• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just a heads up for anyone that fishes this area. A rather large (ok VERY large) log has now spanned one of the last two remaining passages. It is a little hairy navigating through there, especially downstream.

Be careful out there, I'd hate to hear bad news frown

It's still doable, just a white knuckle ride.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• pureinsanity

• wastewaterguru

• ec30_06

Water is now expected to rise another 5 feet between now and next Thursday. Even more with any additional rain. Things can change quickly with the rapidly rising water......hopefully that log goes bye-bye.

I think it might have something to do with an area of your lower extremities "puckering" up in a nervous situation.

confused

hay guys, i usually fish the crow up by buffalo because its close to home. when i do actually make it out fishing i will bring along a small chainsaw for just such an occasion. that way you can keep fishing new water instead of going home.

I think cutting things loose from the tresle would be dangerous. There is wicked fast current there, and more than you planned could let loose.

We where running that stretch of river last night and what a ride. It beets anything Valley Fair has to offer, because death is a big factor.

The only passable opening was on the west side. Going upstream, I was using the big motor and it was funny how you have the motor going full throttle, but the boat is not going that fast because of the really fast current. Going down stream, I decided from my other river experiences to power up the big motor and use the front trolling motor. Also threw on the life jackets wink. We made it! It turned out to be the only "high fives" of the night.

I would say the biggest issue would be, being up stream or down stream of the bridge and going back the way you came, only to find out there is no passage at all. Plus going down stream, about the time you find this small passage is closed, you will be pushed into the logs and sucked under the water. What made me think of this, was the river all night was pretty free and clear of debris. Around 1:00am or so, we got inundated by logs, sticks and branch's up stream of the bridge a ways. I am talking a good miles and half stretch of logs. Something must of let go up stream, so we raced down and made it threw before the little window closed for the night wink Plus we went threw in the only major down pour of the night shocked A double plus, the opening had gotten smaller. You would think the current we be strong enough to keep it clear. Under the right situation, the river will do what it wants.

Basically as of yesterday, the whole MN river is flowing threw a 20-30’ opening. First time I have run raging white rapids in my boat.

Interesting that you figured you'd be better off with the electric motor. In my experience, electric trolling motors don't have enough power to get you out of any tough bind in a hurry if you need to. I'm glad everything worked for you, but I think if I run that chute, I will be doing so with as much power as I have available, even if I don't need it all.

Ya Brian, I just know my boat wink!

You would have to know my boat to know what I am talking about. I can (even in strong current) swing on a dime with that trolling motor.

Due to the tight turn involved, limited quick mobility of my big motor (115hp), dark and rain, the narrow passage, it was something I was thinking about for awhile. I figured (my boat is shallow), if I got pushed up against that snag to the west, the last thing I would want down is the lower unit. Just came in straight at and hugged the snag to the east (going down stream) in the open channel and kept my trolling motor pointed straight, and slightly nudged it towards the middle of the bridge pillar. Also, going to quick threw I was afraid of not having enough correction time (my big motor idles pretty fast). It all kind of went in slow motion. Man I love my head lights!

I know everyone’s boat is different. I would just do what you think is best or stay away from it all together. grin

Said log has moved on and has opened back up.

Still a bit squirrely coming downstream.

Ya, fog would not be fun eek.

We parked up stream a click or two just before going down. Batten the hatch's, zipped the life vests up and hammered down the plan. Just then the down pour came. I could not believe it. We seen it coming on the radar, but it could have waited a couple minutes or so.

I would say the down stream ride at night is just above white knuckle and in the category of knee shaking wink.

yea, I say tear the carver trestle down. That bridge is usless now anyway unless they fix the section the suger train went down at. Let all the deer hunters go somewhere else.

a bridge like that can creat some good fishing spots to but since i have never seen that streach of the river i cant comment on that exact bridge

leave it up. I would hate to see it go. There are plenty of other places to fish on the river without going up past the carver bridge

ya me and a buddy went back down it at about 11 at nigth the other day and it was like rafting a rapids kinda scary but we made her through fishing about was worth it nice channels

I'll make sure if you and me make it out next wednesday to wear two life vest never can be to safe if we happen to make it down that way.

There are only a few areas on the river that really, really make me nervous and the Trestle is one of them. If something goes wrong there, its going to be very, very bad. The current below the Trestle throughout the year is as strong as you'll find under most dams.

If they could do anything, it would be to knock out a couple of pilings on the East side so there is a somewhat safe passage through it and it would stay cleaned out. I would really hate to see the trestle go, as it provides some decent fishing at certain times of the year. I took a good look at it today and no way would I run it ,even with the River Pro, except going upstream. I would have zero control of the boat coming down. The only way through is on the West side ( next to Carver) and that looks scary enough.

I have never been there, and with you guys's descriptions I dont think I want to be either! Does anyone have video of passing through this, just to give me a picture of what you guys are talking about?

Shack kicking self in butt the last week. grin

Going up or down, my mate and I forgot to take some images or footage. When loading boat I thought I should have got some.

Only thing I can say is if anyone attempts this, just hug the east side of the passage (the side away from carver) when going down stream, use a bow mount trolling motor to thrust boat side to side for correction and slight adjustments and let the current flush you out like water going down a toilette.

It is doable, but it will be rush like no other, that you will talk about for years with the people you did it with.

There is so much stuff jammed up right now, I think dynamite would be the only answer to clear it. Does anyone think the pressure of that junk could compromise the pillars of the bridge? Do you think it will let loose this year? If so, I would hate to be down stream of it when this occurs eek

I guess if it was me I wouldn't recommend using any sort of trolling motor. The current is strong and unpredictable. I would want something piston powered to punch through that current if need be.

It's not as bad as it sounds, but not the spot I would venture out on my first trip on the river.

I'll have to get a short video clip next time I go through there.