• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I need Quick Help!

wooduck26

Im leaving from work to go fish and am wondering if WalMart sells Tapered Leaders? Anyone kow?

I called them the girl had NO CLUE what I was tlaking about!

So fa it isnt loking good, might have to go outta my way on the way....I called 4 stores and none have them....(so they tell me)

[PoorWordUsage]!

if you cant find any just use straight tippet or buy a spool of mono. its not so bad if you are casting short distances or chucking huge flies.

ive never tied my own "tapered" leaders but i have used a 2 different size monos or flourcarbon tippets to make a leader.

maybe u could find some small spools of ice fishing line at wal mart. like 12lb, 8lb, and 4lb and tie them together in 3 foot lengths using a blood knot to fashion up a ghetto rigged leader.

just a thought.

sometimes when im lazy ill use a old tapered leader that ive worn down to 3-5 feet in length and then tie 4-6 foot of tippet on it.

Ahhh....I'll just hit the fly shop. Its not THAT far outta the way.....I like the 8.5ft 6X leaders, I should get some tippet as well.....I have a feeling it'll all be worth it when I set into the fist fish on a sz.16 BWO Emerger! wink

If you are in Oakdale, why not just hit Gander on the way?

I was leaving from work in Eagan....I went to River Falls and hit Lunds...great deals on flies there....cant beat a Copper John for $1.

I fished the Rush and was somewhat dissapointed, there was a good hatch of about a sz. 18-20 grey dun, I missed more fish than I can remeber in recent memory! I was sweeping emerges and had prolly 10 fish hit that I missed! I missed at least 8 rises to a #16 Grey Dunn, and had SEVERAL fish refuse a #18 Adams! the fish seemed to be VERY VERY picky for this early in the year! I also noticed a several of the fish I caught had red marks onthe outter lips from being caught MANY times already this year! The highlight was a fish I hooked into WAY WAY down stream between a log jam and a cut bank it was BIG fish, I saw its wake shoot out from the bank and HAMMER my sweeping emerger, he broke me off in about 2 seconds......BUT I know where he lives now! I will be after him next time im there! Beware Mr. Hookjaw!

Got it wooduck. Thanks for the report. Good luck going after Hookjaw next time. It's fun learning the location of a big fish and start targeting them as individuals. I pursued a fish for three years back in 2000-2002. I had him hooked once but never got him in hand. I figures he was 24"+ the last time I saw him. I like to believe he is still there. That's why I go...because it's fishing and not just catching.