• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
CuppedAndComitted

Please help me decide....

CuppedAndComitted

Me and 3 buddy's want to come up for a weekend of fishing but I only have experience with "Reel Adventures" fishing service. We are thinking of staying in sleepers, even though there isnt really a nite bite(it will be nice to be ready right at sunrise).

What date should I look at going and what place would you recommend for clean sleepers and willing to put you on the fish? Also, It would be nice to save a buck or 2....

Thank you for any help!

Matt

bturck

Its tough to predict a time frame that is going to be right on. I was there right after Xmas which has always been good for us the past 10 years and it was very slow. I'm headed back in a week and that time frame has also been good. Last week of March is also a good time, and we have had great fishing for many years. The major changes and swings in the weather patterns as we've been having can make predicting a real [PoorWordUsage] shoot.

Riverbend, where we have gone over all of these years has some really nice sleepers. They move them as much as needed trying to stay with the bite. I've never stayed in one as we prefer the cabins and lodge on shore, but I did stop and take a peek into one that was empty and they were very nice. Someone posted pictures of them about 2 weeks ago on this thread. You could give them a call, their toll free number is at the top of this page on their sponsor link. Good luck with your choice and hang on. Bill

Iowabrewcrew

Hey, as always I'm recommending Bob's Ice Fishing. He's real reasonable price-wise and always does a nice job putting you on the fish! (That's the main thing) Info. and number at www.bobsicefishing.com

As for a time-I'd get there as soon as you can get everyone up there!

srj

Matt, I think I bought a jon boat from you a while back. Email me at [email protected] for some suggestions.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Agronomist_at_IA
      Well......The issue is that the biologists, scientists, and others have looked at the compiled data regardless if the data is good or bad, and have no consensus on what is really wrong or going on or how to fix. So out of confusion and not understanding on what's going on they've taken a course of action which doesn't seem to be working. Leaving a bunch of large walleyes in a lake with low forage doesn't work to well. If young recruitment of walleye isn't happening, maybe they should look at trying something else.....  
    • Wanderer
      I bet that success rate goes up this weekend if the rain doesn’t get too crazy.   It should be 10% + Anyfish’s buck at least. 😉   At least you can have someone around to help you drag it out.
    • ANYFISH2
      74 deer harvested, 5 or 6 bucks topping 200 pounds.  Right around 10 % success rate.   Info per area wildlife manager.
    • Wanderer
      This is what I heard from someone who hunted:   The 200 lb mark was broken by at least one buck.   Deer sightings were OK.   Bears, bears, bears... gorging on acorns.   About 700 hunters participated.   Success rate unknown.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has announced that regional wildlife manager Cynthia Osmundson will become the supervisor of the agency’s Nongame Wildlife Program, effective next month. Osmundson will replace the recently retired Carrol Henderson.  “Minnesotans have been strong supporters of the state’s nongame program, and it’s my desire to build on that success and continue to connect people with wildlife,” Osmundson said. The donor-supported DNR Nongame Wildlife Program works to help more than 700 species of Minnesota wildlife thrive. Nongame wildlife are species that are not legally hunted, with a focus on species that are rare, declining or vulnerable to decline. Minnesota’s Wildlife Action Plan is an important guide for this work. This partnership-based, 10-year conservation plan is designed to ensure the long-term health and viability of Minnesota’s wildlife and to enhance opportunities for people to enjoy it. “We are so fortunate to inherit the strong foundation Carrol Henderson and his team of wildlife professionals have built over the years,” Osmundson said. Osmundson most recently served as regional wildlife manager in the DNR’s Central Region, where she and her team focused on key priorities affecting the 50,000 acres of wildlife habitat in 23 counties including the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area, and outreach to diverse communities. Before that, Osmundson was the statewide forest habitat coordinator in the DNR Wildlife Section. She has also worked as a planner for the Minnesota Forest Resources Council and as an assistant refuge manager in Montana and Wisconsin with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Born and raised in Minnesota, Osmundson earned her bachelor’s degree in zoology from the University of Montana and a master’s degree in wildlife biology from the University of Wyoming. While there, she had opportunities to trap and tag grizzly bears, as well as raft the Colorado River in search of endangered fish and peregrine falcons. More information about the DNR Nongame Wildlife Program can be found at mndnr.gov/nongame. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      A 43 1/2 inch pike caught by a member of the Women Anglers of Minnesota on Mille Lacs Lake sets the first northern pike state record in the Department of Natural Resources’ catch-and-release category.  Angler Maddy Ogg caught and released the huge pike Oct. 6 during what she described as a cold and windy day of fishing. She and companions Mike Buckingham and Jenni Buckingham got an early start that morning, soon landing two fish at the same time. “On the way to the lake that morning, we saw eight bald eagles and shortly after we started fishing, we landed a double – I knew it was going to be a good day of fishing,” Ogg said. Five hours later, while trolling the edges of plants in 12 feet of water, Maddy had a strike that bent her rod hard. Even though most record-fish stories include a long dramatic battle between fish and angler, fortune was going their way. “I had to reel fast because the fish swam towards the boat, causing nearly constant slack in the line,” Ogg said. She landed the pike and now claims the first Minnesota catch-and-release state record for the species. While pike can often be lively once in a boat, in this case the cool temperatures and calm behavior of Maddy’s pike made for an outstanding catch-and-release scenario. While the 43 1/2 inch pike may have set the record, it likely will not be the only trophy pike pulled from the big lake. Mille Lacs has a growing reputation as a trophy pike fishery, with some fish reaching the mid- to high -40 inch and range and exceeding 20 pounds. There are two kinds of Minnesota state records: one for catching and keeping the biggest fish in each species based on certified weight; and the other for the length of a caught and released muskellunge, northern pike, lake sturgeon or flathead catfish. The DNR announces new state records in news releases, on social media and on the DNR website. Find current records and guidelines for each type of state record at mndnr.gov/recordfish. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Hunters in central, north-central and southeast Minnesota need to bring their harvested deer to be tested for chronic wasting disease on opening weekend of firearms deer season Saturday, Nov. 3, and Sunday, Nov. 4.  The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is requiring the testing to determine whether CWD may have spread from captive deer to wild deer in central and north-central Minnesota. The DNR also will require hunters to have their deer tested in much of southeastern Minnesota Nov. 3-4 as well as Saturday, Nov. 17, and Sunday, Nov. 18, because of its proximity to 18 known instances of CWD in wild deer centered around Preston, and to determine if the disease has spread from captive deer to wild deer in Winona County. The mandatory sampling requirements mean that after field dressing their deer, all hunters in affected permit areas need to take them to a sampling station. DNR staff will remove lymph nodes, and the DNR will submit them for laboratory testing. Hunters should check mndnr.gov/cwd to find the permit areas where sampling is required. “Hunters help combat CWD spread by submitting samples for our surveillance program,” said Lou Cornicelli, wildlife research manager. “Thank you to hunters as we work to help safeguard the health of Minnesota’s deer populations.” Hunters must register their deer by phone, internet or in person. The DNR will not make harvest registration available at CWD sampling stations. The DNR website will have test results available at mndnr.gov/cwdcheck; hunters can enter the nine-digit MDNR number from the deer’s site tag into the search box. The page will then display the results of the test. If the result reads “Pending,” the final results are not yet available. The DNR reminds hunters who harvest deer in area 603, the disease management zone, that carcass movement restrictions remain in place. Deer cannot be removed from the area until a not detected test result is received. Area 603 hunters must take their deer to one of three sampling stations: Forestville State Park, Strongwell in Chatfield, or Preston. The DNR will provide space in a refrigerated trailer at its Preston forestry office for area 603 hunters who need to store their deer while waiting for test results. A quartering tent and hanging racks also are available to hunters who choose to properly quarter or de-bone the meat so it is free of brain and spinal column material, which allows the meat or quarters to be immediately moved out of the area. Hunters not in a mandatory testing area can collect their own lymph node sample and submit it for testing to the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory at the University of Minnesota for a fee. The DNR has made a video showing how to collect a lymph node sample available at mndnr.gov/cwd/videos.html. The DNR website at mndnr.gov/cwd contains complete information about mandatory CWD testing, a video explaining the process, an interactive map showing sampling station locations and a related precautionary feeding ban. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will restrict recreational use of off-highway vehicles (OHVs) in some areas during the upcoming firearms deer hunting season. Vehicles affected by the restrictions include all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), off-highway motorcycles (OHMs) and registered off-road vehicles (ORVs) such as four-wheel drive trucks that are not being used in conjunction with deer hunting by a licensed deer hunter.  The restrictions, which apply to state forest trails and access routes but not to state forest roads, aim to protect recreational riders from potentially unsafe riding conditions and minimize conflicts between deer hunters and recreational riders who may inadvertently disturb them. Licensed deer hunters may still use these routes in conjunction with their hunting activity: Before legal shooting time. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. After legal shooting hours. Effective dates of the recreational riding restrictions will be: Nov. 3 – 18 for the northeastern Minnesota 100 Series deer season. Nov. 3 – 11 for the Minnesota 200 Series deer season. Because recreational OHV trails located in southeastern Minnesota close Nov. 1 each year, no additional OHV riding restrictions are necessary in that part of the state. While many have voluntarily opted not to ride forest trails during deer hunting and small-game seasons, recreational State Forest use has become a year-round activity for many. DNR officials remind everyone who visits Minnesota’s state forests this fall to put safety first. For more information, see the 2018 deer season map or contact the DNR Information Center at [email protected] or 651-296-6157 or 888-646-6367 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday). Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Walleyehunter82
      Coming up Thursday evening staying at Adrian's for the weekend.  We plan on fishing out in the gap or maybe the river some.  Anybody fishing out there this weekend?  Depths? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 
    • going4it
      Any results from the Thursday Friday hunt?