• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Cookie

cookie129

Good afternoon,

Do you guys have any tips such as color or depth for finding fish on Red? Shiners and Jigs? Just trying to determine what works best. i went last June and didnt catch a darn thing lol.

I am going up this weekend to try my luck. I appreciate the advice in advance.

Thank you all.

Gabe 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Nothing beats a shad rap or crankbaits for finding fish on Red or other lakes.  Allows you to cover water until you find pods of fish.  Then you can switch over to slower presentations, (if you want to).  Many trips the crank bite is so productive we don't switch.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, Borch said:

Nothing beats a shad rap or crankbaits for finding fish on Red or other lakes.  Allows you to cover water until you find pods of fish.  Then you can switch over to slower presentations, (if you want to).  Many trips the crank bite is so productive we don't switch.

I appreciate that information, sir. Absolutely a good strategy. 

im hearing that pink and gold are good go-to colors?

in bog stained water gold is always a good color but thing is on Red I have had many colors be the color of choice out there.  Mix it up and figure out what's working but at this time of the year up there if you find fish color won't matter much!  If I were going out on Red I would start shallow and work out to the first break.  When I say shallow on Red I mean I would start along the shore line pitching minnow and jigs with or with out slip bobbers and work up the shoreline until I made contact with fish.  Those fish like to hide out in the reeds...trolling cranks of course is always the way to cover the most water and I am sure can be relaxing and effective up there.  

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, ozzie said:

in bog stained water gold is always a good color but thing is on Red I have had many colors be the color of choice out there.  Mix it up and figure out what's working but at this time of the year up there if you find fish color won't matter much!  If I were going out on Red I would start shallow and work out to the first break.  When I say shallow on Red I mean I would start along the shore line pitching minnow and jigs with or with out slip bobbers and work up the shoreline until I made contact with fish.  Those fish like to hide out in the reeds...trolling cranks of course is always the way to cover the most water and I am sure can be relaxing and effective up there.  

Thank you very much. I appreciate that advice. I had a really tough time last year up there and i'd hate to make the 5.5 hour drive to come back empty handed again. Thank you, I will try a couple different presentations and try to see where the fish are holding. 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
9 hours ago, ozzie said:

Those fish like to hide out in the reeds...trolling cranks of course is always the way to cover the most water and I am sure can be relaxing and effective up there.  

A lot of times it's not relaxing at all.   Dang walleye keep hittng those cranks.  ?. Jigging and pitching weeds are a great technique too.  Plus it's not unusual to stick a few slabs in the process.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

hey Postman still here lurking. I'll be brutally honest. I don't report as much in the summer as the lake gets pounded by day trippers and it drives me crazy. We have two cabins here that sit empty  during the week. Then after mid june it dead. Our cabins are pretty much wide open the rest of the summer other  then a family get together coming up over the forth. I realize there many resorts with in 100 miles and on the nice days they come up for the day.. I have two summer jobs one at the golf course and the other here in town mowing the ball fields and park. plus cleaning the outhouses. Not much to report there other then my golf game seems to never get better. Cleaning the outhouses drive me crazy when they pile there garbage in the little trash cans in them. I guess its better then littering but there not in there to pile in all your garbage from being in the boat all day then leave town.

Now for a fishing report I had Jim, Jim  Gavin and Hunter here for a week fishing with Tylor and they did well. Best fishing they have ever had. They caught  a little bit of every thing and ate fish. I have not had much time to fish but plan on getting out next weekend as we have company coming up. The blue berry bushes look real good so I hoping for a bumper crop of them to pick.. I did not spend enough time looking for morel mushrooms , Now I have to wait another year. If you have never eaten them the taste with beef is unreal as they were made for each other.

Good to hear you're still out there Cookie! I know what you mean about the golf game! Have never eaten morel mushrooms but would like to try them. Sounds like fishing was good this spring . Any of the elusive crappies caught this spring? Was up this winter best fishing we've ever had! No crappies but nice 17 inch walleyes. Will be back for sure this winter and will try to stay in one of your houses. Take care and don't eat too many blueberries!

I don't think you could ever eat to many blueberrys, We did have one decent evening crappie fishing, but I never mentioned it as we had a discussion this winter about 20 boats all taking limits last year. I said I never saw 20 boats fishing there but I may not of been out there if that was true. I have seen up to 6 boats on that spot though.

The guys in the green cabin last week ate fish two nites but struggled to catch limits. This was there first time here. Even though I told them if I was fishing what I would do they did not try that and just drifted..

I have a few friends coming up this weekend so we will see how we do

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the report cookie. Been wondering how is fall fishing on Red? You're probably right on the blueberries!

• 2 weeks later...
  • It's not always about the fishing here in what most call gods country. Wayne and I were on the lake sunday morning and ran into Bill from grand raids so he ask why I have not been posting reports.  Summer here in waskish is soo much different then our busy winters.  As summer heats up the fishing can slow up that's for sure. The big Pike can be fun to target. I do have my favorite summer spots, with early morning being better.  Working at the golf course in Baudette Oak harbor golf course and taking care of the ball fields and park here in town keeps me pretty busy Monday through Friday so fishing is more of a weekend deal for me .
     I never did well looking for morel mushrooms this spring. The wild strawberry's on the other hand are ripe for the picking. There tough to pick compared to blueberry's. Monday when I got home I was on a mission to go find enough for 2 strawberry sundays. It took about a hour and more then a few skitters but the hammer and I had fresh wild strawberry sundays after dinner.
     The blueberry's look small this year and were still green. I have a spot up towards baudett that I need to check out hoping The mother load is there.
     We have a pretty good sized bear running around. I saw him or her yesterday. She ran across the dirt road then made a u turn and ran back across the road  again. Beautiful looking fur looked to me like a 200 pounder?
     Justin my tree trimmer and his  friends were up  last weekend. They managed 11 keepers Thursday late afternoon evening. The wind switched up Friday and Saturday and the  fishing slowed down. I think they may of got another 10  over the weekend dodging the thunderstorms.
     Our good friend Wayne came up to help me replace a water pump/impellor on my  kicker motor. I had never done that before but with Wayne's help and a extra trip to Bemidji we got her done.
     I have 4 older gentleman coming up today so will see how they do tonight.  Wayne and I did wet a line sunday morning . She was quite breezy out there.  We drifted my go to spot with hardly a bite? Oh well. Mother nature always seems to have a hand in the oven . If they bit all the time there would be nothing left.
     We have some family coming up over the 4rth of july so should be getting out a few extra times this next 10 days

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

well again its been some time since I have posted any fishing reports. There was a window when the big pike turned on. Last week I stopped at the beach where the dnr were doing some seining samples and I was amazed at all the small fish they caught. It was very cool to see. They have 5 spots they do. There were small 1 inch Quillbacks, sheephead, crappies  perch. 3 inch walleyes, suckers, shiners, emerald river and spot tale. they bust of had 300 little fish . To think that was just a fraction of the lake just amazes me. I'm going to try and find a crankbait that looks like a sheephead.
 My brother Warren is here for a week ,it sure is nice having such a nice brother as he always brings me gifts, He brought a small speaker that will pick up phone through blue tooth  way cool. We did get out and fish sunday and managed to catch 10 fish with only 3 being keepers. Not quite sure where the big ones are hiding but we will be getting out a couple more times.
the lake is still way down . We had a little run of 4 inches of rain and since then  barely a sprinkle.  Still loving my job at the golf course, free golf is very good .
 Hunting season is just around the corner and I expect Bob and Rick to make plans to come up in October.
Had a couple more emails for ice fishing, some people sure know how to plan.
I just missed my goal of canning 12 jars of blueberrys. I'm all ready down to 4 jars

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Seeing many grouse?

I have not been tromping though the woods but did flush a couple picking blueberrys

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

And just like that there was ice as far as you could see? From what I have been herring walking traffic this weekend as long as this mild warm up and winds do not change everything. 

tyler did go out yesterday and got 1 plus a miss. I personally will not be on the lake until blue thunder can drive out there. All though we added a small Kia to the fleet .

Yesterday the phone was crazy with fishermen calling about how much ice. I'm hereing 3 to 5 closer in.  

We have been busy final prepping the house's and trucks. plus bow hunting Looks like I may be adding a grand ice castle to the fleet  plus I added California fish house last year at the end of the season.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Good luck this winter cookie and be safe!

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Love The reports cookie always great info and fun reads. 

20 hours ago, cookie129 said:

I talked to Buddy Hillmen yesterday around 10 am . As of yesterday his plans were to allow walk outs starting today out of there resort. While I was prepping houses down at the lake yesterday there were about 7 fishermen wondering around out there . My son Jonny boy says he may hook up with a guy staying at westwind that he knows and wet a line today, With any luck we could be have fresh walleye with our steak tonight.

I'm still doing a little bow hunting. We moved my stand Monday so I have set out there 2 evenings.

Yesterday it started snowing like crazy, The snow tapered off around 2pm. We got about 1 inch.  I headed to my stand around 3 and darn if a deer had not walked right under my stand some time after the snow stopped. Plus another came racing through heading south while another was heading east. All fresh tracks after the snow stopped. Crazy deer. I might give it another shot tonight but will see.

From 2 to 5 to 7?  What started as 2 fishermen Tylor and John last week. Wednesday Bill and Hays spent the night and walked out with not much luck. All though Bill is a photographer  and said he never wet a line as he snapped pic after pic of the sunset. I caught the tail end of it and should of snapped a picture myself, as it was spectacular to say the least.  Not even sure there's a name for the color,  maybe blood red? Thursday morning hays was not feeling very well so Bill went out on his own. Down at the lake working I saw 5 fishermen counting Bill.

Yesterday it was up tp 7. I have had a dozen calls, how thick is the ice,  how's the fishing?

Buddy Hillmen of Hillmens resort says around 5 inches, They are  allowing  walking traffic out to a mile where his road stakes stop.  I have heard of 5 fish caught and 1 lost at the hole so that's the fishing report. 

Some one said it would be a zoo up here this weekend since the south end had that strong wind . I would have to disagree  as I have no one spending the night here until after thanksgiving?

All the house are prepped down at the lake and ready to go other then a few little things. If anyone stays down there they will have to be cleaned again but that's fine with me.

Jonny boy did not get out as he was a little under the weather.  I did get a shot at a grouse with my recurve going out to my stand Thursday night. It was a shot through the brush and my arrow just missed. I 'll always give up being quiet when I have a chance at a grouse, either when I'm going, sitting or leaving my hunting area.  Years ago I took a grouse in the air with my recurve and flu flu arrow. I would love a repeat of that. Plus the hammer loves the way I make grouse as do I.

I was going to pull my deer stand but now have second thoughts . Some venison in the freezer would be nice. I like cutting up steak in super thin pieces then quick frying for a minute steak sandwich. Plus I'm still trying to harvest a deer with my recurve

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 2

The first weekend of fishable ice has come and gone. I read somewhere that waskish would be a zoo this weekend.? Saturday afternoon I counted maybe 30 portables out of Hillmens.

The ice breaking up down on the south end may of calmed things down for sure. The dnr was out there racing around on a sled checking fishermen saturday. Not sure how he got on the lake but I'm thinking Hillmens was probably not thrilled to see that . I say it again common sense should be used at all time on upper red lake. Watch the weather. When its a white out on the lake it can be pretty spooky. When the winds blow  the lake can have many variable's.  When the weather warms drastically the ice can expand and play havoc on things.  A small crack can explode into a  season long pressure ridge.

We did not have any guest this past weekend but I did talk to a few fishermen. The reports were mixed. . One guy I gave instructions to  said it was slow , they caught 20 and kept 16?  That was all day so 4 guys caught 5 fish apiece or 1 every 2 hours. So I guess that would be slow. I also heard of a few that got skunked.

I still have no plans on going on the lake un tell I can drive out with blue thunder. The day I drive out there means I will be on the lake every day tell mid march so I'm never in a hurry. Plus my mentor cousin Pete taught me long ago 17 years to be exact slow and patient.

I did squeeze in church on sunday. I always feel a  bad when I keep skipping, then I end up prolonging going.

A few nicer deer were taken the last few days . I had a huge grouse in my sites last night and did not take the shot. I think it was the biggest, fattest, grouse I ever saw. No deer from my stand but more tracks so its very encouraging. My plans were to pull my stand but I'm going to give it a few more shots as the peace and tranquility of sitting there is very relaxing, Plus if I see a deer you get that adrenaline rush .

Today the plans are to button up the fish houses and break them loose, I'm thinking they may be going on the ice by the weekend of the 7th. I have added on a ice castle this year but have not named it as yet, They are bringing it up the end of the month. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw on face book beacon harbor is allowing wheelers and sleds. I never got to talk to Buddy hillmen  yesterday but I imagine its getting closer for him to also allow wheelers and sleds.

Jonny boy and I got all the house's ready to move. once we hit that  consistent 14 inches of ice on our end. 

The temps dropped to -2 last night,  You would think that should of made a little more ice.Then it started to warm up and we got a sprinkle of new snow. I would say less then 1/2 a inch.

I'm hoping to get out in the woods again tonight. At least for the last hour. I'll plan on still hunting to my stand with a flu- flu arrow knocked in case I get another chance at that fat grouse I saw. This time I'm not going to hesitate and take the shot asap.

I counted  just a few pop ups out there yesterday.  I did see two wheelers come from the south but have no clue where they got access to the lake, I imagine it may of been someone with a cabin  on the shore line. 

We should see quite a few more fishermen after thanksgiving, I expect it will be a little bit busier that last weekend. I do have a few friends coming up Friday, so I will have a first hand report on how they do.

Knock on wood both blue thunder and the red baron are in good shape as of now.  The little grey kia needs a little work but it does have good heat so that's a plus. I see it s 9  so better get to work

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, wel,l well!  We were gone for the thanksgiving but did have a few fishermen stay here with mixed results. 

Stacy and Craig were walking on to the lake they did not do that well. Hint, hint.

Joe and his crew had a sled and wheeler. They did real good at two different resorts.

I have not talked to Mel ,Dan and crew yet,

The social media/  facebook has exploded with great reports, I always find it funny you never see the bad reports.  Also not sure how the dad and son that stayed in old Minnesota did . I be leave they said they did all right when I talked to them on the phone. From what I have saw.  Beacon, Hillmens, Westwind as well as all the resorts down south had great fishing.

As of right now the houses will be on shore next weekend, I expect side by sides will be allowed out by then, if the cold snap hits us. Were wide open if some one needs a place to stay next weekend. I'm headed down to get them all wiped down and vacuumed  in a bit.

So here is something I offered years ago. What if you arrived  for  a 2 night stay in one of our sleepers.  Upon your arrival  there was a beef roast with all the fixings cooking in the oven when you arrived. I could make that happen if requested . Of course there would be a extra charge. So if anyone is interested give me a heads up and will go from there.

Since I'm not heading on to the lake un tell I can drive blue thunder  I thought it  would be fun to share a few more of my deer hunting stories. Most are misses with the bow and arrow but still fun to tell. Plus who knows maybe my mistakes will help you score.

The greek  and I were camping /hunting up north. It was mid Oct. The weather was a balmy 70 degrees, We had hit our stands early that morning with no luck . After a hardy lunch cooked on a open camp fire, we kicked back to come up with our evening game plan.  

Our plans were set so we both decided to take a little nap before going back to our spots for the evening. The next thing you know the greek is waking me up. Quick its all ready after 4 and we have a 1/2 mile walk to out stands. I jump up ,gather my gear. I think man I need to have something to drink so I grab a can of pepsi. I never bring a can of pop to my stand . 

I'm all set up in my stand, when I decide to quietly open the can of soda, I sitting in a portable with no where to set the pop down so I just sit there and slowly drink it. Now I'm sitting there in a tree with a emtpy can. I think I sure do not want to drop it under my stand so I decide to put it in my chest pocket.

About 15 minutes go by.  A nice doe appears to my left, she is going to be in perfect range. I stand up . Get positioned , as she step from behind the brush, right in my shooting lane I draw back. The pop can crinkles in the dead silence of the woods, This was not a sound the deer liked as she was gone before I ever had a chance to fling a arrow . Another mistake was made, hind site should of never brought a can of pop, should of just dropped it under the tree stand. oh well This was 30 years ago ,and I've never brought another can of pop to my stand to this day.

• Thumbs Up 2