• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St Cloud Fishing Reports

Crappies finally moved in the dock after a 20 degree water drop. The size this year is not very good. Most are in the 8-10" range. The last 2 years they were 11-14". Maybe Rick G caught them all last winter?

Don

The carp were jumping out to far out of reach for me to cast,need a raft to get out there or next time bring waders.

You'd have to be a brave, brave man to wade in that pond. smile

Must have caught over 100 crappies off the dock last weekend. Size keeps getting better. Even kept enough for a meal.

Don

Was out on the chain this weekend after catfish. In total we caught 57 of them. I caught two nicer ones that were 5 1/2 and 6 lbs but the rest were in the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 lb range. First time on the chain and we had a blast, i will definitely be back.

I'll be heading up to the Avon, MN area later this week bringing the kids to visit their grandparents. I was hoping to take them out fishing in the area. Any suggestions where to take the kids so they can experience a tug on the line and what to use? Thanks in advance.

NE,I havnt gone over lately or heard any recent reports but Any of the spunk lakes in Avon would bring some fun.St John's is close by too and there's a small lake there off of a frontage rd sometimes is good during the day time.Hope it all go's well where ever you decide to go

It's been pretty slow on the river the last two evenings. Last night we got two cats, both were on the small side. Tonight we only got one cat and one bully, but the cat was a decent onefull-26589-35558-030.jpg I'm not sure what has the cats shut down, but hope things pick up soon wink

Sunday morning I had the chance to make it out to one of the smaller rivers close to town.full-26589-35562-002.jpg

full-26589-35563-004.jpg

We found a few decent bassfull-26589-35559-001.jpg

full-26589-35560-003.jpg and I even found a catfish grinfull-26589-35561-005.jpg

I'll be heading up to the Avon, MN area later this week bringing the kids to visit their grandparents. I was hoping to take them out fishing in the area. Any suggestions where to take the kids so they can experience a tug on the line and what to use? Thanks in advance.

NE Fishing, welcome to HSO and the St. Cloud forum smile As Jeremy said, any of the Spunk lakes would be a good choice as would the St. Johns lakes. Two Rivers, Pelican and Pine also would be a good bet to get the kids into some fish.

Almost forgot to mention, we had a huge hatch of may flies on the river tonightfull-26589-35570-024.jpg

full-26589-35571-025.jpg

The whole bottom of my boat looks like a insect slaughter house crazy must be a few thousand on the carpet... Looks like I'm breaking out the shop vac after I get done with work today smile

Jeremy/Rick - thanks for suggestions. We'll give one of those lakes a try; hopefully we'll have some good photos to share.

I am thinking of going fishing around the St. Cloud area and would like some advice. Where is a good place to fish from the shore?? Which lake??

Thank you so much for the help

Welcome to HSO and the St. Cloud forum MM1_TB smile

Plenty of good fishing water around this area wink What species would you like to catch?

Most days the Mississippi river would be your best bet to get some good shore action. It runs right through the city, and you have plenty of options as to where you can wet a line.

Rick,

I'm guessing the mayfly hatch is what slowed down the cat bite. the last time I seen a large hatch the cats were surface feeding on the mayflies and they may not be eating other baits because of it. they were too busy filling their bellies with mayflies. I have often wished that there was a floating imitation of a may fly that I could fish on a fly rod when I see the cat surface feeding like that. I tried floating a worm just under the surface but the cats wouldn't take it. this is just a guess based on what I have observed.

also CLEAN OUT your inbox. I need to ask you something via PM. I might just text you instead.

That does make sense about the may flies, there were millions of them crazy I figured it had more to do with the water temp and the dark phase of the moon smile

My in box only has 14 messages, I should be good to go.

What is the cattin like on the chain later in september? Wife and I are thinking of comeing down for camping trip and i am hoping to catch some cats.

As long as the temps hold it will be about the same as now. When the water temps drop they will school and head for deep water

Don

How deep are you talking? When we were there we were catching all of ours from 18 to 20 feet. Deeper isn't a problem, especially if they are schooled up. What matters is how they are willing to bite. I would think they would be eating like crazy but I am fairly new to cattin, especially in lakes. Thanks for your help

They will be in the same general locations until turnover, this is when the cats start to show up over the deeper soft bottom areas. I wouldn't worry too much about this in mid-late Sept though, unless we get some serious cold weather that is smile

Made it out to an out of the way spot for a few hours this afternoon. Got to my spot only to see we weren't alonefull-26589-35818-009.jpg

He wasn't real happy to see me wink and quickly found himself another spot.

Action was pretty slow, got a few bass and some smaller crappies on 3in grubs with a 1/8 oz head. Found a couple nicer bass later in the day, but they were pretty spooky... got this one to bit on a 7in Power Bait wormfull-26589-35819-011.jpg

Rick,You don't find bass like that everyday around here.Looks like a LM.Checked around above in sartell,the bass were all over live minnows.They were biteing from floating a bobber and I was catching them from the bottom.Only one of the bass was worth a picture.

Hit the river again for a little prime time fishing. Action was very slow for us, we threw creek chubs and shiners to the holes without much action. May flies were thick again, fish seemed more interested in the easy meal on the surface than the minnows we were using. Got a few pics of the city thoughfull-26589-35838-002.jpg

full-26589-35839-003.jpg

full-26589-35840-005.jpg

full-26589-35841-006.jpg

Checked out a local lake and nabbed around 20 sunfish and 4 large mouths.They were schooling on the bottom just above the weeds.18feet was the magic depth today.Size was ok a few in the pile were more interesting than the rest.The wind today was the big challenge.Lots of unhooked bites was the downer of it all. full-45395-35859-imag0381.jpg

Crawler dirt ,the bass wernt big I forgot to mention that.The bass were hitting Red plastics and the Sunnies were on the worms.Minnows were a waste of money today.