I was actually thought about that for a second, The answer is no. But the days are getting shorter cause the water is dropping due to the aquatic equinox from the tidle pools magnetic pull.

Boar,

The reason the water level is droppin is cuz all them little green algaes are drinkin it... Happens every year bout this time wink

Actually it is because the algaes consumption volume exceeds the input volume of fluid from fish and fishermen relieving themselves. That is why the DNR wants you not to dump bait into the lake wink It is good thing algae just swell up instead of relieving themselves.

Yea but all them little green algees, have really low hemoglobin at this stage in their life cycle, this would it effect the water consumption of little green algies? Plus their overies are shrinking. My bachlors degree in algeanetiisizm has my publish master thesis on this rare but documented occurence. I think your confused with little green planktons, as they absorb water they swell 100 times their size an eventually push all fish north ward an deeper as were seeing now. Samller fish have adapted to survive with in the small air pockets between the swelling of the plankton, we need the mudmnnows to migrate back south cause they feed on the plankton in the fall which of course will give room for the fall run of algea up the rainy an species will follow.

The secret reason the DNR doesn't want you to dump bait in the lake is to not feed the water fleas. I cannot even take my dog fishin anymore due to the fear he will jump in and become infested...

ahhh yes cause water fleas can consume ten times their actual weight in food an not grow in size till their tenth gestation period in adult flea stage.

Boar,

I have a B.S. In b s and know a plankton from an algae. They may be similar in appearance but if you fish all day in 90 degree heat and drink 9 bud lights(not 8 or 10), it is very easy to tell the difference. I fished yesterday in the heat and did not have any bud light hence the fact I only saw algae, and no plankton. Did have 9 bud lights when I got home and I did see plankton in my dreams so I know this works grin. Learned this technique from my college entomology professor...

What is causing the influx of plankton is the fact that all the very carnivous mayflies are losing their teeth(kinda like northern pike in February). This is why they leave the lake as they are looking for food they can eat without teeth. When they leave there are no natural predators left to control the plankton. Of the many Ephemeroptera species out there the LOTW species is one of the most fierce and feared.

Mayflies do not eat the algae due to the fact that they are full of water and it makes them feel bloated. Now that the mayflies are is this weakened state the algae and plankton have no natural predators and will be seen in the upper 2 feet of the water column.

Well thats the whole basis for this thread is the talk,but we still havent figured out where the mudminnows spend their night life an this is keeping me up at night wille consuming copius amounts of pilsner as I cross county ski in the summer on the mayflie carcases that litter the shoreline without teeth, maybe the mudminnows are seeking refuge with in those piles of dead mayflies, in which case I will submit my theroy to the DNR an request funding for research.