• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Zipple Report for Friday Feb 15

SSSTaxidermy

Well we finally get up to LOW, at Zipple Bay around the 1:30 pm time range...was fishing in 28 1/2 ft of water. started off real well, as I think we caught 4 eyes *2 keepers within 5 min of being there...Thinking we were on the mother load! However until dark, we only caught 5 more with 1 of those having worthy of hitting the pail. Lots of activiy on the vex but they got real picky, FAST. I tossed everything I had at them and they still made the call! Temps are supposed to warm up today, so hopefully that sparks some action. Good luck to all fishing on LOW this weekend.

Thanks for the report. I hope things perked up for you. We are heading up to Zipple Bay Resort on Wednesday. First time on the lake. Fish out of portables the first day and a sleeper the next. I understand Nick has roads plowed out "all over the place". Any timely tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well yesterday was a decent day of fishing, but once again we no more drop the lines down and boom....pulling up eyes left and right. Nothing with any size. My dads hook, caught nearly all of them with a plain hook. He is a very simple and plain fisherman. He always believes that one line should always be a plain hook. He grew up fishing with plain hooks and caught many many fish that way. So of course, me and my brothers heard all about, why we should take off those expensive hooks were were trying and go simple. But before noon we caught 11 eyes in 2-3 hrs but nothing for the pail. It wasn't until 4ish, we started to see some activity. We caught 6 more, with 3 of them worthy of the seeing the freezer. Still haven't latched onto a 20 something to catch and release Everything has been really small...I think we might more out a little bit deeper this morning to see if we can get some bigger ones, it tough to do that when you got fish tugging at the line too. I will let you know how we did today, Sunday. Good luck all

On a side note, My cousin was up here fishing (at a different location) and landed a 45 inch pike...Weighed 25 lbs 10 oz and had a 21 inches of girth. I seen this hog first hand last night. Very nice fish. He is making some taxidermist happy...

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      THIS!  👍
    • SkunkedAgain
    • Wanderer
      Might not have to wear ear plugs when I mow!      That’s a spendy one.  It wasn’t hard to find one of those for $6k.  Comparatively and Ariens of the same size is $4,200.  A home owner grade JD for $3,900.  You could get into a commercial grade Z700 for maybe $8k.   I think the work I did today with mine would’ve killed that one there.    
    • monstermoose78
      Muskies? Lol
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   This year's MN Fishing Opener weekend was not only great weather wise, the walleyes and saugers were caught in good numbers.  A main fish gut hauler working with a number of resorts commented it was one of the most productive opening weekends he has seen based on the amount of fish guts collected after the weekend. The goto presentation was a jig and frozen emerald shiner.  Emerald shiners are a staple in LOW and walleyes love them.  Other minnows worked also, but emerald shiners are a favorite of anglers for good reason.   Four Mile Bay held good walleyes in 12 - 18'.  Not a surprise as the walleye bite on the river during the spring season was good and as of late, sturgeon anglers have been reporting catching walleyes on sturgeon rigs.   The Lighthouse Gap area, Morris Point Gap and just in front of Pine Island held nice fish in 12 - 15'.  Across the south shore, 18 - 22' was holding good numbers as well.  As you can see, there are lots of fish around.     A quarter ounce jig in gold, glow white, pink, orange, chartreuse, or a combo of these colors tipped with a minnow worked well.   As a reminder, the limit of walleyes and saugers is a combined limit of six fish, up to four of the six can be walleyes.  All walleyes between 19.5 - 28.0 inches must be released.  One fish over 28.0 inches can be kept.  The possession limit in MN is one daily limit of fish. On the Rainy River...  Some nice walleyes were caught on the river this weekend, although most anglers hit the lake.  10 - 15' of water was the norm.     Sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River has been excellent.  The catch and release season continues through May 15th and then closes until the keep season starts up again July 1st. Up at the NW Angle...  Some nice walleyes were caught in 18 - 25 feet of water, a little deeper than anticipated.  Points were good as were areas with structure.  The morning and evening bite was best.       As water continues to warm, go to spots for walleyes will be neck down areas, shoreline breaks, points and bays.     The goto presentation was a jig and minnow.   
    • SkunkedAgain
      I found this dock wheel floating in Black Bay. If it's yours or you know whom it belongs to, go and grab it.    
    • SkunkedAgain
      Most years for opener I drive up on Thursday. This year it was Friday afternoon so I figured bait would be tight. The only place that I stopped was L&M in Virginia. They said that they sold out of rainbows by 11am. I got crappie minnows and never needed the rainbows. All my walleye were caught dragging raps. The crappie minnows....well, you know what they caught.
    • leech~~
      That's a good first step. But are you ready to buy this for the ranch and save the plant more? 🤭   EGO POWER+ 56V Battery 52" Zero Turn Lawn Mower. PRICE $8,899.00 534842_main.webp
    • gimruis
      I got a nice Tom in season B and posted photos in the local thread (Moose's report).
    • Wanderer
      Did you have any luck?     I got a bird but didn’t really do much for pics worth showing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.