• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Warroad Fishing Reports

WhiskeyPete

Were'nt you gonna do a charter? How'd that go??

Sure been windy for the weekend fishers this year so far, kind of a reversal from last year when it to always seemed to blow midweek!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UPnorthFISHING

• WhiskeyPete

• northerndave

• Boar

Yeah, we did the charter thing. May 20th we had six guys together for a last bash before a buddy's wedding. We went out of Springsteel. The walleye chop was non-existent until about 3:30. We caught some nice fish along the border from Tom's to Whiskey Flats. Caught lots of sun too! I think it was about a 20 fish day, but Filo made sure we ate well and we had lots of fun.

Just got another report. Fishin' is good today. If you aren't there, you should be!! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Friday night we we're trying to decide if we should go fishing Saturday or not. I had no doubt that Saturday would be "The Day". All I had to do was convince everyone else.

Saturday we left home around 6:30. We weren't in a hurry and made our way to Springsteel. We loaded the boat, put up the top (for fear of rain), and then shot out to Whiskey Flats. I had a mark in my GPS for the flats and so we decided to start there. 25.5 fow was our spot. We dropped the anchor out on a short leash (about 40' of rope) and started jigging. Leaches and frozen shiners on 3/8oz jig heads were our weapons of choice. Orange and yellow and pink and white were the best. Pink and gold worked well too. It wasn't long and WHAMMO a nice 18.5" eye for the livewell for my buddy. His wife wasn't far behind with a nice eater. Myself and my buddy's boy being the last ones to get it the game. This continued for the next couple hours and soon we were dreaming of a short day filled-out and home before supper. We were nearly there when I looked up to find every color and size boat sitting at anchor just to our west. Every time we'd pull another NICE 18" eye aboard, we'd get a boat to buzz our location. We were doing well when I realized the bite had slowed considerably so we moved to 12mile to try and cap off the day. It took a little to find the right stuff, but we managed the rest of our 4 limits in time to get in to port about 2:30.

In the cleaning shack it didn't sound as good for those pulling spinners or those under that 25 foot mark. So, the anchor was good to us this day.

This was the first time I ever anchored up and fished LOW, but after this day, it won't be my last!

• 7 months later...

Hey, everyone just wondering if anyone has been out to 16 mile reef? Heading up that way next weekend any info on roads that be great Thanks smile

babblers road is good....I didn't go all the way out to 16 mile but my buddy wasn't exactly hammerin em the couple hours he spent out there...he prolly just wasn't set up right as JP told me that he heard they were catchin em out there

• 2 weeks later...

is 16 mile also called something else cuz I have looked at the map and have yet to find a reef called 16 mile

Most maps refer 16 mile reef as Archie's reef. It got the nickname from being 16 miles away from Warroad. It's a long drive out but it can be very rewarding.

Does anyone know if babblers road goes all the way out to 16 mile or do we need sleds to get there. Heading up this weekend. Thanks for any info.

If conditions allow Babbler will have a road punched out to 16. It has been closed on and off this winter due to pressure ridges and blowing snow.

LOW- You are also correct that it is only 7 miles out from Bablers. It's nice to know that the road is still in good shape heading out there. I've recently heard great to really slow reports off of the 16. I heard rumors that Babler sold his place. Does anyone know who bought it and are they going to run a similar setup as Babler did? This probably was posted on here already but I can't remember reading about it.

Me and a couple buddies fished at the end of Babbler's Fri/Sat/Sun. We were expecting a tough bite, so we had pretty mild expectations. We were pleasantly surprised and had a decent go at it on Friday setup in 27' and 25', we got lots of nice sauger for dinner with plenty to let go. Only caught 4 small walleye that day between 3 guys fishing. We got 3/4 of the fish off deadsticks. Saturday was a little better for walleye, got 6 with a couple nicer 16-17" fish, but the sauger were fewer in numbers and noticeably smaller that day. Fishing in 25' was going a little better, we ended up pulling together in shallower around noon. Sunday was amazingly slow for us. My buddy caught the only fish, I lost a dink half way up while packing. We pulled up at 11am and headed for home.

Anyone been out there lately? Thinking about heading out this weekend and have not seen anyone talking about 16 or Babler's road. Is the road in good shape and will we have a chance at some fish when we get there? I have been out mostly on the East side lately and have not heard about 16.

we were out there on sunday the 6th and the vite was tough. Ended up keeping 12 walleye/sauger mix for 3 guys. I think it needs to warm up a bit to get the fish more active. Road was in good shape all the way out there. good luck.

How far out does Babblers really go? Some say out to 16 mile, some say it only 7 miles. How far is it really?

I haven't used his access yet this year but I know that in the past Babler has plowed a road out around Gull Rock and past the several other small reefs (Pedro, Tower, 12, etc...) and finally out to the 16. The road out to the 16 is usually around 7 miles out (give or take) from Babler's access but 16 miles from Warroad which is how it got it's nickname. You can usually tell where each reef is out there based on the villages of houses. Plenty of structure out there to choose from, especially with sleds and portables. Hope this helps.

Was there yesterday - it goes out to 16 mile and there a few Y's towards the end of the road. The road is in good shape, although 1 lane in spots, and there's a few bumpy spots but not bad. Yesterday a car would get you to the end of the main road and maybe a few offshoots. 4wd w/clearance will get you a little farther but just be careful it doesn't get you stuck farther from help! If you like to take risks, bring a good shovel and tow strap.

Just looked at the forecast - wind and snow for tonight and tomorrow and there's loose snow on the lake now. Per the sign at the shack to pay for access - they don't plow if it's blowing so factor that into everything said above. There are spots on the main road that could easily blow shut if the wind forecast holds up.

First of all this is just a precaution to anyone headed to springsteel. The road out to buffalo has a breaker starting on the west bank of the road. There is one spot that is underwater that they have rerouted the road around. Between yesterday morning and this afternoon there are multiple places with up to a foot of water on the road. Maybe it won't become an issue, but between yesterday and today the breaker has pushed up 3' in some spots. Hopefully the cold weather tonight and tomorrow night (calling for -2) will refreeze the water on the road this weekend, could get nasty till it freezes 100% through. The breaker starts not too far off shore and goes up to the snowmobile crossing. I am contemplating moving my house off buffalo in case it gets worse. As of tonight the road is still very passable and it may not get any worse, but it sure has changed in the last 48 hours.

just got home from spring steel almost no new snow. Road was a big mess still passable but not by much at least 6 different spots with water over the road deepest was probably 18 inches trailer we were towing was under water in that one. fishing wasnt fast and furious but still managed to put a couple of nice limits together

yeh the breaker was passable on the trail we were out on wiskey flats breaker is really moving pick and chose your crossings couple other places we crossed good one day 4ft of water the next dont ask how we found that out whistle

I was going to head up yesterday and pull a bunch of houses off, maybe this week one day after work.

Glad to have my perm back in Red Lake Falls!! Bring on the thaw~portable time!

hey dave can ya give me a heads up on the snow conditions like wheelers or sleds type conditions. Thanks boar

stayed at the patch this weekend way more wheelers then sleds but if it warms for several days the wheelers might start having problems did watch a truck trying to find a way around the breaker and only saw him get stcuk once but was able to back up and get going again. he didnt find a path by the way