• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Question about licenses? Help please asap

Well this might be a stuped question but i have never been out there before so i dont know for sure. I am going to everts tommorow and i have minnesota fishing license would i need to purchus a wisconsin fishing license since techically i will be staying at everts on the wisconsin side? Let me know if you know asap thanks guys. ALso does a 15 yr old in minnesota need a license? thanks again

If its border water you can use your MN license. You dont need a fishing license in MN till the age of 16

According to the regs you have to have a license from Mn Or Wi doesn't matter which. Its considered a boundary water so either state applies.

If you stay in Wisconsin you need a wisconsin license, im pretty sure of that.

I don't think this is true. A lot of folks here launch out of Evert's and only have a MN license. You can use either on the river. I don't see how it would matter if you were staying there. Call Evert's to make sure, they would know for sure.

Originally Posted By: sam12345
If you stay in Wisconsin you need a wisconsin license, im pretty sure of that.

I don't think this is true. A lot of folks here launch out of Evert's and only have a MN license. You can use either on the river. I don't see how it would matter if you were staying there. Call Evert's to make sure, they would know for sure.

There is nothing in the regulations that says you need to be licensed for the state in which you are staying in, or launching from. A license for either state allows you to fish anywhere between the railroad tracks that run down either side of the MN-WI section of the Mississippi.

You must abide by the rules of the state in which you are licensed anywhere between the tracks when fishing with one exception: when fishing Pools 5, 5a, and 8, all anglers must obey Minnesota's tighter bluegill limit on the Minnesota side of the river, regardless of whether they have a Wisconsin license. On the Wisconsin side, anglers may abide by Wisconsin's more liberal bluegill limit. (Yes, it's confusing.)

There is a guide book out there that gives the false information cited above; that is, it claims you must abide by the regulations of the state from which you launch when fishing Pool 4. This information is wrong. I don't know if the guidebook is the source of this mistaken belief, or just reporting it without checking the regulations.

If you are a Minnesota resident, you may not buy a Wisconsin non-resident license and use it on the MN-WI section of the Mississippi to make use of Wisconsin's more liberal fishing regs. (I knew people around Winona who found this out the hard way.) For instance, while Wisconsin residents may use three lines per person anywhere on the MN-WI section of the Mississippi, Minnesota residents may only use two lines per person anywhere on the border waters, even if they have a Wisonsin non-resident license. (Again, I know it's confusing.)

Thats right. You can stay on either side but you must have a license from your home state. Sorry for the confusion

Got a curve ball here; what if I am from MN (which I am), and I am shore fishing in pool 3 or 4 etc.... and in Wisconsin??? Does my MN license still work if my feet are planted on 'Sconie dirt???

Good question, my interpretation is that you are fine to fish it since it's still border water.

Got a curve ball here; what if I am from MN (which I am), and I am shore fishing in pool 3 or 4 etc.... and in Wisconsin??? Does my MN license still work if my feet are planted on 'Sconie dirt???

You are fine so long as you are west of the railroad tracks that run down the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi, regardless of whether you are fishing from shore on backwaters or the main channel. Again, you must still obey Minnesota's angling laws for the MN-WI section of the Mississippi, even though you are fishing on Wisconsin soil.

thats is what I would interpret it as too; Gonna have to remember that one next time I chat w/ CO. I would guess he would say the same thing.