• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Cookie

cookie129

Once the houses are off the lake for the season it seems I get writers block as there is just not a lot happening at this time of year for me. My big plan for storing the houses back fired and my land where I store them needs some grooming to get the houses stored the way I would like them. Our daughter and grand kids moved back to the cites so I have spent some time getting the cabins back in order for the up and coming season.

Next week i will think about getting the boat out of storage and getting her ready . If the weather turns for the better we may spend some time looking for the elusive upper red lake crappie before opener..

Hey Cookie, did you guys get any snow last night? We got over a foot of that wet heavy stuff in Hibbing.

Hey Mike .The snow missed us. I know I'm ready for some warmer wearther though.

Hey Cookie,

Hope all goes well with figuring out your shack storage issue. Let me know if something changes cause the boys and I are still counting on coming up the thurs or fri after opener to stay in California.

P.s. good luck finding the elusive URL crappie!

Will

I see tyler found a couple elusive yet catchable upper red lake slabs yesterday. I'll be getting the boat out of storage next week as the Greek Bob, Ty and Rick are coming up next weekend to do a little work on our deer hunting area and work on the greeks cabin.

Cookie, tell the Greek to give us a call and let us know what he has been up to. I haven't talked to him for quite a while but I know he has had a lot on his plate. Have fun & good luck rippen lips!

• 3 weeks later...

My guest arrived around 10 saturday morning. She was a little windier then I wanted but we headed out. Getting on the lake with the shallow water is a booger.Just a heads up once you pass the last marker stay to the left. There are rocks to the right further out to the north. Manuvering through the boats anchored in front of the mouth was also tricky. We headed south and drifted from 8 feet intp 4 dragging jigs with fatheads. The sheephead kept us busy fron 8 to 6 feet. We stuck it out for 3 hours and managed to get 3 keepers. The guys had had enough of the waves so we came in. Saturday eve we headed out a 6 and the fishing was much better and the winds and wave action was also much better, We landed a walleye every drift with some to small 3 oe 4to big with the biggest a 20 incher, Me ended up with 4 keepers. for the evning . The guys staying down at the lake managed to catch quite a few fish .Jim and Wayne got there 8 but spent most of the day on the lake. Lyle staying on my river lot and his two pals also got there 12 and satyed on the lake most of the day. It was diffintly the slowest opener here but it was also the windiest.

Cookie,

Good to hear that the sheephead are biting, cause I'm affectionately known as the

"shepard" in my group whistle

See ya Thursday.

Will -

Well the second weekend has come and gone. The weather was much better and everyone got on the lake and caught fish this weekend. We had a full house with 21 fishermen here. After June first we have no one? Mid June our slot goes up to any walleye under 20 inches can be kept.

The big pike should be biting by then as I'm after a 40 inch plus. We have to release all pike 26 to 44 inches . We stilll have a chance for are elusive upper red lake crappies for another two weeks then they seem to dissapear.

• 3 weeks later...

Memorial weekend my brother was up from chicago with a couple of buddies. A cold front had blown in and the winds were stong out of the northeast. We stuggled to catch fish . We did manage to catch a few bigger walleyes but it was slow. Yesterday with no wind and 80 degrees trollong a spinner was the ticket as I caught 4 walleyes with in 25 minutes. I also spent a little time looking for the elusive upper red lake crappie with no luck Red lake is so different then the traditional walleye lake where you want a walleye chop. You do not get many but some of the best days I have had on red lake it was dead calm.

The fishing has been outstanding the last 5 days. That may end as the winds are on there way. Westwinds bait/cleaning shack had many many buckets of guts when we cleaned our fish last night. Had a big fish fry yesterday at westwind.. The cabins are again empty for the weekend. Not sure where all the boats come from .Must be other resorts with in driving distance. They sure are not staying here in waskish?

With the wind howling out of the southwest we decided to give it a shot, The first thing I did not like how the boat was hitting the lake floor inbetween the waves as we went out the mouth of the river. Once we were on the lake there were some pretty goood waves. We started trolling spinners right away and darn if we did not catch a fish within minutes. It surprised me as we kept getting one here and there as we traveled along.After about 2 hours jenny was not feeling so well so we came in.

We are still seeing quite a few smaller fish in that 13 inch range.

Talk to 3 different groups of fishermen yesterday and they all said the same thing. The fish quit biting? We did have a windy day friday but they bit good saturday? I do have one gentlemen coming friday for the green cabin and 4 for the blue cabin so that will be nice to have some fishermen here.

Today I was meeting Mike and his camraman for a fall fishing show/commercial but I think the wind is going to keep us off the lake. Tomorrow morning we may get out but only mother nature knows for sure.

4 foot waves in the background does not seem like a good idea with me.

Yesterday we were able to get on the lake with Mike his dad Tom and Adam the camra man. Lets just say it was a adventure for sure. The wind was coming out of the west around 12 mph. With the waves breaking over the last two sand bars I came to a stop in between the last two and took a 5 foot wave over the bow. Once we got out of that bad situation . Things were much better. That will be the last time I go out from the river with 4 foot rollers as I sure do not want to damage my boat for a fish.. With the stirred up from the high winds on monday we headed out to deeper water. It started off with a bang as the first drift Tom had one on and lost it. the second drift I landed a plump keeper. After many more misses and some lost tackle from snags we managed to land a total of 3 keepers in the two hours we fished.All in all it was agood time considering we were driftinf in 4 foot waves

Ken has done fairly well this weekend dodgeing the weather, he has landed 24 walleyes. Bob and his crew in the other cabin never went on the lake after friday . Sorry guys maybe next time.

I was out of town for father day . Did a little bass fishing and landed 4 small ones

Ken headed home yesterday with his 4 keepers. He battled the wind all three days he was here but managed to catch close to 30 fish for his efforts. Before he left he made a reservation for him and his daughters this up and coming ice season.

Steve and his brother were out battleing the waves yesterday and managed to get 3 keepers. They plan on fishing today before they head home.

I did notice this year we did not have all the boats the day the slot went up. In the past it looked like opener out there. I totally expected quite a few boats being the 15th fell on a friday. I imagine the winds kept them from coming for the day from other resorts in the surrounding area

I dont think a lot of people are ventureing north with Mille Lacs on fire as all the boat ramps are on overflow there. Lake of the woods is also kicking out lots of fish and the wind hasnt done you guys any favors on the east side of URL. Dont see much for reports in this forum either which isnt a good sign.

Heading up tomorrow morning. Any pointers for a couple dumb rangers. Also what time does dr tackle open up for bait? Think we plan to land at public access by the campground should we fish up there or come down and fish. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ken caught all his fish trolling between 4 and 7 feet . Steave and his brother were drifting in from 8 to 9 feet. Last time I was out we fished the rock and missed more then we caught. Not sure what time dr tackle opens , You can get bait here in town at 6am

Hit the north shore.Way west. Did good there 3 wknds in a row stay shalllow for keepers

• 3 weeks later...

I've been out a few mornings the last couple of weeks . I mostly runs spinners and have caught keepers in any where from 5 to 7 feet of water. I have also caught a couple nice fish sunday trolling a jointed rapala in 6 feet of water. The last time I was out at the rock I also managed two keepers in the short time I was there. All in all the fishing has been good . Rodger was up saturday, sunday .They caught a few fish on the smaller side and also let a 19 go that they thought was to big.

I would like to get the wife out a couple evnings this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Jake,Jenny and Gabrial came up wednesday night for a day and a half of fishing. We spent aouple hpurs on the lake and only managed 1 keeper a couple small dinks and a few sheephead . The highlite was when Gabral caught a small crappie in front of my place.full-1934-22465-524159_462258167126996_7

Yesterday was much better fishing deeper by the rock we managed to get 8 keepers for the day plus a few sheephead,one perch,,2 small pike and two lines snappers. It was nice taking them fishing as I can only fish so much alone.

Jake,Jenny and Gabrial came up wednesday night for a day and a half of fishing. We spent aouple hpurs on the lake and only managed 1 keeper a couple small dinks and a few sheephead . The highlite was when Gabral caught a small crappie in front of my place.full-1934-22465-524159_462258167126996_7.

Yesterday was much better fishing deeper by the rock we managed to get 8 keepers for the day plus a few sheephead,one perch,,2 small pike and two lines snappers. It was nice taking them fishing as I can only fish so much alone.

spent a couple hours fishing yesterday morning trolling fora pike with no luck.

on a side note i'm looking for a 350 gm car to make a enduro car . 2 or four door does not matter but want a chevy. It also has to be stock. anybody anybody

• 4 weeks later...

Wow does it feel good to feel good.

We took our first ice fishing reservation yesterday. Bring it on. Lets all hope for a awesome ice fishing season this coming up year.

Sounds like the walleye bite is finally picking up with the cool evnings the fish are starting to relate to the shoreline breaks.Looking forward to a great fall of fishing.

Fall fishing/golf special.

Have a nice stay here for 2 nights and I will provide two free rounds of golf in badette.50 miles one way. Golf and fish low one day and upper red lake 1 day.

I expect some good fishing to come . After sept 15th bring your shotgun a and grouse hunt I will supply Bella my grose hunting lab. If you would like.