• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnesota River offers mystery, diversity

MN DNR Release

Looking to add more diversity, mystery and excitement to your fishing outings? Head for the Minnesota River.

At last count, 63 different species of fish were known to inhabit this 334-mile long river that begins at Big Stone Lake in western Minnesota and eventually joins the Mississippi River at Fort Snelling in St. Paul. From trophy-size flathead catfish to walleye and sauger, shovelnose sturgeon, white bass and more, anglers never know what type or size of fish might latch onto their bait when fishing this historic river.

Lee Sundmark, Department of Natural Resources Fisheries (DNR) supervisor at Hutchinson, said the Minnesota River has become increasingly popular with anglers and boaters in recent years.

“We have seen a tremendous amount of work by local citizens, organizations and agencies devoted to improving the river’s water quality in recent years,” Sundmark said. “As a result, more people realize what an outstanding resource the Minnesota River is and they’re taking greater advantage of it.”

From short stretches of white water to longer stretches of quiet water, the personality of the Minnesota River can change often. From Granite Falls to North Redwood, the river flows through an area of granite outcrops that date back some three billion years.

Stretches of the Minnesota River are included in the Minnesota Wild and Scenic rivers system. To be eligible for inclusion, the river or segment of a river and its adjacent lands must possess outstanding scenic, recreational, natural, historical, scientific, or similar values. Two segments of the Minnesota River between Lac qui Parle and Franklin are classified as scenic and one as recreational.

Anglers can fish by motorboat, by canoe or from shore and there are campsites and boat launching sites at various locations all along the river. Other than an occasional town or farm, long stretches of the river remain secluded and undeveloped.

“Years ago, the Minnesota River was basically a sewer system for towns built on its banks,” Sundmark said. “But eventually people discovered how wrong that was and what a valuable asset the river could be. Today, those same communities are embracing the river. They are building parks and trails and other amenities next to it, even holding festivals to celebrate the river.”

The Minnesota River was a major transportation route for Indians, settlers, explorers and fur traders. During the late 1800s, the Minnesota River was used to float logs and power sawmills and steamboats were once a common sight. For those interested in Minnesota history, there are numerous historical and cultural sites located along the length of the river, as well as the Minnesota River Scenic Byway for the auto traveler.

There are six state parks situated along or near the Minnesota River between Ortonville and Mankato. They are Big Stone Lake, Lac qui Parle, Upper Sioux Agency, Fort Ridgely, Minneopa and Flandrau.

The Minnesota River Valley Birding Trail includes 132 birding locations with the river’s watershed.

As with any river, high water currents can be potentially dangerous and navigation hazards can arise during periods of low water. However, during most of the summer and fall, the river is mild-mannered and peaceful.

Information about current water levels, accesses, and camp sites can be found on the DNR Web site.

“The Minnesota River is truly an amazing fishery,” Sundmark said. “It’s not uncommon for people to land 30 or 40-pound flathead catfish, along with some dandy walleyes. Spending a few hours in a lawn chair on a river sandbar or bank can be a great time.”

This sounds like a great place to fish, I should try it sometime wink

Great article! I can verify the river is a lot cleaner today then 20 years ago, and hopefully we will continue working on cleaning it up in the future as well. It is my favorite fishery

Nice write-up. I hear ya Wandering, it amazes me everytime I see the 1st bend upstream from Henderson landing...the bank/riverbed looks to have been a dumping ground at one time. I am sure this was common practice "back in the day" in other communities along the river; definitely is a resilient body of water.

great write up and thats why I love the river it changes daily and there is always something to see be it wildlife, flowers trees the list goes on and on and lets not forget about the fishing. Ive met alot of river folk that are unforgetable and some of the nicest people on the face of the earth.

I am very thankful to live on the Minnesota River. It's a 5 minute drive max to spots that can produce huge fish. I'm going to miss it in August when I move back to Long Lake. I guess I'll just have to drive a little farther and fish near Chaska.

This is all just a lie. There are no fish in this river. Plus it's stinky and there are too many bugs....

wink

and really muddy, and the only people that fish it are dirty unshowerd people with mullets grin

always welcome in my little honey holes.

I'm leaving this one alone gringrinconfusedlaugh

LOL Wow ya I should've seen that one coming WELL before typing it!!!!!!!

and really muddy, and the only people that fish it are dirty unshowerd people with mullets grin

I might be dirty and unshowered but I definitely don't have a mullet.....

You may have to show me the ropes up there here-kitty-kitty