• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Zippel Bay Fishing Reports

Just wanted to give a fishing report for LOW. A friend and I went up to finish up work on the sleeper and were very pleased with the fishing.

We tried several depths/roads and the best fishing came out of Trophy in 18.5-20ft. The morning and afternoon was best. One morning we caught 18 fish of which 14 were eyes ranging from 14-20 inches. Of course we let almost all of them go as we were already filled out on nice eyes.

We did ok on Bobber in around 24ft but one morning the fishing was very poor.

The house was put on Sauger in around 28ft and it managed some ok fish the best being a 27 inch eye which was caught the first day.

The resort only has fatheads so far this season which did good except the one morning on trophy with emerald shiners. Towards the last day in a half the fatheads outproduced the shiners by a long shot.

The best lure hands down though was the Chubby Darter. Landed the 27 incher and all but one of the 20 inchers.

The ice was very clear and was the water. The sunny days were best and the best day it started out -15. As a matter of fact the best fishing came on the coldest day.

Can't wait to go back!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boar

• mnhunter 3815

• Walleye Inn

• dougger222

Did awsome again, limited out both days an my son watched me for th e second time pull 21 plus lb pike up the hole that was an awsome, still swimming. Wish the dang phones could post picutres. Later boar

Down load your phone pictures to your computer.Your phone came with an instruction manual that tells you how to download pictures.c63

Hey boar,just wondering what depth you are at. I had a son up they didn''t do much, I am going friday thru sun trying to figure out where to move too. I am in 24 ft now thinking deeper and bring portable for shallow bite in morning and evening? thanks Terry

Hey Terry,

We were up thrus through sunday on the deep side of Hot Spot about 27 and limeted out every day with no fish smaller then 15. Only one in the slot at 22. Great time.

Ok guys I'll give up the magic depth, but you all owe me a hundred bucks. Anywho. My scenario is such, I am straight west of candy camel roll shop, if you havent had her carmel rolls you are missingout, 18 feet is my depth, now the if you are not fishing by 8 am you cant blame me, an I have caught fish as early a seven am. It will really die down by eleven but I manage to pick up a couple around noon, I have also picked up some keeper saugers in that depth also. wich is nice to see. Now I have seen it pick back as early as three pm. an as late as five pm. Good luck an please deposite the money boars account which can be acces at wwwwant$2fish.now thank you, boar

Hey vike 3 and boar, just as I expected I suggested to go into the magic depth or out deeper but as sons will be they did not listen thanks for the reports if ever by walleye Inn swing in and say hi thanks

Havent been up in a couple weeks, but my sleeper is still in 24fow. Probably going to pull it out to the 30' area. Over this last weekend how have the conditions changed? Are the roads still good? Did the snow accumulate much? Hoping I dont have to get plowed out.

Same situation we are in. Coming up Friday morning to move the house probably deeper and we are in 24ft currently. 24ft hadn't been the ticket for us either. If you see the Walleye Inn swing over and exchange lies. good luck and road conditions at Zippel are appreciated.

We got a fair amount of snow Sunday night, but the wind was a killer yesterday. I havenot been out on the lake, but I am sure the roads were blow shut. I image they are working hard to reopen or move them around today.

With the winds I'm sure the ice is moving around with the colder weather and the additional snow cover..

I am heading up tomorrow. Any tips as far as depth? Do I need my extension? What are the road conditions? Any help welcomed. I very much appreciate any info. Thanking all of you in advance.mike

start shallow 15 to 18 early morn. be fishing by 730-8, move deep after it slows down 11-12, out to 28- 32, for afternoon, back in shallow by 3-4 for evening bite in 15-18. unless others are having better luck lately, I havent been up for two weeks but when I was thats what was working for me. Boar

Thanks Boar. That is the plan I had my last trip. But that was during that bad cold snap. Just wondering what this plan might be. Appreciate it. mike

Coming to Zipple Bay on sun.and fishing mon.and Tue. I haven"t seen many reports coming from there.Just wondering whats going on?I was up there 2 weeks ago and did fair.Mainly first half hour and last half hour before dark in 17FOW.Fished deep mid day caught 0 marked very few in 2 days of fishing. I am hoping things have changed.Any help would be great.Have they moved their shacks out from the 24 FOW they where in?

you could go deep and catch fish all day or you can move in to 18 to 24 ft range and catch some nice eyes with a few nice saugers mixed in.fishing has been a little on the slow side on zipple bay.my house has been doing good cant complain about the size of eyes we been getting with a few nice saugers mixed in.its fast at times but every day is diff.

i would try 18 to 21ft in the mornin or evenin.we been doing pretty good there sometimes good all day.not sure if the shallows been hittin lately or not.but there are some nice eyes in that 18 to 21ft range.

Anything magical happening out there? heading up fri for the weekend. ate all my fish, need some please. Later boar

Boar,

I called up yesterday..im coming up in 2 weeks. Not sure who i talked to, but she said fishing has been good. Said there were 3 or 4 eyes over 30" taken over the weekend and lots of 14-17 saugers. Sounded like there were alot of slot walleyes too. Hoping it stays good till i get there.

Good Luck

I was up again last weekend and to be honest with you I thought fishing was absolutely terrible. Between 4 guys we only kept 8 fish for the 2 days. NOT my idea of typical LOTW walleye fishing. The bite has definitely slowed. We had our most action in the morning, and after 11 there was very few bites. Marked lots of them with the Marcum, but they would come off the bottom, look at it, and go back down. I tried throwing everything at them, and they just wouldnt bite. We were set up in 30ft. Will be back up in a couple weeks, hopefully things turn around!

Hey Boar I too will be up friday morning have a friend fishing thurs so will have a report thurs evening will post results, the Walleye Inn will be on the move pulled by a white Dodge stop and say hi and compare notes se ya on the pond. My son did pretty decent last weekend out in 34fow steady action 3guys a couple short of limit.

Couple of questions for you guys that are up at Zipple often.

I have used Zipples Road system before with my own wheel house but I have a group that would like to go up and they want to drive out next year. They also want to see the igloo bar and say out on the ice to get the early morning bite (and some will have a hard time moving from bed to hole). I'm wondering if it is worth getting the Shallow sleeper with Deep day houses or just taking out the brave few in portables. We have done our annual company trip on Mile Lacs and I keep telling the group after we bring home zilch that it is worth the drive. I'm also trying to get them to go out of Arneson's (my preference) but they really want to drive and have access to showers. Any one use the Deep/shallow vs. just the deep and if so what was your opinions?

Ya I agree wildgloweye, got trusted intel on the shallow bite an it's not what it was, still picking up a few, but not even close to january. typical feburary dulldrums. So walleyeInn I might be looking for ya cause I'm going deep, an I might be out on ice friday evening relocating, where do ya plan on going? I'm looking for 34, if ya find it save me a spot. got a number? He if ya have a plow on your truck I'm the first camper straight west of candy carmel shop on south side of the road, gota 12 pack for ya if plw me an entrance Ha Ha. I'll be bring the snow blower cause I dont have the 25 for zipple to do it. Hey mrmanners, this time of year go deep an stay deep. early an late season are the times to start shallow go deep then end shallow. Later boar

Hey boar,I should be going threw red Lake falls about 5 or so tommorrow morning white dodge heading north to my house which is in 34 ft maybe according to reports i will stay there If I see you on the way out will swing by. I have a friend fishing today in Zippels houses a deep and shallow haven't heard from him yet but am interested to hear what he says.last weekend was ok where my house is now so will try there I do have a set of chains for getting off the road they work excellently.see ya up there fri. TERRY

Hey terry, tanks for the info, I found out that there is high banks plowed up an with the rain last week made a hard crust an will be hard to get my house out of there so i'm trying to figure out what to do, My source says a snow blower wont cut it because of the crust, but I've ran a snow blower enought to to know if ya can get thru the crust,the rest is easy but dont know how much crust to get thru, Hmmm... what to do what to do. I'll be up fri. evening tho. are you way out on Boar lindy?

Well I called nick an put a crow bar in my wallet an for 25 skins he'll have me plowed for sat. morn. Gonna still hit the morning in shallow til about 9 or 10 then terry I hope theres room at the Inn cause I'm gonna trak ya down in 34 Later boar

Boar sounds good we are at the end of lindy i think my son used house last weekend and moved it. drive on out and see us will have a report on fishing we are getting in truck in about 11 minute so will be at zippel at 7 am see ya on the pond TERRY