• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Share a wee bit and Help, please...

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Joe

Please post only fishing reports for the St. Cloud area here. evryone jump in!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Genofish

Hey Joe, I am normally out on the Avon area lakes daily but I have been traveling with my new position since October so i havent been out much. My brother has been using my Perm out on Upper Spunk and has been getting a few decent sunnies and crappies each time he is out. Other than that i havent heard too much around the area.

IceHawk

Been fishing fairly hard the last 2 weeks and here is what I have found locally.

Rice- A fairly consistent crappie bite but size has been a issue alot of 6-8 inch fish with some occasional bigger fish mixed in. Depth 20-22 ft. Fish are hitting Bros bloodworms and plastics during the day and minnows at nightfall.

Koronis is the best option locally for eyes. I prefer to fish relatively shallow on both Rice and Koronis for eyes say 15 ft or less. Jigging is bringing them in with a occasional fish but most of the time dead-stick rods are produceing the fish.

Alot of different options on the chain- A few crappies comeing off of Long, Cedar-Island and Horseshoe. Depths have been varying 15-19 ft has been the best for the crappies. Red glow hooks are hot right now. Bite is a strong evening bite 5-8 pm with a peak run at 5.30 pm. As far as Bluegills they have been a little tougher most of the lakes are produceing a few fish towards the evening Becker,Schneider and Cedar Island are the best options. Depths have varied they are shallow(6-10ft) and deep (18-24)ft on another. Look for any weeds that are healthy (green).

One of my fav Big gill lakes is Osakis and it has been a hit and miss on panfish. One day you can smack them and the next day you will struggle. Look to 18-20 ft of water on the N end in Mantheys bay. Always bring along some shrimp when ventureing to this lake as alot of times this will be a hot bait.

Minnewaska- kicking out some quality panfish look twoards 14-16 ft on the cabbage beds and you should get a few.

Fishing is a little slower right now as the oxygen is down in alot of lakes. Most of the best bites have been during peak times (sunrise and sunset). Look for things to really pick up in the next couple weeks as the snow starts melting etc and the whole underwater world starts comeing to life!!

Stick in Mud

I like your optimism, Icehawk! It's good to hear, even if I may not share it. smile

It's been hit or miss for me as well, with the only consistent bite being on Rice, though the fish have been quite small. Little Rock has been inconsistent, as has Clearwater. The river has been slow for me as well.

Either way, I'm looking forward to March! (let's be honest...I'm really looking forward to May...

Dellfin

Cedar Island Report (Sunday 2/1/09)

Spent the afternoon at the top secret crappie honey hole and got skunked on crappies. I did, however, manage to pull 18 bass (biggest about 13"), 1 perch and a small eye through the ice. First eye for me on the lake...yay me!

BuckmasterG

Out on Rice last night. Fish started coming through at around 5, LOTS of fish. The suspended ones were pickier and eyed the bait many times, where as the bottom feeders were smacking it. We were using silver wigglers and minners. Definately was exciting, but out of about 40 fish only were able to take home one limit for the two of us, really had to pick through them.

poolplayin

was out on rice last night. caught about 7-8 walleyes, all around 12 inches. had a nicer one on, and saw a few nicer ones other than that. few perch, big norten, about 8 pounds. maybe 10, lol. was sitting in 15 feet water. gotta stay away from people if your targeting walleyes out there, closer to the houses = less fish. just my opinion from what i notice with camera.

poolplayin

just to follow up, i did switch my baits several times before getting the one they would attack. caught all jiggin, glow red was the ticket. good luck to the big clump on the bar, lol

Stick in Mud

Was out at Little Rock last night...caught a few small crappies but nothing special. I did have the wonderful pleasure to help shovel out two different cars, one trying to get on the lake and the other off, both driven by people who had WAY too much to drink. I laughed delightfully when the fella got out of his truck and then fell over...then I remembered that I was sharing the road with fools like that. If I had known he was hammered, I would've left him there.

SchloeRide

Is the ice condition so poor that cars are getting stuck in slush? I haven't been out yet this year but have some days off coming up. I don't have 4WD so condition of the snow pack will dictate where I go. Any info? Thanks.

The Donk

Pretty quiet for 3 of us on Big Birch this Saturday evening. Fished from 6-36 FOW and didnt catch a thing... well, maybe a cold but I am not sure about that yet sick

Rick G

Tryed a couple lakes in the grey eagle area today. My target fish was gills. Was on my third lake by 1pm without much luck. Figured I could maybe have better luck on birch over in hunters bay. Well I did get a few fish but the avarage size was around six inches. All in all it was a pretty slow day of fishing but the weather was nice so I didnt realy care if the fishing stunk.

Ruegs23

We tried FishTrap near Randall tonight without much luck. Hoping to find a few monster crappies but could only manage small perch. It may be a little early for the pannies to kick in.

Stick in Mud

Schloe,

The road is very narrow and very icy, so I assume both drivers were going too fast and ended up hitting the bank, though I don't know for sure. When you get off the road, there isn't much of a problem driving around, but I would be careful. I was out there in a junky Oldsmobile and I made it around just fine. I hadn't had 12 beers, however. smile

Rick G

Made it out to becker today. Gills and crappies was what I was after. Found lots of fish in 18-20ft suspended as much as five feet off bottom. This would be a good lake to keep the kids intrested as we pulled lots and lots of 3-5 in gills and a few in the 7-7.5 in class and a few crappies that were also a bit on the small side but lots of action even if most of the fish ran small. Did the best with a size 14 white dimond jig tiped with two or three neo larva. With the warm weather we had today I figured there would be more people out on the lake only saw two groups of people and they didnt stick around long. Maybe the rain was to much for them. When I got out this morning the lake was pretty dry but when I left it was quite the wet slushy mess.

The Donk

Nope, definitely caught a cold... a bad one frown I think I may be getting past it now finally - We'll see if the wife will beat my head with the ol pan for wanting to go fishing tomorrow whistle

Rick G

Tryed cedar island for a couple houres this morning for eyes without much luck then moved over to becker for the afternoon-evening crappie bite. Pulled countless 5-7in fish and a few in the 10-11 in range. Had the camera down for a while and saw lots of big gills and crappies but they were not very intrested in my offerings.

backtroller1

You certainly didn't miss out on anything on Cedar Island tonight, very slow, not a single fish, marked a few on the vex. but no takers.

The Donk

Out on an area lake last night I found the fish to be cooperative, just not up in the shallower water where one might start thinking. I drilled a line of holes I swear halfway across the lake and found the sunfish packed out near the midlake structure yet. Lots of sorting, but managed 9 nicer sunnies and then didnt move around much when the crappies started due to gale force winds and caught prob 8 kept 3 around 10".

Stick in Mud

I, too, have found some fairly aggressive panfish recently...and a few chunky pike that seem to like my crappie minnows. And I've also only found them deep...not much up shallow for me.

The Donk

The last two nights have been spectacular weather, and pretty good fishing to boot. Went to a smaller sunfish honey hole on Monday night, not much for the sunnies but the bass were ravenous. Made up for the poor panfishing last night, on another lake with my PB for a sunfish hitting a whopping 10 1/4 inches, what a cow. Also many other keeper sized ones and a few crappies. Nonstop action for an hour and a half, didn't even need bait half the time. The people driving on the lake have got to have a screw loose- you could hear the waves under the ice as they went by! crazy

osok

Fished yesterday and today on Kraemer and did fairly well. Some keepers both sunnies and croppies, lots of sorting.

The ice is still good enough for wheelers or a light sled. Can't believe it but someone drove out in a miniwagon type vehicle tonight. As I stated the ice is still good.....but I'll continue to walk.

willyfahey

I was out in the bayou on Briggs Thursday morning.There wasn't much going on.I got a couple keeper crappie and a lot of small gills.Going to give it another try on Saturday/Sunday.

catman71

hit the river in sartell on Saturday. The water is to cold for my big carp spot.

about 52 degrees is what I was reading.

whitetail_freak

i tried for crappies on last saturday, maybe a little to early for them in the river, did catch a couple crappies and a few sunnies, but it needs to warm up a bit yet

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Wheezy Outdoors
      By Wheezy Outdoors
      The sweltering heat, high humidity values, and intermittent thunderstorms have certainly provided some challenges for anglers but even as we enter the dogdays of summer the fish are still on the chow!
      As we all know there is never any shortage of action when one sets out to target Bass. Smallmouth Bass can be found along the deep weed lines, rocks, and sunken humps. Try using a Drop-Shot Rig tipped with a Leech. Largemouth on the other hand can be found working the weeds inside and outside the lines using Tubes, Spinner Baits, and Carolina Rigs. In the early morning, try working docks, shoreline structure and swimming platforms next to sharp drop-offs.
      Of course, usually by this time of year we have shifted our focus to chasing Large Slab Crappies. The weed beds are holding large numbers of both Crappies and Sunfish. Pay especially close attention to the cabbage along deeper drop-offs. Slip-Bobbers using live bait or plastics, Small Swim Baits, Spinners, Beetle Spins are all working well, these buggers have been hungry!!
      The Walleye bite is also one that has yet to relinquish to the torrid, humid conditions. A lot of techniques have still been producing good numbers of fish. Anything from pulling Spinners in the weeds, Lindy Rigs, Slip-Bobbers, jigs tipped with Leeches, Crawlers or Chubs… Cranks, Shiver Minnows and the list goes on!! It really is Dealer’s Choice it seems, trolling Cranks on the mid-lake flats has been best toward the evening hours until after dark, Spinners have been enticing them during the mid-day, as well as jigging raps for the walleye found out over the deep structure.
      -Cheers!
      Alice Wiese
      Wheezy Outdoors
      218-275-7525

• Wheezy Outdoors
      By Wheezy Outdoors
      The sweltering heat, high humidity values, and intermittent thunderstorms have certainly provided some challenges for anglers but even as we enter the dogdays of summer the fish are still on the chow!
      As we all know there is never any shortage of action when one sets out to target Bass. Smallmouth Bass can be found along the deep weed lines, rocks, and sunken humps. Try using a Drop-Shot Rig tipped with a Leech. Largemouth on the other hand can be found working the weeds inside and outside the lines using Tubes, Spinner Baits, and Carolina Rigs. In the early morning, try working docks, shoreline structure and swimming platforms next to sharp drop-offs.
      Of course, usually by this time of year we have shifted our focus to chasing Large Slab Crappies. The weed beds are holding large numbers of both Crappies and Sunfish. Pay especially close attention to the cabbage along deeper drop-offs. Slip-Bobbers using live bait or plastics, Small Swim Baits, Spinners, Beetle Spins are all working well, these buggers have been hungry!!
      The Walleye bite is also one that has yet to relinquish to the torrid, humid conditions. A lot of techniques have still been producing good numbers of fish. Anything from pulling Spinners in the weeds, Lindy Rigs, Slip-Bobbers, jigs tipped with Leeches, Crawlers or Chubs… Cranks, Shiver Minnows and the list goes on!! It really is Dealer’s Choice it seems, trolling Cranks on the mid-lake flats has been best toward the evening hours until after dark, Spinners have been enticing them during the mid-day, as well as jigging raps for the walleye found out over the deep structure.
      -Cheers!
      Alice Wiese
      Wheezy Outdoors
      218-275-7525

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Up here in the Northwest Angle lines are tight and fish are biting! Water temps are warmer in the shallows at 50-52 degrees to upper 40’s in the main lake.

Recent weather was not great but the fishing was. Some of the best action has been within a few miles of the lodge. Walleyes have been found anywhere from 3 to 30ft. 22-30ft with a jig and minnow is best during daylight hours. 

Multiple trophy walleye were caught this week including a couple 28’s and one 31 inch.  The bite off of the dock late evening is really heating up and will produce limits.

Come up soon to take advantage of great spring fishing! 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      We're still OPEN & fishing up at the NW Angle!
      Fishing on the Minnesota side continues to be best early morning and from sundown to dusk. Work deeper edges of the break line in the morning and afternoon, moving up to the flats and points for an evening flurry. With low pressure coming for the weekend expect fishing to be excellent.
      On the Ontario side, Crappie action was really good this past weekend in 30+ feet of water. Lots of fish over 14."
      Lake conditions have drastically improved as water making slush has receded below the ice or has frozen over in most areas. Caution should be used in areas of high current or between islands. 
      Hard water fishing ends April 15th!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Areas of slush on trails in Minnesota are refreezing overnight and are still in good condition if well-traveled.  Walleye action is getting better every day, with mornings and late evening being best.  Rippin’ raps and buckshots are enticing violent strikes; 18-22 ft of water is key. Big northern pike are hitting jiggin’ spoons and tip ups with large baits.

Anglers venturing into Canada continue to find schooled Crappies and big walleye deeper into 30+ feet. A slow presentation is most effective for catching crappies. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota snowmobile trail conditions are in good shape. The Baudette trail is great north of Knight Island. Walleye action heats up in periods of stable weather. The best catching is happening in 21-25ft, with the most productive method being a dead-stick beside an actively jigged rattle bait such as a buckshot or rippin’ rap. Glow white/pink is out producing other colors. The late ice bite can be phenomenal on Lake of the Woods, ice permitting we will have houses out through the end of the month!

Canadian fishing is recommended via snowmobile as they are light enough not to drop into the slush as easy as other track vehicles. Crappies are still filling buckets and walleye are actively feeding on reef break lines and points. Walleye season is open through April 14th. 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing is really starting to pick up, which usually means Spring is on the way! 

Fishing on the Minnesota side has been best at first and last light, which can make for long days on the ice this time of year.  The Sauger bite has really picked up with a lot good sized eaters coming out of 21-25 ft. The most effective colors for both Walleye and Sauger have been Chartreuse, White, any Glow/lighted/UV (specifically red) and hammered gold. When fishing at depths less than 20 feet, keep an active presentation. Northerns tend to be most active in the early afternoon which is a good time to take a break from jigging and put out a tip-up.

Fishing on the Canadian side has been good since the last snow storm and continues to produce Crappie and Walleye. A light setup for crappies with plastics or larvae has been productive.  

Slush is still frozen in well-traveled areas but it plentiful off trail.  

Fishing will continue to improve as the weather does, there is still a lot of time to fit in a last minute ice fishing trip!!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota Walleye can be found in 19-23ft early and late in the day.  Rattle baits will call these actively feeding fish to the hole.  Midday action is best adjacent to the break line at 25-29ft.  These fish are preferring a more subtle presentation such as a minnow and plain hook or a spoon with a whole minnow on a dead-stick.  It remains important to constantly re-charge glow baits to keep them productive in the deeper water. 

In Canada, walleye and crappie fishing is good in typical spots. Travel can become difficult in slushy areas, solo travel is not advised. Try to run on previous tracks laid as areas of slush will have frozen over night where machines have packed the trail.  We are no longer running day houses on the Canadian side, however now is your chance to bring snowmobiles, hire a local guide and limit out on the hot March bite! 

We are still offering 50% off mid-week lodging through March! (Sun-Wed nights)

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye are being caught at a variety of depths with 24-27’ being the most consistent. Glow red with gold has been a hot combo this week. Rattle baits continue to draw active fish to our houses. Sauger activity has been very strong, providing Anglers the opportunity for full limits before new regulations take effect on March 1st. New limit regulations give a combination of six walleye/sauger with no more than 4 walleye. The slot of 19.5”-28 must be immediately release with one walleye over 28’ to be allowed in possession.

Canadian crappies are still filling buckets and freezers, they can be found near the bottom in 32-35ft. Super light tackle and willingness to keep trying different jig combinations is producing the most fish.  Many tulibee are being seen this week, which make for a tasty treat out of the smoker.  Walleye fishing continues to be very good in traditional areas, depth at 23-28ft. 

Snow depth in our areas is between 2 and 2.5 ft. Trails are in great condition after last weeks snow and wind conditions. 

Until next week, 
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, we are finding Perch, Walleye and Sauger, with 23-25 ft in the gravel being the most succesful. A lot of fish pulled from these areas were found to be preying on crawfish and spitting them up upon surfacing.  Pink and white has been the top producing color combo once again. It is equally important to keep charging your glow lures. During periods of extreme cold the Dead-stick was most effective. Very nice Saugers are still being caught out of 28-29 ft.  The best action has been early and late in the day. 

Canada has been providing mixed bags, seeing Perch, Crappie, Walleye and big Northerns.  A couple of limits of big crappies again this week, 30-33ft being the most successful depth. Big walleye and northern found in Little Traverse on rock reefs. 

We received 8+ inches of snow within the past few days, trails have large drifts that are hard to see, take caution in low light conditions until trail can be groomed.

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Hey, Rick if your going to start deleting posts.  Maybe you could start with miss quotes added by others. I never said this above but my name was added!      1 hour ago, leech~~ said: There is several year classes because 10s of thousands of dollars were dumped into stocking the lake   You seemed to like this persons rant thought! Even though he added nothing, made no points or any related information himself, but his own personal feelings to the conversation. Nice! 🤐   tfin HSOShow.com Family     Leech,   "In 1989, the tribe's commercial netters  registered a record 948,000 pounds of walleye."   And this years quota was just about back to that of 820,000.  So did they learn anything?   You posted this as if it makes a point but it has no bearing what so ever.  It seams that you're the one that can't seem to learn anything.  Stop using non related information to try to prove a point.  In 1989 the total lbs of fish in the lake may have been 1/100 of what it I this year.  So what if the Indians use it as a commercial fishery.  We took the whole country from the and use it for commercial everything all in the name of greed!  Pull your head out and realize that giving them a piece of water and letting them do with it what they want is a good thing and they are working with us to make it a well sustained fishery  But in order to do that you would have to be selfless for a second so let's not hold our breath waiting.    
    • kelly-p
      Are you forgetting about the estimated 1,500,000 pounds of walleyes a year bootlegged  in the 90's?   The last of the stocked fish died off 7 or 8 years ago. This is all natural spawn now.
    • Rick
      Check those backwaters out. Lots of fish there. Just look for the cars parked.
    • bowhuntingboy1
      If the quota in the 90s was only 100kish more than it is now, that's a problem as it signifies they could potentially reach very near that quota. There is several year classes because 10s of thousands of dollars were dumped into stocking the lake, with the band funding about 2/3, which we should be grateful for. Still cost the state 28k and that is not a situation you want to have to keep a lake running. If we dont either have more huge, expensive stockings or stop tribal netting, red lake will again one day struggle. 
    • smurfy
      I do a lot of spearing and have never hear of a catch cover for a spear hole. my wifes house basically has the wood that was cut from the floor hinged to the floor as a cover??????
    • Rocky
      I am trying to find a catch cover type spear hole cover but cannot find one. Catch cover said they do not make one. I have seen them, just not sure where to get them. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    • leech~~
      I'm sure that we may not hear back from you, but you are right. There are some good deals on used flashers to be had. I picked up this spotless FL-8 with a battery and charger for my grandsons that was hardly used for $100 bills even! 👍    
    • leech~~
      Welcome to the forum.  The only way this could happen is if the idler is to high or the clutch is stuck and engaging.  Good Luck, let us know if you get it figured out?  It could help others with the same issue.   
    • Horseshoe_Don
      Got a few eyes but no size and all were within 15 minutes.   This is my 3rd year on that trap.    I checked the clear ice less that 2 days ago on the north end of my point and I would have gone through.   no doubt about it.   Waiting for more ice to get to my secret spot, yes the one you know.   Don
    • Tommyjohn
      I've had this Jiffy propane ice auger for a couple years and shortly after I bought it used, it would spin viciously while idling.  I took it apart because I thought it may be the clutch or clutch springs but those appeared okay.  I also adjusted the idler screw on the throttle plate and this did nothing.  Any ideas?