• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pretty much OFFICIAL There won't be any going through the tressel anymore. Unless u have a GO-Go Gadget boat. She's gonna need a backhoe and A A log skidder!..... We will be down there this week with em!!!! laugh

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• pureinsanity

• wastewaterguru

• ec30_06

Pretty much OFFICIAL There won't be any going through the tressel anymore. Unless u have a GO-Go Gadget boat. She's gonna need a backhoe and A A log skidder!..... We will be down there this week with em!!!! laugh

Someone should put this one out on the one of the logging shows....Extreme logging on the MN carver trestle.... ..... plucking logs out of swift current, aware that floaters could be a danger down stream, shifting river bottoms.... in a valley with strong winds?!?!?!Jet boats.... prop boats.....Who would have thought if they sent a crew to film and help remove the jam for one of the more exciting episodes of a season..... crazy

For some reason, I have a feeling that if and when the water gets low enough that the Rapids lock up that stretch, there might be some more action take smile

For the time being, it’s a timely yet painless ride downstream.

I've gotta a canoe with a 3hp motor...I might see if it could go through.....

Don't do it Ben.

Is that a dare? I wasn't serious...although last week I did see a guy go through there late at night in a good sized boat with no lights on......

Hmm I will come out for this one. Just let me tie a rope too you, that way if you go down I can pull your a$$ in.

I think Dark was daring you

Hmm I will come out for this one. Just let me tie a rope too you, that way if you go down I can pull your a$$ in.

I think Dark was daring you

Yeah the headlines would be something like this: death of local [PoorWordUsage] proves Darwin right once and for all....

I took a look at the trustle last night and there is a new snag that moved its way under the pillars on the far side.....

Man how I miss my jet, that does it KT will get a call from me someday.... hopefully soon!

I guess YouTube doesn't like my Led Zeppelin background music.

Oh well...

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

This can be fixed in under 60 seconds wink I thought you knew? whistle

OK, lets try this one more time grin

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

"Look Mom! No life vests" laugh

Does everyone agree the music makes this video even cooler grin

Very cool guys!

After talking with Nick and Tom in the boat last night I think we decided that a couple of tires, a few gallons of diesel, and maybe some explosives should take care of the problem.

NO, we cannot let anyone see or know when this might happen. I would not want to be blamed for this.

4-6 sticks or 3-5 tires and some diesel would work very well and at little cost.

NO, we cannot let anyone see or know when this might happen. I would not want to be blamed for this.

4-6 sticks or 3-5 tires and some diesel would work very well and at little cost.

no blame just thanks will be in order

Ok everyone, we’ve been in the batter’s box for a while and now we are up to bat. Here’s the latest and greatest:

I don’t have favorable news to report on the status of negotiations with Union Pacific. Last Friday Union Pacific declined our attempts to negotiate the purchase of the rail corridor that spans from Merriam Junction in Louisville Township across the river through Carver and into Chaska, and our negotiating timeframe has ended.

UP stayed firm with what they believe was a corridor value of $3.9 million, even though their own abandonment filing indicated the value of the land was only $1.7 million. In addition to the $3.9 million purchase price, UP expected the purchaser (Carver and Scott Counties) to take responsibility for removal of the river bridge, which was estimated to be up to another $1 million in removal costs and the associated permits/historic review needed for the removal. Our offer was $1.4 million for the corridor (based on appraisal we had commissioned), minus costs for the bridge removal, which we would have coordinated. Under this scenario, Union Pacific would have walked away with no additional work and approximately $400,000. Now it appears that UP will walk away with a liability of around $1 million for the bridge removal and no revenue. We are still not sure why they took such a hard line.

According to our attorney, the abandonment will now proceed and be complete once UP complies with the Surface Transportation Board's required historic study corridor. At that point, the reversionary parcels on the Carver County side will revert and the “corridor” will no longer be in existence, although UP will continue to own their fee-title property and infrastructure like the bridges, rail, etc.

The bridge is another story. The Army Corps of Engineers has regulatory authority of the bridge, and it will be up to them to force UP to deal with the current log jam and long-term future of the bridge. The Army Corps did send a letter to UP asking about their plans, and UP responded that they recognized it was an issue, but was waiting to determine the status of our negotiations.

As an angler on the river, you and your fellow anglers may want to contact UP directly to express your concern and to try to get them to do something about the log jams. Here are our two contacts that you can circulate among your group:

Mark Schulte, Senior Manager-Real Estate, Union Pacific Railroad

402-544-8593

Gabe Meyer, Assistant General Attorney, Union Pacific Railroad

402-544-1658

I am a bit surprised at this as well. U.P. must have had some alterior motives to not take the 400k. Amazing that the corridor is going to revert back to the original parcel owners on record before the railroad was built. Tracking down property transactions to 1880 isn't easy either.

I think that by 'revert' they don't mean all the way back to 1880 necessarily...my guess is that only CURRENT landowners will be involved, and those are easy to find. Don't see how all transactions from 1880 til now would even matter.

As for them not taking the 400k, I guess they were probably hoping to get more, thinking the city/county would blink before ending negotiations. Sounds like they took a gamble that the stakes would go up and they lost that bet.

thanks for the update DTRO. will have to start the calls soon and try to get everyone to do the same.

Thanks Dtro ! Very informative.

Some things sure are hard to figure. They could have walked away from any liability and cash in hand.

tweed