• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye Tips for the river

Hi all, My inlaws live only 2 miles form the Minnesota River Near Montevideo, and I would like to start fishing it for walleyes. Ive fished it only a couple times open water with no success on walleyes. Anyone have any tips or pointers on what to use for bait, what depth and structure to look for? This would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, AC

Anywhere there is water coming into the river should be a good start for you. This brings in the bait fish which bring in the big fish smile

If you know the structure of the area you are fishing you should be able to pinpoint where they might be.

For starting out I would just find creek inlets or drainage systems that are dumping into the river.

You can use live bait or artificial. Ive seen people use fatheads, creek chubs, leeches, crawlers, and gulp. Its all what works best for you. I normally just Jig for them but I've seen people using lindy rigs as well

Around the time the slugs start flying the bite normally lights up. As it gets later into the fall, deep current seems near slack water can be great. Drift with the current using your trolling motor to control your speed.

The first few weeks after opener are normally good on the river to. You can catch them jigging or fishing larger live baits like chubs and small bullheads in creek mouths on a bottom rig (Also known as Catfishing....)

if you do happen to hook a walleye, just leave it on your hook and dont bring it in the boat, u just might get a flat

cool

• 4 months later...

Take some time to locate shallow sand bars, rubble, rock that is near deeper water. Walleyes will feed shallow during low light conditions and then spend more non active time in deeper pools. If there is water coming in (a stream or crick) all the better. For open water anchor up stream or out to the side and fan cast a heavy fireball jig (be prepared to loose them) with a fat head. For Ice set up on the sand or rock and intercept the walleyes as they move from deeper up into feeding areas. You can also look for current breaks. These will help congregate baitfish. River fish have to eat more as they have a higher demand for energy. The current forcese a higher level of activity compared to lake fish therefore if you find the food and the dinner table you'll eventually find the fish. Good luck.

well my experience differs. set up on the down stream side of a deep hole. swedish pimples, red glow jigs and gold jigs work well. night bite isnt as good as day/dusk bite. i fish the granite area on ice so im close to monte. message me if you want a spot that produces most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...