• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

using fly fishing flies with a spinning rod/reel

mainbutter

So I've never learned to fly fish, and I don't have any fly fishing equipment, but I have to say I've frequently been tempted to try it out simply because the flies you use for lure just look pretty incredible.

What makes a fly lure different from the lures you use on spinning/baitcasting setups? Would it be worth my time to see what happens if I tie on a fly to my ultralight spinning rod?

When you use spinning/casting gear the weight of the lure casts the line. With fly fishing the weight of the line casts the fly. If you tie a fly on to your spinning/casting gear it won't cast because the fly doesn't weigh much. You can add weight (split shot) in order to get it to cast but then the fly won't stay on the surface (if that's what you want).

Since most flies weigh very little another method is needed to cast and that is a section of heavy line - otherwise known as a fly line. In fly fishing the line and rod does the work and the fly is along for the ride.

You can use some nymph patters with spinning gear as a nymph is designed to sink so adding a split shot or two to get it to cast is fine. Otherwise I would stick to the smaller Mepps lures which simulate some characteristics of fly patterns but are designed to be cast.

There are little plastic, mostly solid bobbers in the shape of teardrop that you can use to cast flies. My father set me up with them when I was seven, but I quickly graduated to a 7' 5wt fenwick with a Pflueger Medalist ;\)

I would just buy a cheapo fly rod combo, you can get pretty nice ones for under a 100 bucks

I would do like the man says and buy an inexpensive, balanced fly rod and reel. You can pick one up for a under $100.00. Trust me! Despite all the "AND A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT" dreams out there fly fishing is NOT all that difficult. Granted you won't be making 80 foot casts like they do in the above movie, but you will be casting far enough to catch fish and over time you will improve your casts.

Having said that, Yes, you can use flies with a spinning reel. Thread a Casting Bubble type bobber to your line and pay out about 5-6 feet of line. Tie the fly to the end of the line. The casting bubble gives you the weight you need to cast the fly out with a spinning rod.

In Fly fishing the weight of the line is thrown and the lure (fly) simply follows the thrown line. With a spinning rod the weight of the lure is thrown and the line follows.

I use flies on a drop shot rig for late summer panfish. In MN up to three flies on one line is legal.

I think one of the best beginner outfits is the boxed set from Scientific Angler Usually around 70 bucks. You get everything you need in a balanced outfit, all you need are flys and maybe tippit and a couple of spare tapered leaders. Besides being a 3M product, I think they are a far greater value than most outfits in that range or cheaper. I still use several that I've picked up from Wally World on clearance.

And the easiest place to learn your casting is knee deep in a lake casting for sunnies, away from anything that will grab your backcast. Flyfishing videos can be very helpful as well as books, with pictures, like "The Idiot's Guide to Flyfishing"

The learning curve seems daunting at first, but at some point it will click and you'll first comprehend, then progress, then become a slave to an addiction. Sort of like the rest of fishing

I fish for anyhting that swims with a flyrod and it is a real kick to do so!! I would also rec that you look for a starter flu combo. Cabelas has a traditional II series around 100 bucks that is pretty awesome. I have fished Walton Powells, Sage, Fenwich,Winstons and Scotts and have an 8wt Traditional that rivals all of the above much to my surprize I might add. I would add though when using the torpedo casting bobber tye on a tapered leader to the terminal side of the bobber and you will get a better turn over on your fly and that goes for both dryflys and nymphs. Have fun and start with sunnies it is a BLAST Garrett

I fish for anyhting that swims with a flyrod and it is a real kick to do so!! I would also rec that you look for a starter flu combo. Cabelas has a traditional II series around 100 bucks that is pretty awesome. I have fished Walton Powells, Sage, Fenwich,Winstons and Scotts and have an 8wt Traditional that rivals all of the above much to my surprize I might add. I would add though when using the torpedo casting bobber tye on a tapered leader to the terminal side of the bobber and you will get a better turn over on your fly and that goes for both dryflys and nymphs. Have fun and start with sunnies it is a BLAST Garrett