• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Open water catting

Made a pit stop at the Rogers Cabelas's today and checked in on my old buddy Big Blue. Seeing him again got the open water juices flowing.

I cant let myself get antsy after having to go cold turkey in the fall after a month or two it gets tolerable but once the river temp gets to be about 45f, I start getting real antsy. Still got a few months before that happens though.

Flaco you gonna go see POS at 1st ave at the end of the month?

Anyone else getting antsy? Boy thats all I have been thinking of lately.

After seeing those perch in your avatar, I don't think cattin is the ONLY thing you've been thinking of. wink

Holy smokes, those are big. Wonder if they'd make good flathead bait?

Yeah, it's getting a bit antsy here. Got some hooks the other day, thinking about what type of rods to get this year. Prolly need to stock up on sinkers, etc. Buy a little here and a little there and it doesn't seem like I'm spending any money at all! smile

I built one new channel rod and also puchased a new 7000 reel. Also purchased some glow syicks and hooks. I just need to get the boat home to get the batteries charged up and fill er up with gas.

I'll be hitting the Sippi for eyes and the early crappie bite and then, it will be time.

Quote:
Flaco you gonna go see POS at 1st ave at the end of the month?

Possibly. I used to go to all sorts of shows over at First Ave, but haven't been to any for quite a while. You thinkin' about headin' up?

Cattin, nah, not yet. I need to get through 2 more ice fishing trips. Then when open water comes some carp spawning, sheepheads, and whities, try to sneak out for some spawning crappies, this year will be my first sturgeon run. While the carp are spawning I will usually hit a few kitties, then the fever really kicks in then. So I do think of cats now and then, but there is to much other good fishing to jump ahead that far!

Although sitting in a boat in 80 degrees sure does sound fun right now.

I still got a bunch of ice fishing left in me too. A long with other species after ice out. Driving by the rivers around here lately (MN & Sippi) gets me thinkin' about all the nights spent out there waiting to here clickers or seeing rods doubled over in there holders again though. I'll try to remain patient. grin

Quote:
Possibly. I used to go to all sorts of shows over at First Ave, but haven't been to any for quite a while. You thinkin' about headin' up?

I haven't been to First ave in ages but yeah..got tickets already so I should be there.

I now see it falls on the same day as Cool Cats. We were kinda thinking about stayin up there and fishing sat/sun, but we'll see what happens.

I hear you guys... June 6th can't get here soon enough. wink

June 6th? Is this when the magical switch turns on?

A good buddy of mine has been open water river cat'in the last couple weeks. Got a very nice 12-13lb or bigger (30” plus) channel this last weekend. I seen the picture this morning. Very nice fish. He got a very nice musky a week or so back on cut also! I will see if I can get the image forwarded to me and post it wink.

I think a trip with him is in the future grin

I think I know where he is fishing! I used to head there several times a winter to fish, but I havent made it there at all this year.

• 1 month later...

Well I'm stuck up at college... took my ice fishing stuff home for spring break, and since I'm in Bemidji there's no way I'm gonna be fishing much open water (if any) before school's out. So I'm goin CRAZY up here lol!

Being new to MN catfish fishing, would someone advise some good rivers to fish for catfish?

Also could someone advise if the Minnesota River flows into or away from the twin Cities?

Thanks...

The main rivers are the Mississippi, St Croix, and Minnesota. Most of the tributaries of them also have cats. Channels are plentiful with the Flathead range being south of the Coon Rapids dam.

The Minnesota flows out of Big Stone near Ortonville, flows South to Mankato and then turns NorthEast from Mankato and meets up with the Mississippi near the MSP Airport.

You can get a good idea of the river layout if you bring up a satellite image in Google Maps.

I'm new to fishing cats in MN, but got out whenever I could in SD to fish for cats when I lived there. Moved to the Twin Cities a little more than 2 years ago, and would definitely like to get back into fishing for cats. So I'm writing this to see when anybody has an open seat, that you would be kind enough to give me a call and let me join you. I'd be willing to pay for gas/snacks/bait. You can contact me at [email protected]

Look forward from hearing from you in the future.