• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Warroad Fishing Reports

WhiskeyPete

Don't get your undies in a bundle about pulling out of springsteel anytime soon..... was out there this afternoon and there this afternoon and there is a nasty crack from the tip of springsteel to warroad. On the west side of the crack ice was around 6" of good black ice.... I walked across the crack and there was 3-4" of ice on the east side. Not much activity out there..... few guys walking/atv's out up to the crack but nobidy fishing on across it. It's gonna be quite a while before big stuff goes out unless we get some cold temps.... Pray that we don't get any snow on it for a while or we're gonna have a tough year.

MNRiverRat

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UPnorthFISHING

• WhiskeyPete

• northerndave

• Boar

Don't get your undies in a bundle about pulling out of springsteel anytime soon..... was out there this afternoon and there this afternoon and there is a nasty crack from the tip of springsteel to warroad. On the west side of the crack ice was around 6" of good black ice.... I walked across the crack and there was 3-4" of ice on the east side. Not much activity out there..... few guys walking/atv's out up to the crack but nobidy fishing on across it. It's gonna be quite a while before big stuff goes out unless we get some cold temps.... Pray that we don't get any snow on it for a while or we're gonna have a tough year.

MNRiverRat

Thanks for the update, helps confirm some of what I was thinking when I looked at the Dec. 8 satellite shot, looks like there was a big opening on Buffalo too that same day, might have to hold off for a while before we venture out.

Mike

Don't worry about me. I have no plan on pulling anything out of Warroad/Springsteel until nearly everyone else has their shacks on the ice. I intend starting in a "secret spot" west of the place I limited out in 20 minutes 6 years ago on a Tuesday.

I just like keeping track of the ice progress, or lack of, as the sheet forms so I have an idea of where I may be in the future. Until then, I'll keep doing what I'm doing. That's looking out the back window at my sleeper in the back yard.

See ya on the ice......

I figured you would find or build a skid house from the way you were talking last year. I suppose I won't see ya hardly at all. With a skid house and tracks, you'll be way out away from everyone! Must be nice....ha!

just have to wait and see..the new track rig might have to wait, been trying to deal and isnt going to well.... lol ...the new house isnt black at least =0)....and it is a skid house with 12 holes!! cant wait to try it out

Anyone heading out of Warroad/Swift on ATV's or sleds?? Looking to head to 5 mile, but haven't heard any reports over that way.

Don't think that will be happening any time soon. Look at the thread "Springsteel Crack". Head to the east end of the lake until frigid weather arrives....

heard you can get on the ice AT swift ditch with atvs get out to 20 some feet....not getting much...this is just rummors i havent been there to see it for myself yet

i wouldnt even try to get to 5 mile yet...20-30 mph winds again today ...its not going to lock up when it blows like that every other day1!

I was thinking the same thing as I fought the steering wheel all the way to work this morning.

mad

It's 20 degrees on the wrong side of the zero as well!

We really need a couple of weeks of deep chill before the snow starts dumping on us.

I sure wish I could afford a people hauler rig, all I seem to find are these 2 passenger jobies.

Going to have to do something about that.

Spark up the torch!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any good news for me? I called Springsteel and she said that the water opened up again two days ago and the wind has been blowing again. I am suppose to be coming up with a few buddies in a couple of weeks. Any new would be cool...thanks

JP

Good news..... Well.......

There is good ice on the East side of the lake. I don't like it either but I am a fisherman.

Pray for the cold.

• 2 weeks later...

Now we should see some progress with the cold snap over the next few days. I've heard that Bob made it to Whiskey, but haven't called him yet to see if that's true. Has anyone been out to mark "the crack" before we all forget exactly where it was?

• 2 weeks later...

well moved the house out on saturday and took the fam. fishing for the day. Was planning on staying the night BUT at bout 6:30pm the crack by springsteel opened up again and it shook the house pretty good!! that was the end of fishing... the wife and kids said HOME NOW lol oh well we had a good day of fishing...

dansrig1.jpg

I see you found your picture.

grin

My daughter called you "The Russian"

Must have been the black and red combo thundering across the ice, it is quite an intimidating site actually.

grin

Very nice rig and house set up you've got there.

Next time we are out I will have to check out the inside of that house.