• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions

The brave were out on Prior on Saturday fishing on Paradise Bay and also on the bay near the 21 bridge. I saw kids out skating on the main lake as well on Sunday. Ice froze mainly clear after the snow so if weather stays as is it should set up nicely. Will try and drill a hole or two in the next day and post the ice depth.

All the lakes around here are getting close! 2"-5" depending where you are on each lake. most are walkable near shore. some are consistent for a ways out. I personally wouldn't trust the deeper holes yet, especially if traveling alone. I think some of them froze east to west this year for some reason, i'm used to seeing the last open water on the eastern side but this year we had an odd wind as they were freezing up from what iv seen (around here anyway).

the forecast is looking great for ice ill be checking a few local lakes this weekend and plan to hit the ice this weekend

Checked an Eagan lake this afternoon...4" of white ice. Where it was clear ice from being open before the snow, also 4" of ice. Amazing how much white ice comes up with a single smack of the ice spud. The clear ice barely cracked with the same hit. Good lesson for the son to observe.

4" of ice on main lake of Prior per my test hole out 50 yards from shore. Good clear ice. I will be out this week for sure and will post results.

Checked an Eagan lake this afternoon...4" of white ice. Where it was clear ice from being open before the snow, also 4" of ice. Amazing how much white ice comes up with a single smack of the ice spud. The clear ice barely cracked with the same hit. Good lesson for the son to observe.

What lake in Eagan? I am looking for ice info on either Fish and/or Holland.

Threw a few tip ups out with a buddy on Marion yesterday, solid 3-4" + of ice, managed a big crappie, largemouth and small pike. Pretty slow but fun to be back out.

Candy Cove on Prior had several fisherman on it and the north end of the lake as well. Saw a guy on a 6 wheeler driving on north end. Might be a little early for that but there is a solid 4 inches of ice.

Drove around Tonka this morning. Browns and the main lake had a bunch of open water this morning. Couldn't tell if Wayzata was completely solid.

I was on a certain bay on Tonka last night...~6 inches of ice everywhere we checked. 3-4inches good black ice, 2inches of white ice on top.

Crappie bite was hot!

I was on a certain bay on Tonka last night...~6 inches of ice everywhere we checked. 3-4inches good black ice, 2inches of white ice on top.

Crappie bite was hot!

well that narrows it down, people are looking for good ice reports, not "somewhere on tonkas 14500 acres you will find some ice" tonka is one of the worst lakes to freeze.

Anyone know which bays are safe to fish on Tonka for the weekend?

my mom lives on carmen if i have time ill go check it out

Where is the safest part of Independence to start fishing? Obviously that deep hole in the middle takes a long time to freeze over. How about the north or south bays? Any chance they are good to go?

Personally I wouldn't trust anyone telling me the ice is safe, either check it yourself with the proper safety equipment and / or with a buddy...

Any info on Battle Creek Lake?

I saw two guys out there last sunday. I don't know how good the ice is but the lake always seems to be one of the first to freeze

• The title was changed to Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions