• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

cookie129

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Cookie

cookie129

fishing reports from the shores of upper red lake.

We /Phil and I got out yesterday just for a hour before I had to go to work. Managed two fat keepers and missed a couple of fish. We were fishing down where the water get a little deeper closer to shore .Alll Our fish and misses came in six feet of water. Phil was dragging a orange floating jig with a lindy sinker about 12 inches up the line while I was slow trolling a gold and red spinner. Phil got both keepers while all I could do is swing and miss. It was still nice to see Phil catch a couple as I usaly outfish him.

cookie129

Tallked to 4 guys from tenstrike at north country store at lunch time today and they were done with there 16 fish. 4 feet of water was there magic depth.

cookie129

I wet a line yesterday morning before work. Missed 5 bites and lost one keeper at the boat. Working all day its hard to get out after work and the last couple weekends I have been trying to get all the stuff done that I should of been doing this summer. A small touch of procastinating on my part.

cookie129

Dan,danand mel were up for the weekend to get the new carpet in the fish houses Minnesota and montana. They installed a indoor outdoor carpet and it looks nice. They were able to get out a couple of times as they decided to bring there own boat. They ended up with 7 real nice sized keepers bobber fishing. that surprised me that they only wanted to bobber fish but thats the way they like to fish. They aslo went out to center bar and caught a couple of them there. i did get out for about a hour with the grandson. he is 4 so kinda of a handfull. We trolled spinners and may of missed two as the minnows were gone but we never landed a fish. It also sounds like the pike were on a bit of a frenzy as Dan landed a 33 and they lost two others. Plus I have heard there were a few others that also had a big fish on this weekend.

RogersResort

Good to see someone catching fish, all is quiet here on the south shore.

cookie129

I have 3 of our four houses onthe lake at this time. I pre fished florida just at dusk last night and got 1 fat keeper and missed one on th erattle wheel. That was good enough for me and I expect Mike and his son should catch a couple of fish today, I had a call after dark last night from jigglestick and goose as they were looking for a place to crash. I kinda broke my rule and since the heat was on I put them in florida for the night. It will be interesting to see how they did over night.

jigglestick

Thanks Cookie! you saved the day cool we were on our way back from a long day fishing to the north of you and most of our catch being saugers, it just felt right to stop in and see you.

the house was very confortable. we are already in the plans to make one just like it.

after a visit at the temple, we headed out to the house and dropped lines. I had two fish one almost right away both got off. it was a bit slow after that but heck, it was after 10:00 pm. we kepty one rattle reel down and fell asleep to a movie. the nice thing about sleeping on the top bunk is when a rattle reel goes off, I got to wake Goose, then he'd wake up to retrieve the fish. first one was a 19 inch throw back, then an hour or so later, a 16 incher keeper. the third at 5:30 was a swing and a miss and the we caught one more this morning at 18 inches. that would have been a nice fish sandwich.

cookie.jpg

being pinned down on Winnie all winter, this is a nice break to the long winter that lies ahead. can't thank you enough.

remember, when you on the edge, give me a call, I'll talk you down grin

cookie129

Make sure the top window is horizontel and above the mattres. Also the window above the sink should be a slider. Good luck with that project and thanks for stopping in it was good to see you guys.And tell Goose thanks for the ride/drive in the new machine.

cookie129

Sean with his 37 incher and the after math

full-1934-15174-394016_322420474444100_1

cookie129
full-1934-15175-378675_322395261113288_1

cookie129

day 3 and I'm all ready to move three houses to greener pastures.Bob, Gene and andy did not do to well but seemed to enjoy there stay just getting away. You also could not of asked for nicer guys.

Just like in the past the houses always burn out after 1 or two days of fishing. Florida and montana will be moved in the morning . California will be staying put for now.

Sten,Jim amd Randy have been in old minnesota a better part of the day and have some type of action all day. They had a few nice perch on the ice and had landed a 21 and 18 inch walleye. I missed a fish on the rattle wheel while I was visiting and nabbed a nice perch on my tip up. Sten lost a fish at the hole that looked like a keeper. They headed to happy hour just as the sunset. I think they will have some action tonight so tomorrow we will see if I'm right.

6 days in and the red baron lost his fuel pump. Last year the right one went out about the same time. Now I need two fuel pumps. Who's idea was it to put them in the tanks?

I also took a long ride today out to the broken ice. Wow was that cool looking. There was one slab that had made a ramp and molded firmly into the ice. It was the perfect jump for a vechicle. If you hit it with a plow or k memebr the other way I think it would stop you in your tracks.. Takin g house through that area looked all most impossible.If you like fishing rough ice its out therea and a big area

cookie129
full-1934-15245-399823_325220697497411_1

cookie129

That pic is looking nw about 2 miles out

cookie129

Just took another criuise after getting the girlsset up in old minnesota .I head wnw and stopped just in front of norskis nest on the north shore .From where I left to where I yurned around a guy could of ice skated the wholwe way there.

cookie129

Time to move old minnesota. Today I will be moving minnesota,doing some prefishing,hanging some trinkets in florida and just en joying the lake. I would say old minnesota caught around a dozen walleye,one broken line from a pike. The biggest walleye 24 incher, 10 perch and only four keepers walleyes. Its time to move to whiter pastures. Taking off in a few to wet a line and look for a spot for minnesota.

I ran into Dean from beacon harbor,he said most were still doing well out of there. He did mention the pressure ridge and was hoping it would heal. I offered my bridge if he needed it ,he wanted to buy it but I will keepeing it as you never know when your going to need a bridge.

Florida,montana and california are all ready to fish . Just have t o auger the holes. Jeff and his family will be here tomorrow for florida,then pat shows up for minnesota on tuesday as well as joe

Merry christmas to all you fellow fishermen and hope to see ya on the ice...

cookie129

A pic or two from minnesotafull-1934-15382-385942_326788577340623_1

Sergio M

Merry Christmas Cookie!!!

cookie129

Yesterday was another satisfieing day on the lake. Mike and Joany fished in minnesota so the first thing I did was stop and clean the house and get it ready to move. While I was cleaning I put a minnow on the rattle wheel with a flu flu jig. It was notdown there 5 minutes and I had a nice keeperfull-1934-15386-406859_326909623995185_1.

After cleaning minnesota I was off to do some fishing out of th etruck and look over the north shore. What a enjoyable day . Every spot I augered I measured with a tape and never saw less the 13 1/2 inches. I maybe followed the north shore 4 miles top. .I did manage to catch 2 more keepers and one jumbo perch.

While fishing Mike called anmd wanted to know if I had a nother house they could fish in ?scout for me. California had not been fished so I gave the direction and a discription of the house. To my surprise when I came in they had augered the holes in florida and were fishing there? ERe was my first reaction as the house was all ready for Jeff and his family today. They auger 4 holes each in the center leaving no room to have two holes side by side Err Again. They also had a fat keeper Err again. Plus now they have fished in the house and a pet peeve of mine is a nice fresh holes when the customers arrive.Oh well,I sent them over to california .Then when I went back out at sunset they were gone Err again. The house is right on the break and needed to be fished at the twilite time. Ow well,I 'am headed out now and fish for a bit before I can make the decision to move on to whiter pastures

cookie129

Jeff and Lisa stayed in florida with there two girls Llee and Libby. They fell in love with the top bunk and never wet a line as they had there own little fort up theer .Lisa and Jeff managed to get a few and have a fresh wallleye dinner. Jeff had a couple of friends on the lake and it sounded like they reallly stuggled each onlt getting one keeper.

Tommorow it gets real busy and the auger is going to get a good morning work out. All four house are full the next couple of days. Lets hope the fish cooperate.

Talked to Buddy Hillmen today. He said there doing real well out there. Jimmy's brother got a 40 inch pike when I pulled up with Jimmy's house. I pulled it from my shore over to beacon harbor. Things went real smooth so that was sweet. California is on the north shore and it will be fun to fish such a new area. I had hoped to fish it when I got there but the bolt to my auger vibrated out and the head fell off the truck. It damaged the gas cap. I could of jerry rigged it but I caught a couple of fish there two days ago so I know its a fishy area.

cookie129

Well with only four houses this year it was nice to see all four with some fish. Mike and Verna had 4 keepers in Florida. Richard and his crew had a couple in Montana and a small pike Pat, Ryan and Pat's son Shawn had two keepers. Pat has been a great customer over the years. He has even tried two other outfits that I know of but still comes back to old minnesota. I told Pat they needed to be jigging a bit more as they had set lines down as they played cribbage. Joe and his crew fished california for the day and were gone before I got there. They did have a keeper before I left so that was encuraging. While I was there just as it was getting dark I dropped a line and banged out 3 fish in less then 5 minutes. Keith had given me two fish so I was hoping for two more. After the first one all I needed was one when I had a keeper on my rod and reel. As I was trying to get the hook out the rattle wheel went off and just like that I was over my limit. The one on the rattle wheel went right back down the hole evn though it was a fat 16 I had no choice. I guess it was a nice choice to have.

Getting all the houses ready yesterday morning was a adventure. When I arrived at montana it looked like every piece of snow to the south west had drifted around the house and I had no choice but to move all the snow before I augerd out the holes.

When I got to florida it was just the opposite and there was not a stich of snow within 100 yeards of the house. Minnesota the darnn heater had gone out .We put a new controll valve on it at the tune of 350.00 so I was alittle bummed but the gas man will get it dialed in.

When Joe and his crew arrived I escourtted them to california and all my fishermen were here for the night. Today we have another crew coming for florida,and california

cookie129

Its been a few years since I have been able to get my house's up towards the north shore. After some scoutting I found a area I liked and hauled california up there. Yesterday old minnesota made the trip. Florida and montana will follow with my new house arizona to bring up the rear.

Last night when I made the rounds Pat and Ryan were way happy with the move.

Jeff and Penny were also having some good fishing and as I visited I even landed a couple of fish on Jeff's rod and reel.full-1934-15474-408795_329386837080797_1

Penny with two keepers.

Florida and montana were not doing all that well. I feel so bad when that happens but theres not much I can do.

Both houses had deccent fishing the night before but nothing to brag about.

cookie129

The whole fleet is now on the north shore. Montana and florida each managed 3 keepers and were moved yesterday. Blake, Barb and the kids were having a hoot in florida last night and had 14 laying on the ice. Montana 150 feet away was stuggling to catch a walleye.

I took the grandkids out to minnesota for less then two hours and we missed more thn we caught.

full-1934-15536-401361_330322540320560_1

Theres plenty of space out there to fish that for sure'

full-1934-15538-388361_329800397039441_1

The new house was catching fish yesterday but they had a pretty good buzz last night and it had slowed a bit.

Minnesota was a no show so we will be using her for the weekend.

Now that I'm all caught up I will be fishing on and off all weekend looking for good areas to move the fleet'

Arizona is a 5 man sleeper, It's on loan so I will not be adding alot of ammeneties at this time.

were pretty busy this week but the weeknd of the 6th is kinda bleek at this time

cookie129

what happens when you sleep through the rattle wheelfull-1934-15543-394016_322420474444100_1

huskie0302

Had a great time with cookie again. very good fishing on tues. Lots of slot fish, mostly 17 to 18 in. I will be contacting you again for another trip. Thanks joes group

cookie129

Never new how you did but when I showed up at dusk I had 3 keepers in 5 minutes. It was kinda funny Keith gave me two so all I needed was two when my second fish was on the rattle wheel went off and I was over my limit by accident. Oops

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are holding in the low 50's but expect them to continue to drop this week with temperatures in the high 30's and even snow in the forecast.

Both Minnesota and Canadian walleye fishing are on fire with only a jig and shiner or minnow needed. Look for Walleye in areas of current, pinch points between islands or rocky bays. Fish are currently shiner dependent in 17-25 feet.

Crappies are being found away from the rocks suspended over mud bottoms in 24-28 feet.

Perch can be found on deeper reefs topping out at 28 feet. 

Muskie trolling is off to a great start and will only continue to get better as the water temperature reaches into the high 40's. 

We will be closing down for ice in October 22nd - we hope to see you before then for some late fall fantastic fishing!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Lake of the Woods water temps are steadily falling into the mid to low 50’s. This past week cold fronts and strong winds have fish schooling up and feeding heavily.

In Minnesota, look to rocky bays and adjacent reefs in 15-22ft. of water.  A jig and minnow is all that is needed to catch a limit in a short period of time. Bottle necks between islands in the NW Angle are also worth fishing in the evenings.

In Canada, the fishing has been excellent.  Crappie, walleye and perch are all schooling up and taking a jig and minnow.  With the water temperatures dropping, expect to see the muskie bite increase while trolling. 

We will be closing October 22nd for ice in! Contact us for availability for your fall fishing trip!

We hope to see you soon,
      Sunset Lodge

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the main basin... Very strong walleye fishing continues with the jig bite picking up.  Charters finding limits of eater walleyes with big fish mixed in.  Crankbaits, spinners / crawlers and jigs with frozen shiners in main basin successful. 15-31 feet of water producing good numbers of walleyes across south shore with very good numbers in front of gap. Shiners showing up at mouth of Rainy River as well as up the Rainy River. 
      On the Rainy River... With shiners entering the river, eater walleyes showing up as well.  Anglers reporting success both jigging and pulling crankbaits.  Walleye activity will be increasing as shiner run continues.  

Up at the NW Angle... Strong numbers of walleyes being caught on mud flats and around Garden Island. 15 - 25' is a good start.  Spinners, crankbaits and jigging all producing.  Some nice jumbo perch mixed with walleyes.  Muskie activity picking up as water is cooling.  Next full moon, Sep 24.  Crappie anglers are producing big black slabs.  

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye action remains strong with spinners in mud bottomed areas near reefs using both minnows and crawlers. Fish can also be found in shallower water (15ft. or less) around Garden Island. Crankbaits seem to be the most effective at enticing larger fish. 
      Canadian walleye fishing has been fabulous this past week. The jig and minnow bite is on! Multiple boats ran out of bait and had just as much success switching to plastics. Bottom bouncing with crawlers remains effective in soft bottom areas as well.  Crappies continue to school up on deep water points. Hot windows of muskie bites have become shorter but still with good success.  Plenty of fish in the 4ft plus range and even a couple over 50!
      Water temps remain stable between 64-67 degrees. 
      See you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      9.4.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye fishing remains best with deep trolling minnow baits in 22-27 feet of water.  These same areas will provide action with a spinner and a minnow, however crawlers are still producing fish.  In the coming weeks, jig and minnow fishing will be the go to with fish stacking themselves on points and current areas. 

Canadian walleye action remains strong on bottom bouncer and spinner rigs with either a crawler or minnow.  Walleye are starting to school tighter making jig and minnow fishing very effective. Fall fishing is starting to heat up and we are seeing crappies schooled up on deep points.

Surface water temps are currently in the low 70’s throughout the day. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye fishing has been great using bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Anglers are being selective to fill limits with 16-18” fish as well as a few over 28 released. Most success has been in the mud, off of structure in 21-23 feet and 26-30 feet. The largest fish seem to come from South of Garden Island on crank-baits.

Canadian walleye are also most effectively targeted with bottom bouncers and spinners. Depth has not been as important as being at the bottom of a break line in the flat. Gold with chartreuse has been best as of late.  Musky activity has slowed from the prior weeks but expect it to ramp up with the full moon approaching. Perch have been schooled up on and around reefs topping out around 30 feet.

Water temps remain consistently in the low to mid 70’s. 

Remember - fall is the time for trophy fish up at the NW Angle!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, spinners and crawler harnesses are still the preferred method of walleye fishing, with the hot colors being pink/gold, orange/gold and orange/chartreuse. Walleye are being caught off of structure scattered in the mud between 20 and 30 feet. Down riggers and deep running crank baits have also been productive.

Canadian walleye are being caught in channels off of islands and along reefs in 18 to 25 feet of water. Both bottom bouncers with a crawler harness and a jig with minnow or shiner have both been successful in Canadian waters.

Musky fishing success has increased in the past week. Fish are being caught on crank baits and blade baits. With water temps in the low 70’s muskies are favoring rocks near weeds. 

Our very own, Travis Palmquist, released a 54.5" musky yesterday!

Fall is a great time for trophy fishing!

We hope to see you soon,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye are still scattered through out the main lake basin. Night crawlers on a spinner remains most effective.  Make drifts/passes parallel but off of structure including islands and reef break lines in 24-30 feet.  Hot colors have been gold/pink, gold/orange or hammered gold.  Deep running crank baits are another good option, often producing bigger fish and large northern pike. 

On the Canadian side of the lake, fish can be schooled on humps and reefs.  Once located, fish these areas with a jig and minnow or shiner.  Pulling spinners in 25-30 feet of water is most productive in covering ground to locate feeding and roaming walleye.  Muskie action continues to improve through out the week.  Multiple big fish were caught on Sunday with many others boated as well as, a lot of lookers.  As activity levels rise, blade baits have been triggering positive reactions. Water temperatures remain consistent in the low 70's. 

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Water temps are consitently in the mid to high 70’s.
      Walleye in Minnesota can be caught on reefs with a jig and minnow. More productive methods currently are bottom bouncers and crank-baits in 24-28 feet of water.  Covering a lot of ground is key when the fish arent schooled together.  We have had many 40”+ Pike caught while trolling, reports of large Muskie also.
      Candian walleye are spread out as well, making bottom bouncing and deep cranks the ticket to success. Fish mud bottomed areas deeper than 25ft for best results. Many nice jumbo perch limits have been coming in recently. They are biting on a jig and fathead and are concentrated at 28-30ft.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are starting in the low 70’s in the morning, reaching mid to upper 70’s in the evening.

Minnesota walleye action can be hot running deep diving crank-baits straight, down rigging or lead core. Soft bottom areas can also be worked with spinners and a night crawler.  Fish have been favoring gold on bright days and orange, chartreus or pink in low light.  Many larger northern pike this last week in the boat via crank-baits just outside of rock reefs and points.

Canadian walleye fishing has been more productive away from reefs and points in soft bottomed areas. The best method is to pull a spinner to find concentrations along the bottom and switch to jigging to fill out limits.

Musky attitude in Canada varies day to day. Plenty of fish are still being caught in shallow weeds including a couple of 50+ giants this past week.  Fish are also being caught in more traditional mid-summer spots such as rock reefs and points.  The most productive baits this week were crane baits or other flat baits, buck tails and top waters. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• eyeguy 54
      gotta love the sound of gills biting  
    • leech~~
      Now that I have a Big buddy heater instead of my old sun heater the only thing I get to listen to out in the middle of a quiet lake all day is the soft warm hum of my trusty FL-18! 😅
    • AlwaysFishing23
      I think if we’re to buy one right now I’d go with either the LX7/LX6 or a helix ice unit. I’ve used an LX7 before and definitely it’s a beast the LX6 is pretty much the same just a bit smaller screen and price tag. 
    • eyeguy 54
      would be fun to have a newer one but I probably would spend the money on more jigs or better rods. 
    • AlwaysFishing23
      I’m still using my fl18, it does the job but I’d like something more advanced and newer. 
    • eyeguy 54
      Not sure what is best. Still using my FL18. Very happy still.  
    • Rick
      Which fishfinder is the best for ice fishing in 2018?   Why overall?   What improvements has your favorite made in the past year or two?
    • monstermoose78
    • Rick
      Analysis shows groundwater use is sustainable, but does affect lake  A scientific analysis recently completed by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources shows that groundwater use in the White Bear Lake area meets the state sustainability standard. The analysis also shows that groundwater use in the area has contributed to lower water levels in White Bear Lake and that multi-year bans on residential irrigation will have a minimal effect on lake levels. A high-level summary is available at mndnr.gov/gwmp/wbl. The DNR also published the findings of the analysis in today’s edition of the White Bear Press. “We’re committed to working with local communities to make sure that the waters in and around White Bear Lake continue to provide their many benefits to the people who live and do business there, now and into the future,” said Barb Naramore, DNR assistant commissioner. “This analysis provides a valuable tool for those efforts.” The DNR conducted this analysis in response to an August 2017 Ramsey County District Court ruling, which directed the DNR to determine whether existing water appropriation permits within 5 miles of White Bear Lake meet the state’s sustainability standard, both individually and cumulatively. That ruling also required the DNR to impose a variety of conditions on existing water permits in the area, including a requirement that communities ban residential irrigation when White Bear Lake is below 923.5 feet in elevation. As part of ongoing efforts to manage water resources in the north and east metro area, the DNR has worked with a consultant to develop a state-of-the-science groundwater flow model. This new tool allows modelers to assess the impacts of various pumping scenarios on lake and aquifer levels over time and distinguish among the relative impacts of groundwater use in different areas. Previous models could not make these kinds of assessments. Using this new model, the DNR evaluated whether permitted pumping within a 5-mile radius of White Bear Lake is sustainable as defined in state law. The analysis confirmed that the state standard would be met even if all currently permitted groundwater users were to pump the maximum amount allowed for multiple years in a row. The state sustainability standard requires: Groundwater use does not jeopardize future groundwater supplies. Groundwater use does not harm the White Bear Lake ecosystem. Groundwater use does not degrade the water quality of White Bear Lake. Groundwater use does not lower water levels beyond the reach of public water supplies or private domestic wells. The DNR used the groundwater model to look at impacts based on four different scenarios: no groundwater use, existing groundwater use, existing groundwater use with a temporary residential irrigation ban, and maximum groundwater use with all permitted users pumping as much as allowed for multiple years in a row. Water levels in White Bear Lake fluctuate naturally. Such fluctuations benefit lake health by promoting the growth of vegetation that provides aquatic habitat and stabilizes shorelines. The model shows that pumping groundwater increases these fluctuations, particularly on the lower end of the lake’s water level range, making the lows lower. While current groundwater use does not violate the sustainability standard, lower water levels, particularly those below 922.0 feet, do disrupt or diminish some recreational uses of the lake. In order to support these recreational uses, the DNR established a protective elevation of 922.0 feet in 2016. With the new model, the DNR is now able to work with the permit holders having the greatest influence on White Bear Lake, to identify potential changes to water use that can help support recreational uses of the lake. Over the next few months, the DNR will meet with area cities, businesses and residents to discuss the analysis and its implications. The agency is working with these local interests to implement a groundwater management plan that ensures continued sustainability. A copy of the technical analysis and other information is available at mndnr.gov/gwmp/wbl. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • eyeguy 54
      @monstermoose78   almost time to plan a get-together.