• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New to the forum, great stuff ! A little late but, ventured out last Thurs... evening, first time to use the Blmngtn..access,(usually use Shakopee)Had multiple hits on cut bullhead, fishing the bends but no takers,I think we need some warm weather. Well, back to Shakopee, I didn't much like the barges.

welcome corrig and good luck fishing. really good stuff on this site

Barges aren't too bad if you have a radio to communicate with them.

I did not even think of that,thanks. at the risk of sounding ignorant what channel would I use on the radio ?

Sorry I'm a Shakopee guy, not used to the high tech stuff.

Hail them on channel 16 and request channel to transfer to. They will operate on different frequencies depending on where they are at and what they are doing. (16 is the emergency channel so try not to chat on that one)

The Barge captains really like it when pleasure crafts can communicate with them.

There have been a lot of times they have done there best to work with me and around me depending on the situation. (Even though they have the right away.)

Radio is another feather in the safety cap also.

Sorry I'm a Shakopee guy, not used to the high tech stuff.

LOL Now thats funny. I can think of a few on here that just loved that one.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you say to them or what do they say to you? What do you ask of them or what do they ask of you?

stay west of 169, and you will be in the clear. They don't normally running any further west then that.

stay west of 169, and you will be in the clear. They don't normally running any further west then that.

Don't ever smile

No barges at HWY 169 or Eagle Creek for that matter. A few bends east of Eagle Creek will put you into barge country.

Barges really aren't a big deal, just stay out of their way. wink

Ya I couldn't remember if I had one come passed 169 last year, but now that I think on it. It wasn't that far west.

No barges at HWY 169 or Eagle Creek for that matter. A few bends east of Eagle Creek will put you into barge country.

Barges really aren't a big deal, just stay out of their way. wink

I wish I had some video of that time when you and WWG were in my boat at the swing bridge and you guys about wet yourselves when the barge passed feet in front of us then rubbed the bridge making it shake....... whistle

Originally Posted By: LFC

What do you say to them or what do they say to you? What do you ask of them or what do they ask of you?

I initiate communications with the barge captains to let them know my location in relation to where they are. Check to see If they have room to get by or if I need to relocate, find out if and when other barges are coming through.

Request permission to overtake and pass if moving around them.

Lots of times they have a lot of current up to date info to share.

New to the forum, great stuff ! A little late but, ventured out last Thurs... evening, first time to use the Blmngtn..access,(usually use Shakopee)Had multiple hits on cut bullhead, fishing the bends but no takers,I think we need some warm weather. Well, back to Shakopee, I didn't much like the barges.

I got the skunker out there last night, too. Did you run into that huge barge that went under 35W around 11:30? That thing was a monster!

Ryan, nice meeting you @ the access last night. We ended up fish less for the evening as well. I had some motor issues running upstream early on otherwise I would have stopped to B.S. more. Fished with a buddy last night that has never used a baitcaster....I haven't dealt with a rat's nest like that in a long time. Overall, great night to be on the water. I was loading up when that barge came upstream. Biggest barge I've seen down there, cool to watch them navigate that under 35W. shocked

Yeah, nice to meet you, too. At least I wasn't alone in being skunked smile

You must have pulled out shortly before me. I think I saw you leaving the lot as I walked up to get the truck.

Originally Posted By: corrig

I got the skunker out there last night, too. Did you run into that huge barge that went under 35W around 11:30? That thing was a monster!

I spoke with some of the Supervisors at Cargill recently. They stated that barge traffic will be up considerably this season compared to the last few. Should make things interesting on the lower parts of the Minnesota.

Ryan did you get stuck behind the barge?

As an FYI if you contact the barge captains and request permission and designation to pass. They will often extend the courtisy to and back off the throttle....... Its a HUGE help.

For those that have tried to overtake a big barge in the dark with out communications... Its not much fun. eek

Quote:
I spoke with some of the Supervisors at Cargill recently. They stated that barge traffic will be up considerably this season compared to the last few. Should make things interesting on the lower parts of the Minnesota.

Yeah,the J.L. Fleming has been very busy as of late.

Ryan did you get stuck behind the barge?

No, I was headed downstream and it was headed upstream. I timed it perfectly so it was in my way as I was heading for the landing smile

I just pulled way off to the side and let it pass. He was pushing 3-wide, so he took up a lot of room!

Do you know the reason for the increase in traffic?