• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Joe

Please post only fishing reports for the St. Cloud area here. evryone jump in!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Genofish

Hey Joe, I am normally out on the Avon area lakes daily but I have been traveling with my new position since October so i havent been out much. My brother has been using my Perm out on Upper Spunk and has been getting a few decent sunnies and crappies each time he is out. Other than that i havent heard too much around the area.

IceHawk

Been fishing fairly hard the last 2 weeks and here is what I have found locally.

Rice- A fairly consistent crappie bite but size has been a issue alot of 6-8 inch fish with some occasional bigger fish mixed in. Depth 20-22 ft. Fish are hitting Bros bloodworms and plastics during the day and minnows at nightfall.

Koronis is the best option locally for eyes. I prefer to fish relatively shallow on both Rice and Koronis for eyes say 15 ft or less. Jigging is bringing them in with a occasional fish but most of the time dead-stick rods are produceing the fish.

Alot of different options on the chain- A few crappies comeing off of Long, Cedar-Island and Horseshoe. Depths have been varying 15-19 ft has been the best for the crappies. Red glow hooks are hot right now. Bite is a strong evening bite 5-8 pm with a peak run at 5.30 pm. As far as Bluegills they have been a little tougher most of the lakes are produceing a few fish towards the evening Becker,Schneider and Cedar Island are the best options. Depths have varied they are shallow(6-10ft) and deep (18-24)ft on another. Look for any weeds that are healthy (green).

One of my fav Big gill lakes is Osakis and it has been a hit and miss on panfish. One day you can smack them and the next day you will struggle. Look to 18-20 ft of water on the N end in Mantheys bay. Always bring along some shrimp when ventureing to this lake as alot of times this will be a hot bait.

Minnewaska- kicking out some quality panfish look twoards 14-16 ft on the cabbage beds and you should get a few.

Fishing is a little slower right now as the oxygen is down in alot of lakes. Most of the best bites have been during peak times (sunrise and sunset). Look for things to really pick up in the next couple weeks as the snow starts melting etc and the whole underwater world starts comeing to life!!

Stick in Mud

I like your optimism, Icehawk! It's good to hear, even if I may not share it. smile

It's been hit or miss for me as well, with the only consistent bite being on Rice, though the fish have been quite small. Little Rock has been inconsistent, as has Clearwater. The river has been slow for me as well.

Either way, I'm looking forward to March! (let's be honest...I'm really looking forward to May...

Dellfin

Cedar Island Report (Sunday 2/1/09)

Spent the afternoon at the top secret crappie honey hole and got skunked on crappies. I did, however, manage to pull 18 bass (biggest about 13"), 1 perch and a small eye through the ice. First eye for me on the lake...yay me!

BuckmasterG

Out on Rice last night. Fish started coming through at around 5, LOTS of fish. The suspended ones were pickier and eyed the bait many times, where as the bottom feeders were smacking it. We were using silver wigglers and minners. Definately was exciting, but out of about 40 fish only were able to take home one limit for the two of us, really had to pick through them.

poolplayin

was out on rice last night. caught about 7-8 walleyes, all around 12 inches. had a nicer one on, and saw a few nicer ones other than that. few perch, big norten, about 8 pounds. maybe 10, lol. was sitting in 15 feet water. gotta stay away from people if your targeting walleyes out there, closer to the houses = less fish. just my opinion from what i notice with camera.

poolplayin

just to follow up, i did switch my baits several times before getting the one they would attack. caught all jiggin, glow red was the ticket. good luck to the big clump on the bar, lol

Stick in Mud

Was out at Little Rock last night...caught a few small crappies but nothing special. I did have the wonderful pleasure to help shovel out two different cars, one trying to get on the lake and the other off, both driven by people who had WAY too much to drink. I laughed delightfully when the fella got out of his truck and then fell over...then I remembered that I was sharing the road with fools like that. If I had known he was hammered, I would've left him there.

SchloeRide

Is the ice condition so poor that cars are getting stuck in slush? I haven't been out yet this year but have some days off coming up. I don't have 4WD so condition of the snow pack will dictate where I go. Any info? Thanks.

The Donk

Pretty quiet for 3 of us on Big Birch this Saturday evening. Fished from 6-36 FOW and didnt catch a thing... well, maybe a cold but I am not sure about that yet sick

Rick G

Tryed a couple lakes in the grey eagle area today. My target fish was gills. Was on my third lake by 1pm without much luck. Figured I could maybe have better luck on birch over in hunters bay. Well I did get a few fish but the avarage size was around six inches. All in all it was a pretty slow day of fishing but the weather was nice so I didnt realy care if the fishing stunk.

Ruegs23

We tried FishTrap near Randall tonight without much luck. Hoping to find a few monster crappies but could only manage small perch. It may be a little early for the pannies to kick in.

Stick in Mud

Schloe,

The road is very narrow and very icy, so I assume both drivers were going too fast and ended up hitting the bank, though I don't know for sure. When you get off the road, there isn't much of a problem driving around, but I would be careful. I was out there in a junky Oldsmobile and I made it around just fine. I hadn't had 12 beers, however. smile

Rick G

Made it out to becker today. Gills and crappies was what I was after. Found lots of fish in 18-20ft suspended as much as five feet off bottom. This would be a good lake to keep the kids intrested as we pulled lots and lots of 3-5 in gills and a few in the 7-7.5 in class and a few crappies that were also a bit on the small side but lots of action even if most of the fish ran small. Did the best with a size 14 white dimond jig tiped with two or three neo larva. With the warm weather we had today I figured there would be more people out on the lake only saw two groups of people and they didnt stick around long. Maybe the rain was to much for them. When I got out this morning the lake was pretty dry but when I left it was quite the wet slushy mess.

The Donk

Nope, definitely caught a cold... a bad one frown I think I may be getting past it now finally - We'll see if the wife will beat my head with the ol pan for wanting to go fishing tomorrow whistle

Rick G

Tryed cedar island for a couple houres this morning for eyes without much luck then moved over to becker for the afternoon-evening crappie bite. Pulled countless 5-7in fish and a few in the 10-11 in range. Had the camera down for a while and saw lots of big gills and crappies but they were not very intrested in my offerings.

backtroller1

You certainly didn't miss out on anything on Cedar Island tonight, very slow, not a single fish, marked a few on the vex. but no takers.

The Donk

Out on an area lake last night I found the fish to be cooperative, just not up in the shallower water where one might start thinking. I drilled a line of holes I swear halfway across the lake and found the sunfish packed out near the midlake structure yet. Lots of sorting, but managed 9 nicer sunnies and then didnt move around much when the crappies started due to gale force winds and caught prob 8 kept 3 around 10".

Stick in Mud

I, too, have found some fairly aggressive panfish recently...and a few chunky pike that seem to like my crappie minnows. And I've also only found them deep...not much up shallow for me.

The Donk

The last two nights have been spectacular weather, and pretty good fishing to boot. Went to a smaller sunfish honey hole on Monday night, not much for the sunnies but the bass were ravenous. Made up for the poor panfishing last night, on another lake with my PB for a sunfish hitting a whopping 10 1/4 inches, what a cow. Also many other keeper sized ones and a few crappies. Nonstop action for an hour and a half, didn't even need bait half the time. The people driving on the lake have got to have a screw loose- you could hear the waves under the ice as they went by! crazy

osok

Fished yesterday and today on Kraemer and did fairly well. Some keepers both sunnies and croppies, lots of sorting.

The ice is still good enough for wheelers or a light sled. Can't believe it but someone drove out in a miniwagon type vehicle tonight. As I stated the ice is still good.....but I'll continue to walk.

willyfahey

I was out in the bayou on Briggs Thursday morning.There wasn't much going on.I got a couple keeper crappie and a lot of small gills.Going to give it another try on Saturday/Sunday.

catman71

hit the river in sartell on Saturday. The water is to cold for my big carp spot.

about 52 degrees is what I was reading.

whitetail_freak

i tried for crappies on last saturday, maybe a little to early for them in the river, did catch a couple crappies and a few sunnies, but it needs to warm up a bit yet

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota snowmobile trail conditions are in good shape. The Baudette trail is great north of Knight Island. Walleye action heats up in periods of stable weather. The best catching is happening in 21-25ft, with the most productive method being a dead-stick beside an actively jigged rattle bait such as a buckshot or rippin’ rap. Glow white/pink is out producing other colors. The late ice bite can be phenomenal on Lake of the Woods, ice permitting we will have houses out through the end of the month!

Canadian fishing is recommended via snowmobile as they are light enough not to drop into the slush as easy as other track vehicles. Crappies are still filling buckets and walleye are actively feeding on reef break lines and points. Walleye season is open through April 14th. 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing is really starting to pick up, which usually means Spring is on the way! 

Fishing on the Minnesota side has been best at first and last light, which can make for long days on the ice this time of year.  The Sauger bite has really picked up with a lot good sized eaters coming out of 21-25 ft. The most effective colors for both Walleye and Sauger have been Chartreuse, White, any Glow/lighted/UV (specifically red) and hammered gold. When fishing at depths less than 20 feet, keep an active presentation. Northerns tend to be most active in the early afternoon which is a good time to take a break from jigging and put out a tip-up.

Fishing on the Canadian side has been good since the last snow storm and continues to produce Crappie and Walleye. A light setup for crappies with plastics or larvae has been productive.  

Slush is still frozen in well-traveled areas but it plentiful off trail.  

Fishing will continue to improve as the weather does, there is still a lot of time to fit in a last minute ice fishing trip!!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota Walleye can be found in 19-23ft early and late in the day.  Rattle baits will call these actively feeding fish to the hole.  Midday action is best adjacent to the break line at 25-29ft.  These fish are preferring a more subtle presentation such as a minnow and plain hook or a spoon with a whole minnow on a dead-stick.  It remains important to constantly re-charge glow baits to keep them productive in the deeper water. 

In Canada, walleye and crappie fishing is good in typical spots. Travel can become difficult in slushy areas, solo travel is not advised. Try to run on previous tracks laid as areas of slush will have frozen over night where machines have packed the trail.  We are no longer running day houses on the Canadian side, however now is your chance to bring snowmobiles, hire a local guide and limit out on the hot March bite! 

We are still offering 50% off mid-week lodging through March! (Sun-Wed nights)

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye are being caught at a variety of depths with 24-27’ being the most consistent. Glow red with gold has been a hot combo this week. Rattle baits continue to draw active fish to our houses. Sauger activity has been very strong, providing Anglers the opportunity for full limits before new regulations take effect on March 1st. New limit regulations give a combination of six walleye/sauger with no more than 4 walleye. The slot of 19.5”-28 must be immediately release with one walleye over 28’ to be allowed in possession.

Canadian crappies are still filling buckets and freezers, they can be found near the bottom in 32-35ft. Super light tackle and willingness to keep trying different jig combinations is producing the most fish.  Many tulibee are being seen this week, which make for a tasty treat out of the smoker.  Walleye fishing continues to be very good in traditional areas, depth at 23-28ft. 

Snow depth in our areas is between 2 and 2.5 ft. Trails are in great condition after last weeks snow and wind conditions. 

Until next week, 
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, we are finding Perch, Walleye and Sauger, with 23-25 ft in the gravel being the most succesful. A lot of fish pulled from these areas were found to be preying on crawfish and spitting them up upon surfacing.  Pink and white has been the top producing color combo once again. It is equally important to keep charging your glow lures. During periods of extreme cold the Dead-stick was most effective. Very nice Saugers are still being caught out of 28-29 ft.  The best action has been early and late in the day. 

Canada has been providing mixed bags, seeing Perch, Crappie, Walleye and big Northerns.  A couple of limits of big crappies again this week, 30-33ft being the most successful depth. Big walleye and northern found in Little Traverse on rock reefs. 

We received 8+ inches of snow within the past few days, trails have large drifts that are hard to see, take caution in low light conditions until trail can be groomed.

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Fishing remains consistently strong on the Minnesota side this week. Many species are quick to bite leaving anglers with a very mixed bag at the end of the day. We saw multiple 40+ inch Northern, many Perch, even a Lake Trout among an already strong Walleye bite. 22-24 ft on gravel bottom surrounded by mud has been our best spots. Be sure to charge up any Glow tackle in use, with the increasing snow cover, glow or lighted lures have been hot. Pink/white and gold are also very effective on sunny days.
      The Canadian bite just keeps getting better! Crappies can be found in 30 foot holes while 22-26 ft flats on break lines have been hot for a Sauger/Walleye mix.
      Remember to stick to well-traveled trails as most have not been staked/marked as of yet.
      Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• jtnjenn
      By jtnjenn
      What are ice depths in the metro right now?
    • Hatto018
      By Hatto018
      So the weeks betwixt point and click and smoke pole deer hunting always have my ire up to get that last Musky Missile into my hands.  Gotta scrub that slime into my glove until next year.  Going to give the Mississippi below Falls a try here in a few hours.   Might find it frozen, might find a spot to get in.   I'll bring my boat because I'm an optimist,  but I'll bet the kayak is where i end up.   
      Wish me luck, otherwise I have a scheme on my mind for my favorite frozen central mn musky lake. 

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are holding in the low 50's but expect them to continue to drop this week with temperatures in the high 30's and even snow in the forecast.

Both Minnesota and Canadian walleye fishing are on fire with only a jig and shiner or minnow needed. Look for Walleye in areas of current, pinch points between islands or rocky bays. Fish are currently shiner dependent in 17-25 feet.

Crappies are being found away from the rocks suspended over mud bottoms in 24-28 feet.

Perch can be found on deeper reefs topping out at 28 feet. 

Muskie trolling is off to a great start and will only continue to get better as the water temperature reaches into the high 40's. 

We will be closing down for ice in October 22nd - we hope to see you before then for some late fall fantastic fishing!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Lake of the Woods water temps are steadily falling into the mid to low 50’s. This past week cold fronts and strong winds have fish schooling up and feeding heavily.

In Minnesota, look to rocky bays and adjacent reefs in 15-22ft. of water.  A jig and minnow is all that is needed to catch a limit in a short period of time. Bottle necks between islands in the NW Angle are also worth fishing in the evenings.

In Canada, the fishing has been excellent.  Crappie, walleye and perch are all schooling up and taking a jig and minnow.  With the water temperatures dropping, expect to see the muskie bite increase while trolling. 

We will be closing October 22nd for ice in! Contact us for availability for your fall fishing trip!

We hope to see you soon,
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• PRO-V
    • IceHawk
      Yah the Dam in cold spring is quite the site I stopped there and looked at it . Its gushing !!
    • smurfy
      I just drove by the chain and can second that!!!!!!! in cold spring there was a sheriffs deputy and a cold spring officer on the old railroad bridge. the deputy looked like he had some type of gadget in his hand. water was really pouring over that dam.  with the news that Antons got evacuated last nite with a full house i'm sure everyones on full flood alert!!!
    • IceHawk
      I would say its over around my area. We tried to get on numerous lakes yesterday with hip boots and broke through all the edges. still ice out there once you reach it but  Things are going fast. Water is riseing fast. the hwy 22 access is completely flooded and gaining elevation by the minute.  Might make a few Northwest runs yet but locally I wont be takeing the risk anymore been a weird year but honestly i'm ready for the long rods to come out!
    • IceHawk
      Great info and read 
    • gunner55
      On the way back from the store for the paper today I noticed some blue bags on the trees in  your area on the north side of the blacktop, that you guys? 
    • BIGFISH.JZ
      I forgot the word "release". Release the bigger fish!!
    • smurfy
      well i'm gonna be here a lot next week begging for snow and ice information!!!!! so get your homework done!!!!!😁
    • Borch
      Sounds like several lakes are experiencing winter kills in the Wilmar area this year.  The extent of the kill isn't clear yet but Big Kandi has had some walleye mortality, Lillian appears to have had a significant die off with dead jumbo perch in the shallows, Kasota and Wakanda have a bunch of dead eyes showing up in creeks.  I'd be surprised if it isn't more wide spread than these lakes. 
    • PRO-V
      We were gathering sap yesterday and it was almost knee deep. Areas getting more sun have a foot. Getting through the ditch was hell.