• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nail Knot?

Paul_Kramer

This fall I'm going to be tossing some big flies with a 10wt rod for largies and pike, and maybe muskies. Anyways, I'm obviously going to be using a fairly heavy leader, at least the leader butt will be. Would it still be a good idea to use a nail knot to attach the leader, even if it's practically as thick as the fly line itself? Or would there be a better knot to use? Thanks for any help.

Not sure how heavy a line your going to be useing... but I use 20 pound all the time for my first piece off the fly line then taper it down to whats needed. This is for king and coho salmon running the rivers. A nail knot it what I use.

I like the "Tie-Fast Knot Tying Tool". They can be found at most fly shops...

Hey Paul-whip a loop in the end of your fly line.Then tie a loop in a piece of .023 stiff mono and make a loop-to-loop connection. Then build a leader on down from the .023 but keep the overall leader fairly short. Easy. Strong.