• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Ottertail-Battle Lake-Perham-Fergus Falls area Fishing Reports

Heading out to the east side of Ottertail tomorrow evening and possibly morning. If you see a little two-person Shappell with a shiny new Strikemaster Lazermag nearby, stop in and say hi! Might be a marron Ford F150 nearby, too, otherwise I hoofed it.

Good luck this weekend! Looking forward to some milder temps!

I have been fishing this last week, and been keeping 4-5 eyes a night. Has anyone else been having sucess in the last week, or is that ave. For a local lake.

Well, fished OT Saturday morning. Forgot the house (oops) so grandpa and I had to rough it, which wasn't bad considering it was close to 30. Anyway, set up on the same dropoff as two weeks ago. Had two tipups set, too: one shallow and one deep. Grandpa had a minnow on a slip bobber in 18 FOW and I was jiggin in 20 FOW. Nada. I marked two fish that came up to sniff, but that's all. Finally got a solid hit around 9:30, but had the drag set too light and it got off. Dang! Called it a morning shortly after. Looks like a lot of moving around going on. People definately are moving deeper or moving off.

For the afternoon, we hit a little local lake close to home and my wife landed a nice 3.5 lb. largemouth, a 2 lb largemouth and a 21" walleye. All in 10 FOW. Nothing for me or grandpa, but we had fun watching her fight those fish! The reel was screaming! All in all, great weekend with excellent weather!

Next up (as long as the weather holds) Lake of the Woods this weekend! Can't wait!

Was thinking of trying the south access on OT...never fished OT before but it seems to be the largest/closet body of water to fargo....anybody have any advice?

We went off the TH 78 access near OT city last night. Followed the road to a nearby hump. Set up in 20'. Fished until 6:30. caught a few small perch and small eyes. No keepers. Talked to a dude that caught a few out in 27-28 feet. Lots of lookers on the vex but they were not aggresively feeding.

Was thinking of trying the south access on OT...never fished OT before but it seems to be the largest/closet body of water to fargo....anybody have any advice?

Made kind of a loop around the lake this weekend. There are a lot less houses off the south access than there used to be. I think early and late in the year that spot is good for numbers (perch and walleyes) but not size. Now that winter finally has its hold, everything is deeper. I'd get yourself a map or go to the DNR lake finder site and check it out for structure. Honestly, I have no idea where to go on that lake, I can only guess based on where houses are set up and how the lake map looks. From what I gather, the majority of houses now are out deep, either sitting on sunken islands or other mid-lake structure. No matter where you are out there now, fishing is going to be a lot slower. Unless I hear some good reports from my sources, I'm staying off OT until March.

Good luck!

My brother-in-law and I were out there on Monday on the east side of the lake in 10-18' of water. Nothing but tiny perch, one 16" eye. Saw several eyes on the camera but were not active at all. I heard people are heading further west over by the rock piles or to deeper water.

Ended up fishing the south access near "the lodge" I think?....drilled some holes on a hump from 11-29 feet(prolly 100 or so feet from the houses close to the access) and fished the deeper side for several hours w/ only a perch biting, didn't mark any fish. About 1pm I drove a little further out and went inbetween two groupings of houses(prolly 400 feet or so from the closest house) and found 19' of water...was an odd feeling to be able to see the bottom through the ice holes! Watched fish and dodged the perch bites till I couldnt see bottom anymore and managed 3 walleyes and lost a lure to a huge northern...Made for a fun evening being able to see bottom and watch the perch scatter when an eye came in...and it was crazy watching that northern snag my line 'bout 10 feet down...quite a battle for 2 mins till be bit through my line...all in all I'm gonna go back and try again on that spot for a full day....

I'm thinking about heading up to OT this weekend, what does the lake look like on top? am i still ab;e to drive a truck on or will i need something else? Also, has anybody found any decent perch out there yet?

I'm thinking about heading up to OT this weekend, what does the lake look like on top? am i still ab;e to drive a truck on or will i need something else? Also, has anybody found any decent perch out there yet?

With all the rain and slush in the area, I'd imagine the going is going to be tough. If you don't hear anything from first-hand witnesses, I'd bring snowmobiles just in case.

4 wheel drive will probably get it done. We did not get much snow, mostly rain and sleet. It will be crunchy now when the temps drop.

We drove all over OT today w/ ease...snow was really soft, wet underneath...no problems getting around, however if the fish would just cooperate...

We drove all over OT today w/ ease...snow was really soft, wet underneath...no problems getting around, however if the fish would just cooperate...

I stand corrected! I guess we got it a lot worse than you did. Good to hear it didn't screw up the ice too bad!

I could really go for some nice size eating perch,crappies,walleye...........heck anything. I will be in the ottertail area this weekend, is there anything biting?

Originally Posted By: teach'n'fish

With all the rain and slush in the area, I'd imagine the going is going to be tough. If you don't hear anything from first-hand witnesses, I'd bring snowmobiles just in case.

I was out there today.....pickups are driving all over the lake.....with this cold snap most of the slush and water froze on top....I could go anywhere I wanted with my atv...and I am sure you could with a full size pickup.......the snow is so hard it would support a pickup.Good luck

And by the way...all i found out there was small perch...and they didn't seem to wanna bite very much. I was only in 20 fow....maybe deeper?

any info on south ten mile? drivability, bite, anything would be appreciated, driving a long way. been fishing around avon, but it all sucks, lol. ty in advance for any info.

40 feet really light bite.

Hey BlackDog which landing did you use and how was the driving conditions? Thanks.

Mav

Fished Ottertail from 7-4 today(Saturday) and found alot of hungry perch and 1 walleye...fished 18' of water...lake was driveable and the ice was thick, just no walters to speak of really...hopefully better luck next time...

I was on ottertail all day saturday anywhere from 10-60 fow and it was a struggle. There were fish down there, but nothing with any size. The driving was interesting at times, but it is doable, best to make your own way. There are not many houses out there either... West Battle has a good night eye bite right now and i wish i could have taken advantage of it!!

We went in on the North Access. The roads are pretty good, but you will need a 4x4.

No signs of flooding where we were at.

I didn't measure the ice, but it looked like 16" to 18".

By north, I assume you mean Riviera. A couple of weeks ago there were a number of trails going off in three directions. Were you able to use any of them or did you have to break your own trail.

Last time I was up there Mav the snow was so hard you could drive right on top of it....pretty much go anywhere you wanted either on a bumpy packed trail or going off in your own direction.....

Thanks, Dude. That is great news. I am coming up this weekend with some friends and it will be nice to get to some of my spots.

Might see ya out there, have to see how work turns out for the end of the week, but I usually go out either Saturday or Sunday....if you see a green eskimo quickfish 6 and a red shortbox chevy stop in and say hello....fmers always welcome!!