• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Warroad Fishing Reports

WhiskeyPete

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UPnorthFISHING

• WhiskeyPete

• northerndave

• Boar

Hey boar.

The only thing I can tell you right now is second hand info from my buddy who retrieved his 20' skid house from south tip last night.

According to him springsteel put a lot of work into re-routing the road. He drove his pickup and a car trailer up to the end of south tip road, loaded his house and drove off without too much trouble.

That was last night (Monday)

Was out of springsteel up to south tip this morning, fishing was very slow.... read fish all morning but couldn't make them bite. Springsteel rerouted the road, kind of a maze but very driveable. Don't plan to show up in the dark and just drive right out to southtip.... might get lost for a couple of hours, lol.

A friend of mine was out there this afternoon from 1pm till 6 and he said it was nice and dry going out on the road and by his house but by the time he was leavin it was water around his house and the road was gettin wet....still passable

Hey dan yea im sure its gonna get sloppy should slow alittle on the weekend not suposed to be as warm.

heading out there today, thinking I'll take the tucker for a treck across to 12 mile.

my buddy said he saw a wheel house froze in pretty bad up there on monday, that would suck.

Just before you get to mine there is a green wheel house that must have 6 inches of water inside on the floor froze in.... guy is screwed until a major warm up. The water is almost to the center hubs of his wheels. I'm not going to say anything.... knock on wood. Dave you're headed to 12 mile today, we were thinking of taking the sleds to 16 or beyond but I've changed my game plan to just sitting in the house. Supposed to be a 50% chance of rain and an east wind.... both make fishing miserable. It's been like clockwork this year, east wind and no fish.

Green wheel house huh?

wonder who's that is? sure sounds bad and it's exactly how my friend described it. froze in bad.

"pass the salt"

I'm meeting a bunch of guys on the 12 for some fishing, staying the night in sleepers out there tonight, fish all day tomorrow & head back across whisky, hook onto my house and drag it closer to springsteel.

Tough going out in the open, I had to back up to twisted's track rig and pull him in the deep snow yesterday.

IMG-20110317-00033.jpg

Well we didn't try the warroad side of the pond. All I can tell you about that side is a lake road and breaker report. Springsteel fixed up the lake road out to south tip. I traveled east from south tip in my tracked rig and crossed the breaker out to whisky flats. I'm assuming it was Bob's that fixed up a nice breaker crossing with one of the tractor rigs and a blade. They sure did a nice job, I crossed there with no problems with a 6500 pound machine. It looks like bob is vacating whisky flats, it looked as though most of his houses were moved over to the west side of the breaker as of Wed evening. Whisky flats is looking like a ghost town.

I hooked onto my skid house on east whisky and pulled it across to the 12 mile reef, hit one bad slush pocket on the east edge of whisky flats otherwise it was smooth sailing.

We fished the 12 mile reef and honestly is wasn't bad fishing. Typical of that reef we managed to pick up quite a few jumbo perch with our walleyes, not many sauger though.

Lake roads are getting wet. I am thinking a lot of houses will leave lake of the woods this weekend.

My opinion as to wheelers vs snowmobiles (people always want to know) my opinion is that sleds are still the say to go.

Who has a weekend report? Did the lake get much rain. What will next weekend be like if Warroad gets 10-12" snow? Yes, I said it, more snow... I was just trying to plan a late ice trip and hoping to have a good thaw before hand, but now I don't really picture what it could be like for the next couple weekends. Hopefully the fishing picks up for a final ice adventure.

Go East! We fished the reefs out of arnesons wed, fri, and sat and took limits home two of the three days..... yum! I've been using my permanent shack at buffalo as a take off spot for the sleds. Much, much better fishing to the east. I haven't heard of anyone doing good on the springsteel side for quite some time. Could get interesteing with a bunch of snow on the ice...... I'm thinking I'm going to pull the permanent closer to the landing in case we get a lot of snow, may be deserted at buffalo.

Saturday I hooked onto my skid house on the 12 mile, pulled it across the lake past the 5 mile reef and on down to the warroad channel for some tip up fishing. The bite on 12 mile was really slowing as of Sat afternoon and I heard really poor Sunday.

On sunday we pulled the skid house east along south shore closer to swift ditch and set out a bunch of tip ups. We didn't get a single hit, and we didn't see anyone else chasing flags either.

The snow has really settled but you can still get stuck out there with a pickup if you hit a slush hole or deeper snow.

3 of us up on friday, fished Areneson's until 11:30, caught 3 keeper walleye and a 21.75, moved west of Gull rock and fished until 4:00, caught 3 more keeper walleye and a 25.5, and 14 saug, plain pink on a dead stick, pink frostee and a blue and chrome jigging rap were the hot lures.

I saw that wheel house, yeah that guy has his work cut out for him, wow.

It didn't say "Norsky Nest" on the front of it did it? eek

Well guys, sounds like the lake might get a mess of snow this week and travel is ugly out there the way it is. I'll likely be pulling a house or 2 off the south tip area this weekend. If you've got some stuff up there that you can't get to, look me up. I might be able to help.

Well dave then ill fallow you around to make sure that 4 tracker doesnt sink in the slush!!!!=0)

• 8 months later...

*tink*tink*tink* Anyone in there? Time to start the engines on the Warroad area again for another hardwater season. The skid house is getting a few improvements and so is the trailer. Won't be long and we can start draggin' them out. With the cold weather we've been seeing at night and no snow, it won't be long at all. What's the good word? DAN???

just talked to to bob and its open water out in front of the warroad marina...and on tuesday at the point i seen fog(steam) out not to far so that could have ment open water also

Wow... that was screwy, saw 18 pages of posts an started reading, Holy smokes bobs already pulling out houses, then it dawned on me wen i saw the posted dates. Der! Man Im still muzzy hunting. See ya guys soon. boar

I'm still hunting, but with so many hours in the stand this year I've had lots of time to think about the next adventure! I have the skid house in the back yard and haven't even had time to get things ready.

Last night of Muzzle 11 in a couple hours. I had "Tall Boy" within range last night, but he wouldn't step out. Hopefully tonight.