• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Since I know WWG is on the road today, I will share this …..

“They (Union Pacific) plan to

consummate the abandonment of the Line and after that demolish it. In order

to consummate the abandonment they have to meet the conditions imposed by the

STB as stated on their April 1, 2008 document. Depending on how this work is

done it likely will not require a Corps' of Engineers permit.”

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• pureinsanity

• wastewaterguru

• ec30_06

Since they can't get any barges up there it may be fun to watch.

It is hard to imagine how they are going to get all of that timber out of there. There is too much to leave for structure.

tweed

Are they going to be responsible for clearing out the logs too, or just the bridge? From what I have seen the logs are really jammed and might not move much on their own.

I think the smart and responsible thing for them to do is to put a crane and a couple cars on the bridge and pick the logs out of the river and load them on the cars. Then demo the bridge. But is the bridge still strong enough? Ive never been down there so someone tell me if my idea is way off! Ha ha.

Without a doubt, they will have to clean out some of the logs before doing any demo work. Actually clearing out a select few will get things moving right along. Whatever they decide to do, I’m sure it isn’t going to be anytime soon. There will have to be some red tape to get through I’m sure, not to mention that the Historical Society will want some involvement (more than likely).

After being under that bridge and seeing the way that thing is leaning. It should be an interesting sight ( not to mention scary )to have a crane on there. One of the pilings at the base is so bad that you can see inside of it, not good.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest and greatest:

The Army Corp of Engineers has formally requested a timeline for the bridge to be removed by UP and furthermore reminded them that they will need the necessary permits if dredging is needed and that debris will not be allowed to float downstream, as this poses a public safety risk.

UP responded by saying that they will need to comply by set guidelines and their timeline is dependent upon this. (1) is notifying all the necessary govt agencies that need to be involved and (2) That they consult the SHPO (Minnesota Historical Society State Historic Preservation Officer) regarding the eligibility of the bridge to be listed on the register.

They don’t feel that this bridge will quality for the historical register, but need to follow these guidelines. After consummation of the bridge they intend to demolish it “as soon as practical”.

Don’t hold your breath, it could be a while before any action is taken.

I think the historical significance thing is a total distraction. How many historical sites worth preserving are interfering with ecological processes? It's not a historical site in its own right anyways.

Thanks for the update dtro.

• 1 month later...

I think the historical significance thing is a total distraction. How many historical sites worth preserving are interfering with ecological processes? It's not a historical site in its own right anyways.

Thanks for the update dtro.

I think the Minnesota Historical Society is just a formality, but I would not say it is the UP causing this formality. I would think this is SOP in anything like this. I know around my neck of the woods if you gain permits to tear down an existing farm house built so far back, the Minnesota Historical Society has some involvement, whether the owner, contractor or who ever wants them to be.

The downside would be if they found some historical significance to the bridge or around the bridge. This could involve an archeological dig or examination. Then god forbid they find anything further cause it will have to be removed properly. This has come up on several ocations over the years in Elk River. Indian burial sites to pioneer settler stopping points have been found on construction sites.

Good going guys! I would love to be their when this bridge does come down or at least watch them working. smile

I would love to be their when this bridge does come down or at least watch them working. smile

Dont forget your equipment Shack! maybe you can lend a hand wink

Turkeysthedogsbackyardaftertreeswhe.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Huh. Just caught wind of this. That bridge/logjam has scared the poor word usage out of me several times. One of the scariest was when a train actually crossed it. Up to that point I had no idea that this thing could possibly still be in use with its downcurrent lean. The guys on the train were probably in worse shape than I was though.

It should be interesting to see what removing it does to the structure there. I always thought that hole should be better than I've found it to be. Caught fish there including my biggest flat to date but not like I'd expect.

I definitely won't miss navigating the boat-trap underneath it.

Darren,

Who is in charge of this project? City of Carver or some

branch of the DNR?

I was talking to the head guy at West Metro Fisheries and

he didn't know a thing about the river being blocked and the

rest of the commotion.

Now he knows.

Any guesses if this can get resolved by this fall?

tweed

It’s a combination of the Carver Parks and Rec, The City of Carver, USCG, and Union Pacific.

Not sure if the MNDNR has been involved much at all.

The Carver Parks Director, (Mark Themig) has been the main source of contact and info.

It will be a slow process, but with all the snow we have, a high water spring will make things interesting, and I bet this project gets put on the fast track. I would say there is a high probability that this bridge is involved in a few news stories come April/May.

I am thinking if we get the high water I think we will be getting, that bridge will atleast be leaning, if not pushed down. I cant believe it has made it this long.

Honestly that bridge has looked the same to me for the last 4-5 years..... I would be very surprised to see it topple over.

I'm not saying that it can't happen if we get a dinger of a wash out with ice and debris... but that thing is going no where with out some major influence.

I

I agree LFC. It has stood that way for quite some time. It looks bad but I would guess its still pretty well planted.

It could go if Shackbash is on the river in numerous locations cutting out log jams upstream.

I was wlking across that bridge in high school to bow hunt 20 or so years ago it was sketchy at best back then. I am sure the pilons are deep and still rock solid being its anchored in the bed rock.

You may be right, I have only seen it a few times. It just looks as though a good current pushing that pile of logs up against it up high in the current, would have some massive force, on an old structure. But I am sure it was built to stand upright in fast current.

If it ever did tip over what a mess of twisted steel and wood it would create! wouldnt even want to try and navigate thru that mess.

Yep, what people need to remember is that the log jams were routinely cleaned up when the rail was in service.

We haven't had a major flood since that happened.

That is why I suspect some issues this year. Not because the bridge is in bad shape, but because of all that wood back there.

I havent been up close and personal with the bridge and I have just seen some great photos of it and the debris around it but I would think that it will become a real monster ice jam or one waiting to happen and the power of that ice and river will do some relly crazy stuff to that trestle

I've fished that stretch of river for over 10 years and unless something major has shifted in the bridge in the last two summers I doubt it's going to fall by itself..

That thing has had a really scary lean to it for the entire time period I've fished there. Granted I haven't been out there for two years (in no small part due to the closing of the park during certain times) but even when it was in use it leaned waaaay downriver. Considering how much current is constantly pushing against it -- especially with the annual wash of trees -- and considering how deep the hole is around it, I can't see it going over unless it's blasted.

originally built in the late 1800's and new supports added in 1917. This thing has survived through some very high water but recent scour has exposed the piles under the south supports. I just dont think it can take too many more floods but I doubt it will come down on its own for a few years yet.