• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Early Season Shore Fishing Ford Dam/Hidden Falls

Looking for any reports, suggestions, or discussion on what to expect this afternoon when I make it down there. Anyone been having any luck?

I went down yesterday in the rain, and saw two boats... wait maybe three the whole time, no one looked like they were catching anything.

I tossed Perch color swim-baits, minnow color rap's, and a few other things and couldn't pull anything in. I tried a jig and gulp minnow and still couldn't even get a nibble.

Cold and wet, is how I would describe yesterdays fishing.

Oh well, it was nice to cast, but my powerpro kept knotting up in the middle for some reason. Maybe the wind.

Anyone know of a better way to catch fish down there from shore?

I'm going back down right now.

we always go for carp down there with oatmeal. never been skunked yet, lots of fun.

You hit it good with your choices, just walking along the bank casting can get some good fish.

I went down there yesterday and threw some more stuff for a few hours from shore... not a nibble... talked to a couple guys who seemed to know what they were talking about. They said that the water was up at least five feet from the weekend before, and that they just walked down to the dam to see how high the water was, and to watch the boat guys to see if they were pullin' anything in.

There were about 8 boats all congregated in front of the lock, and that was steady because as one left, another two would show up.

This good weather has got us fisher people going crazy!

The guy said he had about 25 years experience from minneapolis to hastings... and said that the water is still real cold, the fish are staging for spawn, and that once the flow of water gets moving, thats what will trigger the fish to move up to the dam... he had no real suggestions on how i could catch anything from shore other than just be patient, there are fish down there.

The water temp is probably 35 degrees, and I'd assume once it hits about 40-44, they will become more active...

So i guess i just have to keep my line tossed and my fingers crossed.

you mean throw way up where the current is very strong, and its bubling white foam? I want to throw in that?

All of the eyes I caught last year down there were right at the bend, or a little down from there, on the St Paul side before you get to the rocks. I tried to fish up closer to the dam, but the current was too strong and my baits wouldn't stay down very well. When I go, I usually just put on a floating jig head tipped with a fathead with an egg sinker and real it in slowly if the current is high. Otherwise I just leave it if the current is slow. I am sort of a lazy fisherman when it comes to the eyes.

i've been fishing hidden falls for about 5 years & for some reason just started fishing the dam area last year or two. i had some great luck last year. one monster northern. i'm thinking about heading down there next week. the weather this week does not look promising to warm up that water.

Like others said minnows are a safe bet but if you want to go the artificial route a jig and ringworm can be killer. Ive caught LM, SM, walleye, sauger, sheepheads, pike, rockbass, crappie, and whitebass on them. Id recomend a bass style shaky head/jigworm style jig so you can texas rig the worm to prevent snags. I tend to fish current breaks or small bays so I can get by with 1/8 and 3/16 oz jigs. Ive never really tried fishing them in high current areas from shore.