• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Zippel Bay Fishing Reports

Thanks for the tips,

So it sounds like if the group were to go up the weekend of new years next year then take advantage of the Shallow/Deep otherwise stay in the deep sleeper and use portables to move around. Does the movement of the walleye bring them shallow again in late march?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boar

• mnhunter 3815

• Walleye Inn

• dougger222

walleye inn you are on lindy as far west and north as you can go. met your kid and his buddys last weekend, we are the tyvek 10x20

Thanks for the tips,

So it sounds like if the group were to go up the weekend of new years next year then take advantage of the Shallow/Deep otherwise stay in the deep sleeper and use portables to move around. Does the movement of the walleye bring them shallow again in late march?

Typically yes they move back shallow in the late ice.

Boar, if you are still around. u might want to stay in shallow (18ft). Got word from my Dad, Terry, who's up there right now. fishing slow out deep for him anyways and the guy who was fishing out of the resort last night in 18ft caught some nice ones from 5-6pm.

walleye inn you are on lindy as far west and north as you can go. met your kid and his buddys last weekend, we are the tyvek 10x20

That's funny we are neighbors down here and neighbors on LOW with the only two house wrapped houses!!! We have the 11x17 Geen AmoWrap house on Bobber. It was on Sauger earlier this Winter not that far down from yours. Remember seeing your house up there.

BTW, some years the shallow 12-19ft can produce quality fish all Winter. When we were up the second week of Jan this year we did really well in 18-18.5ft. One morning between 8-11am we managed 18 eyes of which 14 of them were 14-20 inches. I recall a few years ago the best depth was 17.5ft mid Winter. We bring portables and go shallow most mornings and evenings and spend the middle of the day relaxing in the big house. Although we've been up in the first and second week of April on atv's and done well in the 30-32ft range all day.

this trip wasnt bad but we did manage to get our limit of eyes and few saugers for the 3 of us.we caught about 35 fish.my brother then used my house thurs and friday and did great but this mornin was slow for him.so im moving even farther west.heading back up there tuesday.

I'll be up there Tue-Thur in the Green AmoWrap house and X2 portable/Excursion.

Just got home from Zipple and the fishing was SLOW. We didn't fish real hard but we were in one of their rental houses and only caught a handfull of fish for four guys.

Just returned, fishing was slow by LOW standards we caught 32 and kept 9 keepers caught. 3 in shallow 16ft just west of boar sorry we didn't meet up we went back out to end of lindy to the west and had enough to keep us going. talked to the guide his best house had 7 keepers on sat. sounds like they are moving deeper this week or maybe just to fresh ice due to the results this weekend and yes the berms are hard as a rock.I'm thinking sleds and try knight or bidges next time Adrians road is NE of our house now they are out along way last year we were way out too and could see there road lots of sleds coming in from way out after dark?? Hi wildgloweye yes we are right next to you still good luck to all Terry

Hey Joey, wish fishing woulda been as hot as the chee-too's they were good sat afternoon!!thank you

Year terry, Ha found ya today, but you were already gone. Had a tough time sat mourning, forgot to pull up my tubes to the ice that go thru my camper floor, they were frozen in from the last time I was up, so when I auger I bring up all the ice an slush an my floor was jus piled with ice an slush. Got fishin an had two nice eyes an one miss on a keeper, so about 930 I started to move an my skirting was froze in but good, so I pulled away from it an went back to chip it out last evening took over an hour. But I whent to look for you an got confused on the road system, finnaly got out to lindy about noon an of course I went east, thought about going west but just wanted to set up an fish, kept two more an caught abunch of dinks. This morning was the same, quit about 11 an relocated the camper right across the road from ya, so as long as you dont move again, Ha tag your it. Tough weekend, so we"ll hook up eventually. Later boar

Sooo much fun! It's always a flip of the coin this time of year.

Any residuals from the fall? Hope your doing okay.

ya,ive seen the amo wrap. may township, ok im off norell ave. Last year 18' was hot all winter. Lookin forward to the pike bite in March.

I'll be fishing out of Zipple Resort the end of February for eyes. Don't know what depth they will have us at, but does it pay to drop a smelt or sucker down one of the holes for Pike--or is it a waste of a hole?

thanks

Wahoo

Hey wahoo, three weeks ago, I had my house in 18 feet fishing eye's an pulled up a 40 1/4 pike, If your shallow Id put a live 12 inch suker about three feet of the bootom if your out deep I put one about a foot under the ice,alot of dinks have been caught out deep in rental house an the ones that impload float back to under the ice an pike have learned this an cruse under the ice for a easy meal, so it dont hurt to give up a hole for pike, specially out of zipple. Boar

Fished Zipple Bay Monday...........only 2 small fish. Bought a LOW/Woods Lakemaster Chip, tried to get on Zipple Reef, wouldn't ya know, the Igloo bar looks to be right on top of it!

Moved over to Pine Island yesterday and caught between 35 and 40 walleyes/saugers, brought back our two person limit. Missed a few to boot! My buddy had a glow white demon looking deal with a red stripe down it and he kicked my butt!!

fished 21ft tuesday caught a few then moved the house 25 feet did ok.heading back up sunday till tuesday.it should be turning on soon in that 25ft range but i might take my other house andhead deep for a few hours.just to try it.i been avoiding the deep water but that might be the next move.

last week we caught a 39 1/2 incher.2 nice pike came out of the igloo 37 and 42 incher.that 42 incher was realy nice perfect markings on it.

Got back last night from Zippel. Got up there and fished in the sleeper from Tue 8am to Thur 2pm.

They didn't plow to the fish house so we had to go "off road" to get to the house. We got stuck a couple times but with a few minutes of shoveling got going again. Ended up going past the house and found an old road and broke over the berm there and took the "back way" to the house. Wed afternoon Nick got out with the articulating tractor and opened the road up for us. The berm is so tough the Powerstroke with V-plows couldn't break though.

The house is still on Bobber in about 25 fow. The first fish ended up being the biggest of the trip which was caught on all things a wax worm, 19.25in eye! It was on a small red dotted demon. My buddy caught a few more with the waxie but they only bit on that on Tue. Never marked so many fish on Tue on LOW. First tried with the killer last month a Chubby Darter but they just weren't having that. Switched jigs every half hour and would catch one or two but nothing seemed to really turn them on. The morning bite started at 8am and was steady until 11am then slow until a few hours before dark.

Wed things were different as I finaly found a jig they liked. Have had it in the tackle box for a few years and finaly used it. It's hard to explain but it's a small single hook gold jig with a small bar going up the center with the eye lit on it. Half the fish that looked at it hit it. Same as the day before they started at 8am and bit for a few hours than had another flurry for an hour or so before dark.

Thur same thing although they got up earlier and started at 7:50am. We put down carpet so had to pull the lines for a couple hours.

Two guys all in the private sleeper,

Tue-26

Wed-29

Thur-15 (half day)

We caught a lot of 14in eye's it was the most common sized fish we got. On Wed we got 12 of them. We ended up eating one meal and took back our limit of nice eyes and 12 in saugers. Also landed a 6lb pout, 2lb pike, and two jumbo's.

Talked to several other people at the bar and cleaning station and it was mixed reports. Some did well out deap while others only caught 3-5 fish. One guy said he did well deep Mon-Wed but others in his group did lousy.

It was fun and can't wait to go back again!!! Got the oven hooked up and with the carpet it's a lot nicer now.

dougger

Im coming up with a group thursday to sunday..where does Nick have the deep sleepers? we are bringing a portable as well to bounce around if we need to. Thanks for any info

Not sure how far out Nick has the sleepers but think they are out to about 32 feet of water. One of the newest roads is Lindy which is talked about in previous posts. The other day Lindy wasn't marked on the road board in the office.

You should try shallow morning 8-11 and evening 3-6. Shallow can range from 11ft to 19ft. The sleeper in deep water should produce in the times between and also morning and evening.

There were guys catching nice eyes in the 18ft depth which I think is off Trophy. On my original post it's the depth they bit really well last month.

Good luck!!!

BTW, my cousins group is in my house now will report when they get back...

My Cousin headed out this afternoon from the sleeper. He didn't do as well fishing as we did but he had much bigger problems. In his quest to source emerald shiners his starter fell off his van. The two bolts broke right off! He spent a couple hours under it in the parking lot and was able to strap it on. Running low on LP he couldn't get it started at the house. Long story short a two day trip turned into a three day trip and a not so happy boss man. Actualy his boss was more mad he didn't get invited than his van being broke down 300 miles away!!!

His group of four caught fish but it was a bit slower than earlier in the week. They had a meal and brought some back.

Well....

Its looking like we'll at least have good weather, maybe that will help! And I know we wont run out of beer, or Crown, so....we'll have fun anyway!

Thanks for the update!

just got back from zipple.fishing was slow but thats fishing.moving my house a little shallower next week.im guessing a week or 2 and its game on again march is just around the corner.

I sure hope so mnhunter I will be up there in March from the 8th-12th Keep the reports coming guys love to read them and thank for them too