• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hidden falls park shore fishing tips

I live near Hidden Falls park and the ford dam. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for fishing from shore in this area on the river. I fished from shore a few times last year with not much luck. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Bring a wide variety of baits and lures. Open your window for which species you are targeting. Last night I went for carp and had to settle for catching walleyes with crankbaits. Above all, don't sit in one spot. There is at least a mile of shoreline to fish from so stay mobile. Take care when you get to Anklebuster Beach, the rip rap area closer to the dam. It's a long walk back to the car with a sprained ankle.

Anklebuster Beach, love it! I know excatly what you mean.

anyone planning on heading that way this weekend that wouldn't mind meeting and showing me around a little bit?

I wish I could take credit for "Anklebuster Beach" but, alas, I cannot. It is such an appropriate name for the area though that I can't help but use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been shore fishing Hidden Falls or Minnehaha recently? I'd like to fish today after work.

ha! i hit submit too soon! i'm hoping to get down soon. surprised it's mid-may & i haven't fished there yet. i have been fly fishing a lot though. so at least i'm fishing!

• 2 weeks later...

This is very close to where I will be reporting for work tomorrow so I'm going to throw a few rods in my car and head there after work around 3ish. This will be my first time shore fishing the river EVER, I hope I land some fish!

i've had great luck the two times i've fished hidden falls this year (all within the last two weeks). my wife even caught some bass, her first time shore fishing down there.

So I went today after work. I parked at the North Gate and walked upstream a bit. I fished for a little over an hour. I didn't really know what to throw at em so I threw: a spinnerbait, beetle spins, swimbait, and shad raps. I didn't have much luck but I did land my first ever Smallmouth Bass so that was exciting! I could definitely use some tips as well!

Smallie.jpg

Are you free thursday after work? I've fished there a bunch and usually always catch something. I might go down there after work on thursday..

I actually have a softball game Thursday after work. I was only out at University Ave for a day, now I'm based out of Oakdale, MN across from the Fleet Farm there. Me and my cousin I think are going to head out there pretty soon though!

So today I went down to Hidden Falls Park from like 6-9ish. We fished on the bottom. I mainly used a bait holder hook with some split shot sinkers a foot above the hook. My cousin used a lindy rig and then a gumball jig head. We both used nightcrawlers while down on the river. Shortly after getting down there I hooked into my first sheephead. It was small but I was excited to catch a new species. We caught some more sheephead and we both also hooked into a channel cat both small though. Then the cast after hooking into my cat, I hooked into something with a lot more size. I couldn't get it out of the current and it took me like two minutes to get on shore. It was a big sheephead!

Photo0084.jpg

Photo0083.jpg

Good trip to the big muddy.

Nice job. You never know what is going to be on the end of the line fishing the river with crawlers.

Yeah, I thought it was a cat! I will be out again very soon! I want to try some other spots out on the river too but I'm not quite sure where. Anyone have any suggestions? I live in White Bear Lake.

There's plenty of places to explore.. I've always wanted to try to keep following the river around to fish out by crosby lake