• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

cold front

it looks like a big cold front is going to hit on wednesday what do you think this will do to the bite.

Midweek bite is the best one going. Cold fronts dont seem to

bother LOW fish all that much. By the way its 20 below up here

TODAY! The cold front is here already. I would be very excited

about the bite by Wednesday.

Im glad you said that Curt. Im comming up to fish this weekend, should have a line in by 8am on Friday.#rd time up and havent had a bad trip yet,and am not ready to LOL.Cant wait!!

Thanks Curt you made my day, hope I don't get a speeding ticket this afternoon headed up there. Where can I get in touch with you if I need bail.....Bill

Cold air temps don't exactly mean "cold fronts". You have to watch some of the other indicators (barometer, wind direction, as well as the storm patterns) as well.

A very good fishing friend of mine said "Isn't winter in general a BIG cold front?" That one will make you scratch your head for awhile...

The temperature dropping isn't something that excites me too much when it comes to fishing, but a 6" snow followed by a big plunge in temperatures does (I should say that doesn't excite me but depresses me).

One of my best days ever fishing in the last 5 years on URL when the temps were the lowest I saw in that time period, that was the weekend of -20 to -30 about 2 weeks ago in January. That "cold front" was just a big drop in temperature and that was it.

Duke....Well I for one for sure am a believer in these high pressure cold fronts having an effect on the bite on the LOTW, a negative effect that is! Yesterdays was a fast mover, the major front you speak of will be here in 36 hours or so it's lookin??

Fast movers thru like yesterdays high are the worst thing bite-wise. Yo yo barometer is no go in my book, though there may be short windows where the fish go mad for a short spell. The big one coming will slow things up for a day or so, then we'll be in a cold weather pattern, the barometer will stay sorta steady and the bite will come around to avereragee again. My guess anyhow!

I've been fishing a reliable January area pretty hard as of late.. 8 trips since week before last, working 2 spots on the area in specific, both of which always every year put out the fishes in January. These waypoints are about 400 yards apart.. 1 spot is more mixed bag, the other all Walleye. I have punched out the same holes or set other huts within steps and have seen a red hot bite one day go to pot the next on both these waypoints and it can only be on account of the weather as everything else would pretty much be the same.....I've been using the same lures for weeks now!!!!

I mean I can pull 75+ fish easy, bagging 16 big Perch, a limit of nice Walleye and a coupla Saugs one day only to go back the next day after the barometer skyrockets and only get 20 or so fish total thru the same holes and only bucketing 4 Perch and an eye????? Hmmmmmm in my book that has got to be a weather thing no 2 ways about it!

Not everyone has the luxury of going just when they want or when those weather patterns are favorable so we gots to make the best of it no matter what Mother Nature wants to sneak us eh. It's almost hard to get skunked on this pond even on the worst of days on the totally wrong spot even, and some times the slow days will see a giant show up so any day can turn banner in a quick moment!

fiskyknut

fiskyknut thanks for the info you realy seem to know the lake I am coming up late thursday with a buddy and his 12 year old son its his kids first fishing trip with the boys do you recomend lake of the woods or upper red to get the kid on the most fish

Golly when the LOTW is 'on' in the winter it probably can't be rivaled numbers-wise anywheres on this continent but URL would certainly be in the running.

You may have to toss a coin on that one there!

Iffin you have the time and resource maybe hit them both? Alot would depend on just where your fishing on the woods too, URL as well, their both big ponds loaded with fishes!

Toss a coin is right last weekend I fished them both, wheel house on red and took the portable up to babblers road on LOTW

red was ok 1 crappie 3 northern 30 walleys in 2 and a half days LOTW fished for 4 hours and got 4- 15 to 16 inch sagur 3- 15 inch waleye and 3 throw backs

Duke whether you toss the coin or hit them both let us know how it goes K.

This may or may not be true, but I have always heard that it takes 3 days or so of similar weather to get the fish back to biting normal. So far this year on the big pond I've had so-so results, the best days seem to be the days when no one else is out there. But even on a bad day on the lake their is always the chance of getting a pig for the wall, hence why I always fish after dark. Sure you'll probably have better luck with the pout in the wee hours of the night, but every once in a while that big wiggler at 4am has teeth. As for me, the weather really isn't the deciding factor on the trip...when the schedule says off/off/off I head for the truck. LOW is pretty much a mixed bag, you'll always have people that limit out and some who couldn't seem to find the bite (it's a big lake), either way most of the time you'll get fish for the bucket. However, that may mean getting the portable out and goin' for a ride.