• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Warroad Fishing Reports

WhiskeyPete

I'll start a new topic for those of us on the west end of the lake. I don't have anything to share today, but here's the place to post any new information.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UPnorthFISHING

• WhiskeyPete

• northerndave

• Boar

Sounds like about 5 inches outside Springsteel so far. It won't be long and the action should happen!

Pete you fish the Springsteel area alot? I have a trip planned for the Last weekend of Feb. One group will be renting a house from the guys at springsteel and I will pull my sleeper up. What kind of fishing can we expect at that ime and in that area? I have never ice fished over there before.

Anyone talk to Bob? Is he pulling any houses out yet?

Bob emailed me yesterday. He said the ice wasn't ready for his operation to get started yet. With this wonderful cold weather, it shouldn't take long!

Pete you fish the Springsteel area alot? I have a trip planned for the Last weekend of Feb. One group will be renting a house from the guys at springsteel and I will pull my sleeper up. What kind of fishing can we expect at that ime and in that area? I have never ice fished over there before.

You know, I fish Springsteel area for summer fishing. Every winter I have brought my perm to Morris Point. I had a change of heart last year when I heard of my friends, on the west end, doing well. (It doesn't hurt that my buddy just bought a plow for his truck) As far as fishing goes, the reefs have done great for a year. If you like the mud flats for sauger, you can run over to south Buffalo and Whiskey Flats. If you bring a porty, there is a few secret spots a guy can hit on the off times. Stop by when you come up.

100_0013-1.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

I'm hooked on Morris point after what happened to me 1 time couple yrs ago. the vex turned into a swarm at dusk and i reeled up 1 after another for over 15 min. and they were all 15 inches. now i go shallow at dusk every time.

I was just sent this email from Bob:

"Pete, just letting you know, am starting to move smaller houses out tomorrow. Have most ready to go. Checked ice today, and between estates and S'steel, 71/2" to 81/2" of ice. Ice is kind of crappy, looks to have froze in 3 layers. Do not know what happened there. Water temp. is still pretty warm, that may have something to do with it. Will have small sleepers out this Thursday, people coming. Small houses will be out to 1st breaker, I have not heard if lake is completely froze over yet, cannot get ahold of pilot. Will not go too far until froze complete. Will know lots more tuesday. Regards, Bob"

I am sure he does. The only thing bad about that is if its cloudy you have no idea what the lake looks like. Also I have noticed that if there is no snow on the ice it may look like its still open but in all reality the lake is really froze

Sadly, no, I have been working in my garage the last couple weekends. I haven't had a ceiling or heat for years and finally had enough. Now that I have that project done I'm hoping to find time this weekend or next week to poke a few holes! I'll be sure to report my findings!

CAN'T SLEEP. Leaving for LOW in the morning on our first hard water trip of the year. Report to follow......

12/19/2009

Well, the 3 of us headed out of Springsteel this morning and we got fishing about 8:45. We started just East of DNR Reef in 20fow. By 10am we had 3 real nice keepers (15",16",17") in the bucket. Around 11:30 it had gotten pretty quiet on the MarCum, so we decided to head North. The next stop was South Tip in 22fow. This is where it went nuts. The three of us had a great time taking turns pulling up one Eye after another. Throw in 2 perch, and a pair of Sauger, and we each had our limits of Walleye. It was 2pm! We thought we'd cross the pressure ridge and head for the deeper water past Whiskey Flats. I stopped in 24fow and since we were cold, set up and spent the rest of the day pulling in 15" to 17" Eyes. Catch and Release program was in full swing by this time. Not much for Saugers on our trip, but WOW, some of the best hard water Walleyes I've seen in years. Great trip, can wait to get the skid house out! Next weekend hopefully. Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel!! cool

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

Sounds like you guys got a great trip in WP sounds like LOTW is really hot this year just hoping it stays that way until after Xmas when I will finally be making it up that way...the wait feels so long

I forgot to mention ice thickness. All three stops were over 13". Whiskey Flats was the best with 14" of clear smooth ice. Only the normal breaker at South Tip. So smooth out there, we drove "as the crow flies" back from Whiskey Flats.

When we were up there Saturday it looked like a group of his smaller houses on the Sandbar. I was to the east of DNR reef, but it looked like he may have had a few there too. I emailed him and I will let you know when he responds.

Pictures always help the long wait. cool

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

Bob emailed this morning and here's what he has to say.

Morning, Pete. Moved day houses from south of Springsteel(was doing VERY well there), and moved to breaker @ south tip. Sleepers go today. Will spend a week or so there, let ice settle down before crossing breaker. No worry for me, but getting people across on steady basis is completely another thing. Will be at my usual place next week on the flats, I am sure.Ice is from 10-14 in. now. Found 1 old fissure not healed very well, ranger broke through. Enough of that [PoorWordUsage], hard on old heart. As to your question on sandbar and DNR reefs, I try very hard to stay away from them. Locals like it there, my people pay me to get as far away from the crowd as possible. No offense to anyone, just makes life easier for all concerned. Will possibly gain some ice this week, not much, if weather man is correct. Water temp is dropping finally, but still fairly high. Mail me mid-week, will let you know of any changes. Thanks, Bob

Thanks for the update Pete, curious how you guys know each other. Do you help each other out? Just e-mail back and forth? Also, would love to find a detailed map of the lake(on-line?) So I knew all these spots you guys refer to on here. (Whiskey Flats, DNR reef, south tip, sandbar, ect.) Not being from the area and only getting up a couple times a year it would be nice to know where you guys are describing.

I've never met Bob. I decided to email him since he has way more knowledge of the ice near Warroad than me.

I do fish that area on soft water, so I have my own "hotspots". Some we won't speak about. If you would like a very good map, go to lake map dot com. They have all the maps and gps chips you may want or need. Sandbar is a local spot that has been producing well lately. I can get you the coordinates later. I don't have my gps here. The rest that we've mentioned are listed on a good quality map from mentioned source. Well worth the $15-20 for a paper map.

has any one used izzy's outta the patch motel in warroad

met the guide at the ice fishing show

just wondered if they do a good job any advice would be helpful

thanks rick

• 2 weeks later...

Fished DNR Reef Tuesday/Wednesday. Ice was 15.5". One water hole close to Springsteel island. Road was in fair shape otherwise. Fishing was SLOW.

• 2 weeks later...

Still on DNR Reef. 18+" of ice. There's a "highway" out to South Tip. With all the traffic coming in from way out there, a heave was starting near the island on Sunday. What does it look like now? Did it settle down any during the week? SLOW DOWN PEOPLE! Springsteel has a real nice road this year, so let's not make it hard on them to maintain it. MY $.02

• 3 weeks later...

I just called Springsteel and the road is open to South Tip again. Sure glad I can drive to my house again. Good job guys!! Headed out in a few.

Pete where does springsteel have their houses? I will be renting one for the day end of Feb. Im sure they will have moved them several times by then but general area. Thanks.

Lots of them at South Tip. I don't know about Whiskey Flats, but I'll be out there tomorrow and let you know.

We're in the house right now! Wireless rocks! 23 fow. Party all night---fish all day!! Went to Whiskey today, with the porty and sleds, and got this 36" northern.

pete36northern.jpg