• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River Pool 4 Fishing Reports Pool 5, 6, 7 , 8 & 9

Thanks fOr all the tips how's the slip drift work if u don't have electric motor can u idle with the big one down the river

Sure can, its just a little tougher for that precise speed. In yor case I would point the bow down stream and kick the motor in and out of reverse, somewhat of a backtroll. Like I said just stick to the edges of the crowd until you get the feel of how your boat reacts to the method and you'll do fine!

thanks now here is another question what is the best bait and jig size to use down there. And with me i have been in trouble with the law and cant leave the state so can i get in troouble fishing down there. so i would need a boat launch on the mn side of things.

thanks for all who has helped

If your worried about that, i would just launch from Bay point park right in red wing. Thats the closest to the dam on the MN side.

I almost always use 5/16 oz jigs. Easy to stay vertical and hug the bottom IMO. If the current is really moving ill go to 3/8 or even a 1/2 in rare cases. wont need to worry about that this year.

Some people will tell you to go with a lighter presentation, its just a matter of personal pref.

But i have had no trouble getting even small sauger to hit a bigger jig

I've been down there as early as 6 AM and they are open. Hope I'm not to late with this post.

Fished down there today, from 7 to 2pm. Really slow. Didn't see much caught either. I stayed clear of the dam ( to many boats) and fished all the way down to Point no Point. Not a lot of boats out there either, most be up at the Rainy. We boated a few, but they were small. I've heard there has been a good evening bite after 5pm. I just live to far away to wait till that late in the day. If you were down there today, let me know how you did.

We fished from 6:30 to 11:30. It was really slow for us also. No Walleye or Sauger. 1 Smallie, 3 white bass, and 3 sheep head. 4 people fishing. That wind was cold this morning!

Yesterday was definitly better than today. We boated 7 sauger for 3 guys from about 2:30 till dusk, Baypoint to Everts area. Today we fished from around 8 til 2:30 and only came up with 1 walleye and 1 sauger, Colville Landing to the dam and back. Heard the head of the lake was better today, trolling.

Is it too early to put in at Lake City. Have the walleyes and saugers migrated that far south? New to the river???

Im heading to the Friday and i have only been there one other time. When I went the last time the water was really high and we were vertical jigging and caught a couple. I was wondering if the vertical bite is on yet? Or are guys still trolling three way rigs?

With the three way should I be using raps or live bait riggs? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fished pool 4 a couple of days ago. Although numerous fished were marked during the late afternoon hours in the 12-20 fow, most fish were not active.

Numerous drifts were made over various depths amidst the crowds of boats along a few different areas that normally produce fish. A couple of the more recognized guides were on the water in these areas as well. However, I noticed that these guides as well as majority of these boats were not bringing in many fish with only a few small eaters being caught every once in a while.

It was time to leave the this area and hit a couple other spots which are typically not fished. With the combination of 25+ boats on one area, the fish not very aggressive and the amount of pressure in one small area, trying a new spot might be the key.

We tried a couple different transitions areas and did mark fish which was a bit more aggressive. It could have been that the time of day the fish were either beginning to feed once again, or was it that just leaving a concentrated area of fisherman, boats, congestion and pressure was the way to go? I believe the latter was the key. Sometimes an area that traditionally produces fish is hit so hard that people just sit in once spot and wash their plastic...the 'ol 'misery likes company' method of fishing. Getting out and getting away from the crowd can produce more fish some days.

The afternoon was still rather slow, but we worked our areas and just picked up eaters as we awaited nightfall. Once nighttime came, the bite only got better. The later it got, the better the fishing as more sauger and walleye moved into the 6 fow or less. This night, a heavier jig/plastic combination worked more aggressively was the ticket.

I am heading down to Evert's on Sat and this will be my first time fishing the river. Looking forward to it and I have been reading everyone's posts. Can't wait to get there and pick the minds of the people at Evert's to see where to go and what to use to fish. My only worry is I am new at the river and want to ensure that I do it right. Does or would a drift sock help out a newbie? or just do what you guys said, steer clear, with bow down river and use the motor to slow myself down to get a good vertical jig going. Anymore advice would be appreciated.

Welcome Chuck,

I would guess the drift sock would catch the current and move you too fast. If your trolling motor is in the back you have the right idea. If it is a bowmount point the bow up river. Give it a little speed either way just enough to slow you down a little. Ideal speed to be floating down river is just a little bit slower than the current but fast enough to stay as vertical as possible. It takes practice! Good Luck out there.

Newbie,

Thanks for the reply..I just re-read your post, so point the bow up river and float down backwards right..LOL...god I am new at this.. And I should keep my main motor on as well just to have that as well. Practice will be my main thing on Sat....

What is the rule of thumb for color selection for evening/night fishing for walleyes and saugers? A buddy and I are heading out sometime this week just curious as to what the color selection should be?

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

The upper end of pool 4 (Point-no-point up to the Dam) ranged from 49 to 53 degrees over the weekend.

The upper end of pool 4 (Point-no-point up to the Dam) ranged from 49 to 53 degrees over the weekend.

But are the fish biting? I have heard that the walleyes make a good run up the river Oct-Nov before settling into the winter mode in the deep pockets. Any truth to that?

But are the fish biting? I have heard that the walleyes make a good run up the river Oct-Nov before settling into the winter mode in the deep pockets. Any truth to that?

Not seeing many Walleyes on the River yet but the Saugers are showing up in their usual locations in increasing numbers. Was out Tuesday afternoon and there were many boats on the "Sauger holes". Most of the fish being caught were in the 10-13" range. If you are using live bait bring extra because the small Saugers will make you go through a lot. If you are looking to catch Walleyes or larger Saugers I would advise to stay clear of the places where they are playing bumper-boats.

• 3 months later...

Went out 5:30-6:15 tonight and caught a fat 19.5" walleye on the river around Winona tonight. It smacked a rattle rap jigged a foot off of the bottom.

Went out 5:30-6:15 tonight and caught a fat 19.5" walleye on the river around Winona tonight. It smacked a rattle rap jigged a foot off of the bottom.

Well done! cool

I haven't tried jigging a lipless crankbait for walleye much yet, although it sounds like a good tactic--I learned long ago that walleye don't always want slow, quiet, dainty presentations.

I'm still looking for my first walleye or sauger through the ice for the winter. I can't blame it all on living in southern Iowa, as in 2011 I caught over one hundred walleye and saugeye through the ice less than twenty miles from the University of Iowa in a couple week's time.

Went out for a few hours w Thursday. The walleyes and saugers were cooperating pretty good for our boat. We fished in depths in rages from 10 to 27 foot. With the warmer temps it was a great time to go hit the open water. Spring time is right around the corner. Or should I say the big walleye run. Looking forward to the piggies to start showing up soon.....plenty of males to sort through at the moment..

Good luck out there guys and gals !!!!!

Good to hear!

Taking the boat out tomorrow for her maiden voyage (with me) down there.

If your out and see a white and red Warrior tiller, stop by and say Hi smile

If it looks like we don't know what we are doing, it's because we don't wink LOL

If it looks like we don't know what we are doing, it's because we don't wink LOL

my advice- Use a big jig- hit em in the head with it

What is the best presentation this time of year? Jig/Minnow, Ringworm, or Blade bait? I'm sure I would try all 3, but as a whole, what is the go to this early in the season?

We slayed the fish yesterday with a jig and minnow laugh

Use the lightest you can get by with. 3/8th ounce Fireballs in bright colors was best yesterday.

It was my first time fishing out of Evert's. We caught A LOT of fish. No big girls yet, but it won't be long.

I'm hooked for life!