• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who's fishing now?

ESSGuy

Who's on the lake now? I'm on Graveyard reef now in my skid house. Has been very slow so far. Waiting for the hot bite to kick in. 27fow by the way..

I'm out here, out of garrison. Slow primetime bit for us tonight but picked up a few on rattle reels after dark. 

Back at it on the SE side in 27ft. Very slow early evening, lost a good one half way up. Lots of traffic today, may be a factor. Just a beautiful day to be on the lake though.

Edited by ESSGuy
Vexilar was not calibrated properly.

I'm not to far from graveyard. In 17 fow slow here so far also.  One 14 inch eye. This is my first time fishing the southouse east side

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the house after taking last weekend off. We are not having the same results as the masses 27 fow. Slow, slow and slow.  I think our next move will be to shore. Head to deer camp and start on next years supply of fire/camp fire wood.

Fished the pond yesterday. Went out of Terry's, planned on hitting some mud spots, fished 20'-33' fow.  9:30am-1pm, moved three times and nothing. Drove off around 1:30pm and went to the SE side to hit some gravel. Set up off a point in 30ish fow, and again nothing. Until I got a phone call wondering when I'd be back and..... BAM this guy shows up :DIMG_0325.JPG

I rebaited, got back down and then began to wonder if this was all worth it and BAM.... 25" on the dead stick, fathead with a green glow demon. I'd say it was kind of worth it. IMG_0326.JPG

I also spent some time on the pond this weekend.  My 14 year old son and I rented a sleeper from Twin Pines out of Garrison (excellent customer service by the way).  Fishing was slow during the day but ended up with a few beauties on the rattles at night.  27", 23", and 26" fishing in 22 FOW.  Here are a few pics...

Mille Lacs 4.jpgMille Lacs 3.jpgMille Lacs 6.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Ended up with 2 walleye for the weekend. A 16 and a 19 1/2 plus 1 10" perch. First fish dinner in 2 yrs so that's a plus. Walleyes came on rattle wheels between 12am-4am.

Edited by ESSGuy
Added content

• 2 weeks later...

Got a 22" at 3:30 pm today, and a few small perch. Rattle wheels are moving some, but nothing will fully take it down. More action than last weekend.

Went out of Rocky Reef to 27'fow.  1-15" and 1-25" from Friday noon to Sat. noon, nothing overnite.   100yards and 2' shallower from last weekends spot where we caught 6,  Can't seem to figure them out, but a perfect weekend to be out.

I have a friend who has his house set up over 11ft on SE side. Last Saturday night he caught 11 and this Saturday night he got a 26 and a 29. Seems a lot of big fish are in shallow.

Fished the south side this last weekend. Friday set up onto of hump in 18' very slow managed to get two, 18" & 22". Moved Saturday morning out deeper and set up of the bottom edge of a hump, about 23', once it got dark it was game on iced 23 fish over night, but the biggest being 18". Did talk to a older guy at the bar who said he was in 17' and had 6 the whole week but the smallest was 23". 

A small red hook like ESSGuy said and a glow and orange demon with shiners were the best, although the few I got during daylight were on a gold Gemini with smaller suckers.

Edited by FilledLimits

So if I had the choice (will call to see if I have a choice of rentals) should I request a rental in shallower or a bit deeper water. Seems like more action is shallow and bigger fish are deeper?  My group would be happy with more numbers rather than size, 2 of the 4 guys only fish once a winter they just want to see fish.

Thanks

Beef

Oh and thanks ESS and Limits

I don't know if deep or shallow is best. My house is in 27ft and we average 2-4 fish per night, biggest was 23". I have heard that the bigger fish have been caught shallow. Good luck.

What are my chances we will even get out Feb 24-26?  Just nervous about such a long stretch of warm weather.  Of course Ill call Lybacks but just wondering what others are seeing on the lake as well.

Thanks

Beef

I think it will be ok. I will have mine ready to be pulled off after Sunday morning. Looks to cool some after Tuesday. Eddy's not too worried, he knows better than most.

Yeah I called and they weren't worried at Lybacks. Actually moving there houses around to try and hit the shallow bite that is happening.

Made it out on the lake and got set up late tonight, hoping for some night action though! Set up in 10ft near some rocks on  south end. We will see what happens...

Keep us informed . 10ft is crazy, sounds fun. 

ive never fished eyes in 10' does the house need to be pretty much silent 

Rest of night was a dud. Probably going to move but I caught two this morning jigging both around 16"

actually caught them while I thought I was fishing perch with euro larvae. Caught two small perch as well

Anyone have any suggestions on a target depth or a whole sale move?

14 hours ago, MNBEEF said:

Keep us informed . 10ft is crazy, sounds fun. 

ive never fished eyes in 10' does the house need to be pretty much silent 

Yes noise does make a difference when fishing that shallow.

Edited by BringAnExtension

This is the first year in probably a decade that we haven't had one of our fishhouses in shallow.  Usually we're in 7 or 8 ft with one of them, and another is out deep.  There are some big fish in shallow, especially after dark.   

I *love* fishing shallow, but as BaE says, you need to be quiet.  And that means you need to be away from people, as you can be as quiet as you want but the guy 50 yards away ripping a bunch of holes 10 minutes before primetime might affect your fishing.  This year it was hard to find isolated shallow spots because there was so much traffic on the ice; in previous years, it's been a bit easier.

• Thumbs Up 1