• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

smurfy

not really a fishing report but ate fish and talked fishing. hope that counts!!!!:grin: ran into icehawk at a local pub last nite, good Friday, where they had there annual good Friday fish fry.

nice seeing ya icehawk , was a good time. not sure why, :cry: but he sure gave me a bad time, i wont mention however that he was instructed to by a couple of fellers named eyeguy and a guy he refered to as Tom.:crazy::grin: i enjoy these fries, haven't seen a lot of the people i ran into last nite in a while.

by the way guys icehawk gave up a lot of your secret spots!!!!!!!!:P:grin::whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

eyeguy 54

you gots to join us on the ice some time! 

IceHawk
Posted (edited)

Smurf it was fun running in to you last night fun time telling stories. We sure went through some fish always a great time.  Next year ill have to get some of the FM crew to come on up! Nice seeing the old gang again.:grin: Definitely have to go fishing with us some time we aren't that bad of guy's ;) 

Edited by IceHawk

smurfy

I hope to get out with you guys for sure. What time you guys start?? 10 am.?:D

Borch

Usually sometime between 6:30 - 9:30 am.  :D

Naturboy

I noticed that too. Very easy to drill holes through this ice, not the time to drive out that’s for sure. 

eyeguy 54

Hit a spot with Jeff and Chris this morning to look for some action. Lotta smalls were on the bite this morning. Wanted to check out the new fuel on the nills and it worked dandy. Had a nice bass fight that was fun. Might be a week till next time out for me. 

42a.jpg

• Like 2

smurfy

;) nice bigmouth. BUT........ someone told me........he told his wife............he was puttin ice rods away!!!!!!:crazy::P:grin:

eyeguy 54

maybe in may... ;)

• Haha 1

IceHawk

Thanks Jeff and Royce for a fun day on the ice :)  We definitely didn't have a problem iceing fish. Action Jackson kind of day.  Have to agree with Royce I tried his auger setup and i am very impressed!

• Like 1

Borch

That Nils "6 with the fuel is a nice set up.  Not sure where the nicer gills went but I swear they promised they would be there next time when I let them go last weekend.  Liars!

Still fun bsing and listening to all the nature. 

• Like 1

eyeguy 54

Gotta love this time of the year with all the sounds in the air.  Saw a buncha Toms on the way back feeding by a road I took. 

Horseshoe_Don

So when I go ICE fishing on may 12th the Walleye should be biting again right?

Don

• Haha 1

mrpike1973

I'm with you Don! Wow I thought I would be on the Chain already. At this point may be my best and everyone else's bet at least water is moving through there.

Mike89
15 hours ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

So when I go ICE fishing on may 12th the Walleye should be biting again right?

Don

at least you can use 2 lines ice fishing!!!!:crazy:

• Like 1

Rick G

Well, its now April 17th.... where the hell is spring??? I met up with eyeguy for a few minutes on one of our area lakes.  He was just packing up when I arrived. The report was lots of smalls, but good ones were starting to turn on. 

I found much the same as Royce had said...lots of smalls. I knew there were good fish in the lake, we have gotten them here before. So I broke out the drill and started to search. I went the obvious direction first, shallow... drilled deep into a cabbage bed... nada thing there. Drilled out some bullrushes, nothing there yet either. So deeper I went, got a series popped right on the edge of the basin,  16-20ft of water. Bingo, this is where the bigger fish had gone:D it took a ton of moving to stay on the nicer fish today. They were cruising the break in small pods and moving fast, while the smaller fish opted to pretty much stay in the same area.

Best bait was a 4mm J and S custom gold disco ball head  with a  purple Impulse mayfly.  The little larger head was needed to get my bait back down as quick as possible. I tried a few other baits today, but kept coming back to the gold/purple combo.

I measured 24-26inches of ice yet. The top couple inches are soft, but the rest is still rock hard. Some North facing shorelines and access points are starting to show a little effects from the sun and run off. At this rate we should still have fishable ice well into next week localy.

20180417_185958.jpg

20180417_200121.jpg

• Like 3

Tom Sawyer

Nice ones! Must of been that lucky hat.....:lol:

Rick G
16 minutes ago, Tom Sawyer said:

Nice ones! Must of been that lucky hat.....:lol:

You know it was;)

monstermoose78

Nice fishes Rick!

Great report as well!!!

eyeguy 54

Fun day today with Rick and Joe. The 9 plus inchers were very playful today. Few crappies around but nothing big. Tried new jigs and combos for fun, Purple mayfly did a little better today than the pink slug bug. Back at it in the morning. Grillin time! gonna be nice out there. :) 

418a.jpg

418b.jpg

418c.jpg

418d.jpg

418e.jpg

418f.jpg

• Like 2

smurfy

you guys stink!!!!!!!!!:huh::Grrrrr::grin::grin: nice fish fellas!!!!!!

• Haha 1

monstermoose78

Nice jigs!! And those 2 mm are tiny 

eyeguy 54

I dont have any 2 mm. can barely see the 3mm!  LOL 

monstermoose78

I ordered some and they showed up today. I got mostly 3 mm and 4 2 mm

• Like 1

smurfy

Just outta curiosity you fellers still driving out?!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye fishing has been great using bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Anglers are being selective to fill limits with 16-18” fish as well as a few over 28 released. Most success has been in the mud, off of structure in 21-23 feet and 26-30 feet. The largest fish seem to come from South of Garden Island on crank-baits.

Canadian walleye are also most effectively targeted with bottom bouncers and spinners. Depth has not been as important as being at the bottom of a break line in the flat. Gold with chartreuse has been best as of late.  Musky activity has slowed from the prior weeks but expect it to ramp up with the full moon approaching. Perch have been schooled up on and around reefs topping out around 30 feet.

Water temps remain consistently in the low to mid 70’s. 

Remember - fall is the time for trophy fish up at the NW Angle!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, spinners and crawler harnesses are still the preferred method of walleye fishing, with the hot colors being pink/gold, orange/gold and orange/chartreuse. Walleye are being caught off of structure scattered in the mud between 20 and 30 feet. Down riggers and deep running crank baits have also been productive.

Canadian walleye are being caught in channels off of islands and along reefs in 18 to 25 feet of water. Both bottom bouncers with a crawler harness and a jig with minnow or shiner have both been successful in Canadian waters.

Musky fishing success has increased in the past week. Fish are being caught on crank baits and blade baits. With water temps in the low 70’s muskies are favoring rocks near weeds. 

Our very own, Travis Palmquist, released a 54.5" musky yesterday!

Fall is a great time for trophy fishing!

We hope to see you soon,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye are still scattered through out the main lake basin. Night crawlers on a spinner remains most effective.  Make drifts/passes parallel but off of structure including islands and reef break lines in 24-30 feet.  Hot colors have been gold/pink, gold/orange or hammered gold.  Deep running crank baits are another good option, often producing bigger fish and large northern pike. 

On the Canadian side of the lake, fish can be schooled on humps and reefs.  Once located, fish these areas with a jig and minnow or shiner.  Pulling spinners in 25-30 feet of water is most productive in covering ground to locate feeding and roaming walleye.  Muskie action continues to improve through out the week.  Multiple big fish were caught on Sunday with many others boated as well as, a lot of lookers.  As activity levels rise, blade baits have been triggering positive reactions. Water temperatures remain consistent in the low 70's. 

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Water temps are consitently in the mid to high 70’s.
      Walleye in Minnesota can be caught on reefs with a jig and minnow. More productive methods currently are bottom bouncers and crank-baits in 24-28 feet of water.  Covering a lot of ground is key when the fish arent schooled together.  We have had many 40”+ Pike caught while trolling, reports of large Muskie also.
      Candian walleye are spread out as well, making bottom bouncing and deep cranks the ticket to success. Fish mud bottomed areas deeper than 25ft for best results. Many nice jumbo perch limits have been coming in recently. They are biting on a jig and fathead and are concentrated at 28-30ft.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are starting in the low 70’s in the morning, reaching mid to upper 70’s in the evening.

Minnesota walleye action can be hot running deep diving crank-baits straight, down rigging or lead core. Soft bottom areas can also be worked with spinners and a night crawler.  Fish have been favoring gold on bright days and orange, chartreus or pink in low light.  Many larger northern pike this last week in the boat via crank-baits just outside of rock reefs and points.

Canadian walleye fishing has been more productive away from reefs and points in soft bottomed areas. The best method is to pull a spinner to find concentrations along the bottom and switch to jigging to fill out limits.

Musky attitude in Canada varies day to day. Plenty of fish are still being caught in shallow weeds including a couple of 50+ giants this past week.  Fish are also being caught in more traditional mid-summer spots such as rock reefs and points.  The most productive baits this week were crane baits or other flat baits, buck tails and top waters. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

In Minnesota, walleyes and pike have been found using crank-baits on the south side of Oak Island.  Walleye have also been caught pulling spinners in 26-30 feet using gold and green.

In Ontario, walleye have been very active using pink and orange jigs on the breaks of reefs or casting shallow crank-baits in 8-12 feet by rocky shoreline points.  A good mixed bag of smallmouth and pike have been found with the walleye as well.

Musky fishing has really picked up with lots of fish over 40+ inches.  Fishing sand and weedy bays near rock reefs have produced well using buck-tails, small crank-baits and top-water baits. 

Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are currently hovering in the mid 70’s.

Minnesota walleye action has been really good with bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Gold spinners with hints of chartreuse, orange or just hammered gold are favored.  Walleye and occasional large pike can be had trolling deep diving crank baits around shoreline breaks and reefs.

Canadian walleye fishing continues to excite anglers via jigs and minnows. Pink or white jigs tipped with shiners will put fish in the boat.  Night crawlers on spinners will produce fish in the mud deeper than 25 feet. 

Musky action has been all over the place, fish are still being found in sandy, weedy bays, rock points and reefs.  The nearing new moon should have fish on the prowl this week. 

Congratulations to our neighbor and local guide, Forrest Huset and his dad Sean on their victory at the Lake of the Woods Musky Bowl this weekend!

Another neighbor, Jerry Klema, landed a 29 1/2 inch trophy walleye last week!

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!
      In Minnesota, walleye have been found using green, gold and orange spinners in 24-30 ft.  Jigging in the morning on tops of the reef has been the most productive.
      In Ontario, walleye fishing has been very good jigging on top of reefs as well, with gold and orange being the hot colors.  Musky fishing has been heating up as muskies are moving to the reefs and windblown points.  Multiple muskies have been caught over 50 inches within the last week.
      Happy Independence Day!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

In Minnesota, Walleye fishing has been good in 18-28ft pulling hammered gold and orange lindy rigs.  Jigging has also been very productive on top of the reefs before the Walleye move out deeper onto the flats.  Key areas have been Dawson Island, Little Oak and Shady Island.

In Ontario, Walleye have been found deeper in 22-30ft.  A gold or chartreuse jig with a fathead or frozen shiner have been producing well around Deepwater bay, West side of Falcon and Gardner Island.  Many fish over 24 inches including a few Northern Pike and Muskie.  

Good luck and keep your lines wet!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello, from Sunset Lodge!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. In Minnesota, high winds limited fishing areas but many of our guests were able to find the walleyes stacked up on the humps pulling spinners.  Gold and green crawler harnesses are working the best.

In Canada, working a slower presentation such as a lift and drag technique has been most effective.  Limits of walleye are being caught using gold and chartreus colors in 18-22 ft.  Key areas have been Deepwater Bay, Monkey Rocks and the west side of Falcon Island.  Smallmouth fishing has been heating up as well, using a jig and plastic on the rocks. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
      They haven’t even gotten to eclipse plumage yet.  I haven’t seen enough birds around here to compare but they seem pretty young!   Great pic though!
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      K-dub, I have been seeing a lot more bluegills of that size in Big Bay this year then ever before! Ran into a school of them last week and boated 17 gills that size one afternoon! Cliff
    • Finns
      Grand Lake Oklahoma with 23 other fellows!  22nd annual trip!  Kind of a get together.
    • Northlander
      If you can find a Gen 2 9" touch get it. I love mine.
    • Northlander
      Shimano Sedonas are work horses for the buck too.
    • Northlander
      Charge your battery after every use. Your not getting enough charging when not running big motor enough. Other option is to move up a size in battery if room. I have ran Interstates for years with no issues.
    • K-dub
      Today while running a spinner in Big Bay Walleye haunts. Released; would love to find more of these! 
    • Car7x
      Hi - this may not be the exact best spot for this, but

1). I flyfish, elk and deer hunt out of my simple, clean off grid cabin 11 m S of Ennis.
      Excellent elk, muley, whitetail, and pronghorn opportunities, E slope of Gravelly range. 2 m N of current Wigwam fire - no problem.I have more time than hunting partners and need solid, easy going buddies to hunt with, and or will time share swap with others for access to great hunting.

2) I have 230+ acres of outstanding pheasant, whitetail, waterfowl, and some turkey just E of Granite Falls MN. If you are local and have bear, deer, turkey, etc., opportunities, especially closer to the Metro, Let's Talk. This land is also for sale, I'm tightening up my footprint and want to build on my Bozeman lot on the Gallatin.

I am very interested in:
      - whitetail tree stand, including doe management opportunities (especially local for me in zone 610 MN) - gotta fill the freezer!
      - spot and stalk anything anywhere
      - turkey
      - winter southern or warm weather opportunities, including fly fishing..pigs?
    • monstermoose78
      Yeah geese and mallards were flying today
    • Fish Head
      I'll give the noise supressor a try Bob.  Both units were purchased at the same time.    yoppdk- I checked my unit and I don't see any such setting on the 998.  There is a low battery alarm setting, but that is already turned to off.