• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing by fort snelling?

Has anyone fished the minnesota near fort snelling. Today I was in snelling state park probally a few hundred yards from where the minnesota comes of the mississippi, under the mendota bridge? I live near there seemed like a nice quiet spot. I was just wondering if anyone had fished here before?

Not sure what your after, but that area is a pretty good multi-species section of river. If it looks fishy...fish it. wink

There are a lot of fishy looking snags on the Minnesota side of Pike Island. It is a bit of a walk from the parking lot though. You're not allowed to ride a bike on the island either. Pack light and stay mobile.

its a good place to fish when the water is high and cool. Although, i've never caught anything in the murky water of the minnesota in that area. all the fish i've caught is in ssippi water. Just remeber , you can't keep eyes, saugers, bass or pike in that area. The dnr will run you down faster than a hungry pike.

The catch and release special regulation only applies to walleye, sauger, largemouth, and smallmouth bass in that area.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the boat ramp at snelling gets pretty busy? Sounds like there are some pike in there. Any biggins I wonder?

Also, it that part of the river pretty navigable?

Ya its a really easy stretch of river to navigate down, and yes there is some huge pike down there. Just make sure you pay attention to the park hours there.

Thanks. Yeah, it looks like you've got to be out of there by ten. I'm a river newby except from shore. Any general tips and river pike pattern tips would be appreciated.

one spot I will give ya is there is a channel just down stream from the landing on the left side. Take that all the way back to the back waters, but watch your prop its a tight fit. you should have some decent luck back there. You will find more muskies then you will pike, but thats not normally a problem lol.