• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions

MrCrappie it is illegal to fish for muskies right now, they don't open for another week yet. Pitching Senkos for bass before 12:01 tonight is also illegal.

Yes, I was talking about last year. I guess I should've been a little more specific. Should one have to include dates and times so no person can make assumptions or can we just assume everyone here is following the law unless they specifically state that they've broken them?

I get mine from Nine Mile creek near Hillcrest elementary school in Bloomington. I use a #1 or #2 Panther Martin.

Gray's Bay Dam for me tonight. Got two small bass, a keeper sized 25" northern, and missed a big pike/musky on a topwater. It hit my Zara Spook so hard it flew completely out of the water. When I tried setting the hook my lure flew back at me at about 200mph. Just missed me, whew!

Chasing Muskies this morning... two follows and one strike that wasn't converted - never saw the fish but if felt stout. All action was on the deep weed edge (15 fow or so). Small blades and jerkbaits seemed to be our ticket. Saw a few other guys getting little northerns with double tens. I thought they'd be a little more hot this morning, but then again maybe I just couldn't figure things out crazy.

fished tonka today for bass and muskie, but right from the get go i knew it was not to be. First I forgot my tackle box in my truck and did not remember until we got to our first spot, about a 15 min run from the truck. Then once I got the tackle box and we were heading back out I realized that a bottle of motor oil had come open and completely drained out in the bottom of the boat. Then later in the day the transducer for my depth finder came loose from the back of the boat and was promptly severed by the prop. To cap it off we only caught two bass all afternoon. I am almost always a believer that a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work...but I am not so sure about today.

On another note though, we noticed a TON of dead floating panfish that weren't there when we were out last week. Anyone know what causes that? Our only guess was winterkill rising to the surface as the lake turns over.

Columnaris is likely the reason for the fish you saw.

Very common actually.

Food for the muskies, northerns and bass. Guess they won't be too hungry for the next few days.

Is there a public launch at the yacht club on Wayzata Bay? I've used it for ice fishing, but not to put a boat in. If so, is it free or do they charge?

pretty sure you can launch there but parking is tough and it fills up fast. I always see trucks parked along the road but they may be yacht club members.

I'm planning to hit Wayzata or Grays this weekend. Is there a better place to put in?

Looking to do some Muskie Fishing this Fall on Tonka... anybody know what bay is your best bet?

• 2 weeks later...

found the bass the otherday shallow in the reeds weightless five inch worms or poppers worked best. most the fish caught were nice fish around 15 inches or up. it was cool to see them strike the surface lures.

Was out on Waconia last night and the eyes were really hanging on the breaklines and out deeper. From 7 to 9 pm we ended with a 16 1/4, 18, 19 and a 21.5 which for me is a good day on waconia. Also sunfish were hitting in a lot of our known spots. Not many eye fisherman out there but plenty of muskie and bass fisherman. Good luck to all this weekend.

Are there any decent shore fishing spots on waconia?
There is a fishing pier on the southwest side. You can fish fom shore on the southwest side too.

Are there any metro muskie lakes that won't be packed to the gills with PWCs and idiots this weekend?

Brought my father out on Tonka yesterday for his first muskie experience....really wish we would have chosen to stay home or go somewhere else. Absolute zoo. Almost was ran over by a cigarette boat filled with 8 people that had to be going 60mph. I think he saw us at the last second as it appeared he couldn't see over his bow. It's only a matter of time before people start getting seriously injured or killed out there. I REALLY wish people would be required to have some sort of test to be able to operate a watercraft. It amazes me more people don't get killed while boating.

As for fishing, a few lazy follows with nothing in the boat. Too busy dodging rec. boaters. I think I'll stick to the rivers for a while.

I'll be heading out to Prior tomorrow. I've never been there before. I'll probably be trying for eyes early and then maybe move to crappie or sunnies later in the morning. Any tips or spots anyone can recommend? Also, is the rec boating pretty busy on the weekends?

• The title was changed to Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions