• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions

Fished Medicine Lake last Friday and my nephew scores again with a #2 mepps - Unbelievable

We also caught numerous crappies. I just sit in the boat and cry about the Twins and he catches all the fish.

full-26183-2317-img_5529.jpg

Hit Tonka yesterday. Water temps in the 52-56 range. Talked to other fishermen who also noted the bite was slow. A couple guys told me the walleye bite was pretty decent at night. Threw mostly big baits yesterday. Had one follow and another hook up. Unfortunately, lost a 40+ while trying to net it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I also saw a 6 point buck swim across the lake. That one threw me for a loop.

i'd say this is a pretty normal time of year for docks to get pulled.... they really just dont want to have them out there when first ice forms... once it gets to a certain point in the fall, there is hardly anyone using them anymore except for the real diehards

I thought I remembered them being out the first weekend or two in November the past few years. For how easy they are to pull, I wish they'd keep em' out a few more weeks.

Yes having the docks in longer would be nice, but what lakes do we have docks in late, and which don't. Then if we end up with a winter blast from out of nowhere, then the dnr wastes time to save docks that, would have ok pulled out earlier. Maybe can all find a co-angler for launching, and a extra line.

Hey folks I could use some hints on where I could find some good crappies right now on Tonka. My friends boat I use is coming out sunday so saturday I want to put in a solid day to cap off a decent year. The boat is in Carson bay so if anyone has had luck with anything down around there I would love some help! Thanks!

11/6/10 Tonka Report

Water Temp: 48.5-48.9

Wind: 10-25 mph

Water Clarity: 3'

Presentations: 3" Gulp Minnow on 1/4oz jig, #7 Glass Shad Rap, #10 Glass Husky Jerk, #10 Deep Down Glass Husky Jerk, #8 Rattlin' Rap, and 4" Storm Swim Shad.

Fishing Report: Got out on the lake around 3pm and fished untill 6:30pm. I started out fishing the south side of Wayzata Bay. I worked the inside of the weedline with Rattin' Raps for about an hour and was able to pick up a few small Pike and a couple 16" Bass. I then made my way over by Breezy point and worked the point for about and hour I only managed one Smallmouth that went 13". I them moved over to weed/rock point that I've always done weel on. I trolled Glass Shad Raps just outside the weedline. On my first pass I picked up a 16" Walleye. On the next dozen passes I picked up three 14", and one 18" Walleye. By this time it was near sundown so I headed over to a channel. I trolled Glass Husky jerk-baits through the channel and over a nearby flat for awhile and only managed one 15" Walleye.

11/7/10 Medicine Lake Report

Water Temp: 46.6-46.8

Wind: 5-15

Water Clarity: 6-8'

Presentations: 3" Gulp Minnow on 1/4oz jig, 2" Lindy Darter, 1/2oz Northland Buck Shot Rattle Spoon, #5 Rattlin' Rap, 1/4oz Beetle Spin, 4" Storm Swim Shad, #6 Sinking Salmo Hornet, #7 Glass Shad Rap, #10 Deep Down Husky Jerk, #9 Countdown, and 3" Ripple Shad on 1/8oz jig.

Fishing Report: Got out on the lake around 1:30 and fished untill 5. For the hour or so I just bounced from spot to spot looking to see if any of my normal spots were holding fish. All but one of my spots were completely dead. The one spot that wasn't dead had quite a few Walleye's on it. I decided to fish this spot for awhile. I ended up throwing everything at them but only managed one 15" Walleye. I then moved shallow and fished a gravel flat that had some patchy weeds on it. I had good success throwing Rattin' Traps and Beetle Spins along the weeds. I picked up a dozen Bass (most were 14-15") and 5 Pike (25-28").

I made a little video of that Walleye spot:

that was a really cool video to watch MedicineMan! I really enjoyed it. I love seeing eyes on the underwater cameras... The white tips on their fins look so cool! Looks like there were a bunch of them holding in that spot. It's kind of hard to get a real good estimate on size on the camera when there is nothing for reference.

cool video medicine man. Looks like there was a lot of nice little walleye on that flat. Any idea what species of fish was at the 1:50 mark in the video? it kind of looks like some sort of a sucker to me.. redhourse?

11/7 Tonka report

Musky fishing

Launched at spring park bay, hit all the usual spots with 10" suicks/wades, threw a buck tail for awhile, trolled a break line with a triple D. didnt have a follow, didnt see any fish, i didnt even see any sunfish? it was dead out there kinda like when in the spring during the turn over when the lake is a dead sea.

jwmiller33, those Walleye's were 14-16". When you've used an underwater camera as long/much as I have you get a pretty good idead how big fish are.

Baitchaser, the fish at the 1:50 mark was a White Sucker.

that was a sweet video...too bad I've never cought or even seen anyone catch an eye on medicine.....I might have to ask for some pointers.....can I get a PM?

First-ever muskie in the boat for me, guys! My dad was visiting from Arkansas so we decided to brave the sleet and snow, and get one last pike attempt in. No pike, but just as things were looking grim I hooked into this guy. Only 33", but like I said, a first for me. I hooked into a 40+ incher in September but I couldn't get it in the boat by myself.

I also decided that ice fishing is much warmer!full-33993-3616-image00001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Can anybody help me locate a decent access to candy cove or one of the nearby bays? Are there more access drives around the lake similar to sportsmans? How about by the bridge, can a guy get access at the marina there?

only ones I really know of are one by excelsior...the yacht club on wayzata...public access on grays...sure there are more I don't know of

Can anybody help me locate a decent access to candy cove or one of the nearby bays? Are there more access drives around the lake similar to sportsmans? How about by the bridge, can a guy get access at the marina there?

You can walk on from the park across the bridge from the marina, otherwise the only other public accesses I know of on the lake are Sandpoint and Sportsmans. The rest of the lake is private, and it's nearly impossible to get to Candycove right now unless you know somebody that lives on it.

• The title was changed to Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions