• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnesota trucker missing after breaking through ice

By: Ryan Johnson, Grand Forks Herald

A trucker from northern Minnesota is missing after his vehicle broke through the ice this morning on Lake of the Woods, according to the Ontario Provincial Police, or OPP, Communications Unit.

Sgt. Ted Becker said the OPP received a call at 9:12 a.m. after a person waiting for a load of gravel became worried when the driver was late. He went looking for the vehicle and found a hole in the ice on the western shore of Lake of the Woods near the Northwest Angle, about a mile east of Monument Bay Lodge.

Becker said authorities have set up an underwater camera and already found the truck in an 18-feet deep area of the lake. They were still trying to locate the driver.

The OPP Dive Team was called to the area and will arrive sometime Sunday to assist in the search.

The Kenora, Ont., Ambulance Service and local police responded to the scene along with the OPP. The incident is still under investigation, and the driver’s name will not be released until next of kin is notified.

Reach Johnson at (701) 780-1105; (800) 477-6572, ext. 105; or send e-mail to [email protected].

I certainly hope for the best results.

My prayer are with the family and friends...

I found this on a news site.

The OPP are reporting a tragic weekend on Lake of the Woods.

A dump truck hauling cement from North West Angle Inlet to Monument Lodge went through the ice.

OPP divers retrieved the deceased driver from the cab of the truck.

The deceased has been identified as 68 year old Allen Elleson of Minnesota.

Meanwhile, a snowmachine went through the ice near Cyclone Island.

OPP are currently searching for the riders.

47 year old Wayne Windahl and 16 year old Jeremy Windahl of Warroad, Minesota are missing.

Members of the Kenora OPP Marine Unit, dive team and search and rescue will be attending the scene today to continue with the search.

This is my first post.The snowmobilers on Lake of the Woods were my brother-in-law and his son they were found late yesterday.It is really hard to comprehend why this happened. I have fished with him up there.He was always very careful with ice, this just goes to show you ice is never safe for anyone.I guess that is all for now.

Sorry to hear about your familys loss Rob--- my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

God bless, Rob. I've fished a lot in that area over the years. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and the Ellensons. Allen was hualing gravel out to Oak when I was there two weeks ago. Hard for me to comprehend now.

Dear rob, I am so sorry to hear of such a tradgedy for you an your family, I will pray you an those of your family. I'm so sorry for your loss. Take care an God bless. Boar

I pray every night that my family is safe. That the brave men and women who protect our freedoms will come home and enjoy what Our Lord has created. I am so very sorry for your loss. It seems a shame we have to go so early in life. Cast A Way