• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

alma float opan?

Not sure if there open. I also no the one at 5A down the road in Fountain City is open hope this helps. cool.gif

(Note from admn,please read forum policy before posting again,thank-you.)

Fished out of Alma today and the guy running the float was taking the ferry out there. I talked to him and he told me that the float would be open on Friday.

A Question for the locals. Should I bring the boat over there or just go on the float. Any suggestion would be appreciated. I have never fished down there. I am going to be fishing friday and saturday.

Thanks

The float is fun and easy. If one wants to check out different areas, I would take the boat. Many good spots also down stream from the dam. Great landing at Alma and pretty good sized parking lot. Bait can be picked up in town if you are going to use live bait. Plastics also work very well.

When jigging, try to keep your line as vertical as possible. One will need to have pretty good boat control and if you have not fished the river before, the current can be diffucult until you get the hang of it.

Personally, I have fished the float but I would rather use the boat simply due to the fact that I can fish numerous areas.

One can and they do catch some nice pig eyes off the float.

Hey Harvey how heavy of a jig are you using to stay vertical. I use a 1/4 ounce jig and its working but its not going straight down. Would I be better off using something heavier and being more vertical?

I have deen using from a 3/8oz to a 5/8oz depending on the current. From what I have learned fishing the current on the river, the faster the current, the heavier a jig I'm using to stay vertical. One can control alot of this by watching their line into the water but the faster current that should be coming soon, the heavier jig sure seems to help with this.

When my jig is very vertical, seems I detect more bites and hook more fish. Also seems to be easier to detect a bite with the line vertical and no slack going one direction if the fish are biting lighter.

This is what seems to work well for me.

Just curious, whats the float? \:\) I drove over the Mississippi in St.Paul yesterday morning heading south and there must of been 20 boats down by the island to the right. I was drooling and my wife said keep your eyes on the road and keep going \:\)

The Alma Float is a floating dock that site on the east side of the dam. They pick one up by boat on the Wisc side and you can fish on it all day. Pretty much like fishing from a pier od dock. They have many different runs to fish different areas. Fishing can be very good of the dock too.

I forgot to mention they also serve food and coffee and have jigs and bait.

Originally Posted By: walleyechaser
Not sure if there open. I also no the one at 5A down the road in Fountain City is open hope this helps. cool.gif

(Note from admn,please read forum policy before posting again,thank-you.)

Sorry guy's didnt mean to get in trouble LOL forgot about phone numbers .

i see someone said it opened last fri. a website says the 29th does anyone know if it is open cause i wanna go in the morning

I talked to the guy at the landing last Wed and he told me that it would be open last Friday. Haven't been out there since. I might want to try it Thursday if my friend with a boat cant make it out. Anyone been out there to see if its open? How much does it cost for the day?

Yes it opened last Friday, I heard its really slow on the float right now, all the new run-off should pick up the bite real soon...