Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Did any of you check out the pits for winter trout opener last weekend? Thanks!
  3. Today
  4. Will i be warm enough?

Well hopefully you can still get out with Dad another weekend yet this winter. Building memories are things that last.
  5. Will i be warm enough?

I upgraded from my Little Buddy to a Portable Buddy (not a Big Buddy which seemed like over kill for a 2-3 man portable). I figured that would work best for my needs. Turns out I was right. The heater warmed my 949i enough that I could fish with my gloves off which was nice. I definitely noticed though as soon as a tank ran out, it got chilly quick since I had a few holes open to allow some fresh air in. My dad chickened out since he would be coming from WI and it was snowing over there still the roads were slick (as they were here also). Also made sense since we didn't know how well the shack would stay warm. So I stayed close to home. I was going to head to Cedar Lake near New Prague since it appears to have a healthy pan fish population to keep me entertained, but the guy I talked to at Prior Lake Bait & Tackle said Prior was a better bet, so I took his advice. I started fishing about 10 am after finding a spot and getting setup in about 20 FOW in the basin away from the crowds. I only managed to connect on a few dink perch, one that was borderline keeper size that I threw back just before heading home about 5:30. I didn't mark a single suspended fish in my spot. I drilled some holes in various depths not far from my shack but still didn't find any marks and got cold and headed back into my warm shack. I had a fathead on a tip up in case a hungry walleye came by but had no takers. A tip I heard recently was to hook them through the butt and out the side, which makes them sort of upside down which they hate so they continue to struggle and move in the water the whole time trying to right them selves. I dropped by camera down and watched this and it seemed to work to keep it moving, although I didn't catch anything so who knows if the fish actually like it.
  6. Not sure what's going on but I'm still loosing track of days. Bouncing around in the red baron, checking on customers ,enjoying the football game at Hillmens Tall tale Tavern man was that fun, getting a few games of pool in last night to practice for my next match. Playing a round of texas hold em with the wells fargo boys in north dakota, visiting with all the customers, moving houses, plowing new roads, plowing old roads, battling mother nature, the winds were howling sunday night after another small dumping of snow. I wrote in my note book on Wednesday the 17th CLOSED. The fishing has been crazy good? Not sure what's that all about but will take it as its so nice to see everyone catching more then a few. Stevejames won my giveaway on Minnesota Outdoorsman, I have been giving a way a free night as a prize on there fishing challenge for a few years. He arrived Friday for old Minnesota with his buddy Mike and there 2 boys Nolan and Ayden. They rented one day so they were here for 2 nights and did real well. I got a great pic of there stringer of fish, It was a treat seeing the kids outside playing ,enjoying the great outdoors. Terry, Sarha ,Carl and Kenny were in florida for 3 nights. They also had a grand time on a grand lake. This was there third year with me. They said they will be back again next year if I will have them? There such nice people, I was able to visit off and on wth them as they fed me breakfast burritos , French dips after the Viking game. Carl got 4 deer so they also brought me a care package of venison. I'm making my coleslaw for them next year and may treat them to a night of my cooking to boot. I mentioned to Sarah the first day she should tie a string to her fishing pole? OOPs darn if it did not go down a hole. Scott the wells fargo boys have also did well, they went to Westwind for fish and the Viking game and also had a hoot. Then when they got back to the house Scott got treated to "yes a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie" A beautiful 14 a half inch masterpiece. Another great group of guys and they got my 10 dollars last night. I played a little to loose and lost all my chips. Mel, Dan and Dane arrived for old Minnesota sunday, I told Dan get a line down first thing. Before they were unpacked they had 2 in the bucket. Yesterday Dane was catching fish on the rattle wheel from the top bunk. They enjoyed Fish for dinner last night as Mel is a master chef, she also fed me hodgepodge for breakfast yesterday. They have been coming up here for 14 years summer and winter. Snowbear Josh headed home for a couple days so I'm taking care of a couple of his guest and they were slaying the fish the last two days. I just talked to Jarred and his buddie Jim they were in montana last night and got there 8. Angie and here hubbie and there friends were in montana sunday. I think they ended up with 9 with there friends, The kids fished in one of Joshes 2 man houses and there friends went home sunday eve,. Mother nature has been kicking my but. Yesterday I plowed off and on all day, cleaning up the drifts. Buddy Hillmens Highway is again in great shape. I expect we will be making more main roads in the next day or two. I did here form Brandon I had set up in a secret spot and they also did real well Friday eve, Ken and his buddies also did well where I plowed them a spot. Throwing darts and hitting bulls eyes feel good. Well its past my starting time. we start at 9, so again its time to check the fluids and hit the ice on such a Grand lake that owes us nothing! Nothing!
  7. Strikemaster will not run

Needle valve is sticking open or bad diaphragm.
  8. Strikemaster will not run

Seems to be flooding out. I have pulled the plug after trying to restart and its wet, so yes flooding out.
  9. Strikemaster will not run

After it dies pull the spark plug. Is it wet or is it dry.
  10. oilandwater Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the report. Any Loopers in the mix with the Coho's?
  11. i want to attend this year and will put it on the calendar been a couple of years since i have been up there .
  12. Anyone fishing this lake? How is the ice and bite?
  13. Only ice is in McQuade harbor and Knife River, and not much at that. Cohos are biting really well on some days for guys fishing off the Two Harbors break wall. Pretty miserable conditions in which to fish, though.... South shore has good ice around Washburn, and a few cohos mixed in with good catches of Browns, spoke, and whitefish. Cohos on MN side have averaged 13-14" this winter.
  14. Power Augers

I have been using a Strikemaster Lithium Lazer 50v electric auger the last couple years. Very happy with it, but I'm limited to about 70-100 feet of ice drilled per charge, depending on temp/hardness of ice. That's more than enough for most bluegill trips, but it's lacking when the ice gets thick and I'm trying to find walleyes on big water during full-day trips. I find myself not drilling as many holes as I would like in an attempt to ration the charge. I just picked up an Eskimo P1 Rocket 8" propane auger. My buddy has the 10" and it's the best auger I've ever used. If anyone wants to really aerate a lake, the Rocket fits the bill. I'll use this along with the Strikemaster electric to meet all of my drilling needs. I haven't used the Rocket yet. It's in the mail. I'm excited at it's light weight in particular. 26 pounds.
  15. Strikemaster will not run

Next time you give it a try. Take a flash light and look up to make sure the throttle flapper is returning to the closed position when you let off the gas and it dies. I have had them stick open or half open then your more or less trying to restart it at half or full throttle which may just be flooding it out. It's either starving for gas or flooding. Let us know if you solve it. Good Luck.
  16. I never fished north of Wahpeton. When I fished down there I'd go south. There's normally some walleye biting early in the year south of the main road through town. I don't know how it would be this time of year. I always fished it first ice because that was usually fishable before most lakes. If you do go out I'd recommend bringing someone along and having a chisel along to check ice. That river ice can be very inconsistent.
  17. Strikemaster will not run

I ordered a rebuild kit from amazon for less than $5.00, so hopefully that will help. YouTube has some videos on installing it. It is an odd thing, if it sits for a while it will start and I can run it. Once I take it off full throttle, it will die and I can't get it to restart. Thanks for the posts so far, I appreciate it.
  18. Strikemaster will not run

For cleaning carbs I use Gumout spray with the tube on it to shoot through all the passage ways. If I'm finding one not flowing well or clogged I like to use a gas welding tip cleaner. There are a lot of sizes and you don't have to jam something to big through it which could widen and ruin the flow. I got a nice pretty new little chain saw from a guy who just could not get it running for Free. Found that no spray would go through the main jet when I was cleaning the carb. Used the tip cleaner to knock out a piece of saw dust, and clear our Deer trails out really nice this year! Like Wanderer and Borch said, rebuild kits are cheap and a good thing to do if it's been gummed up. p.s those little piss-ant needle flow valve springs are really fun to get back in place with fat fingers! They like to jump off the work bench and hide!!
  19. Sounds fun Jeff!, The way the ice has set up this year maybe it will happen after all. I would like to start getting a few prizes together for Biggest Cat, and also a kids division. Hopefully someone can bring a few good ones to the scales...
  20. Gull lake access

@donethat Where is this access you speak of? I’m not familiar with “bullhead bay”. Is there a problem with people trespassing? The access I was referring to last year looked pretty public to me.
  21. Strikemaster will not run

Carb kit may help. It's plugged or gasket/diaphragm dried out or cracked. Alternating between choke and open when running will sometimes help if diaphram.
  22. Anything new that way? I was kicking around the idea of fishing Fish Trap this weekend but went elsewhere in the area. Been finding 14-15 inches regularly.
  23. Strikemaster will not run

Get some sea foam in that gas tank and run ‘er! I can’t tell you exactly where it’s gummed up, but it is. It’ll take a tank and maybe two but it should clear up. Or, take the carb back off soak it and clean every oriface you can find by poking and blowing compressed air through all the holes. Put a new carb kit on it and reinstall. Whichever way you prefer should work. Mix your gas with 100:1 Amsoil next time, especially if you let it sit with gas in it over the summer. I run about 75:1 and have gotten away without gummed up carbs when forgetting to clear the gas from last year - like today. First day starting the gas auger. I found out it wasn’t stores empty like I normally do. Took about 10 pulls but she came around and did fine on the lake today. I WAS annoyed to find gas in it but I have no one to blame but me.
  24. St Cloud Get Together 2/24/18, 8:00 am until you want to leave The St Cloud Get Together will be on Horseshoe Lake near Richmond. The event will be held near a spot called the Meth Hole. The area gets this name from the methane gas bubbles that sometimes leaves a small hole in the ice. As of today the ice conditions appear to be good with plenty of time to make more. The Meth Hole area is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice. What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie,(rock bass). Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes. Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows. These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon. Despite there size, channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account. Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics. So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target. As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun. It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots. There will be a potluck about noon. The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning. If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great. Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier. Bring a dish to pass. This is a family friendly event so bring the whole family! I will have some fishing goodies for the kids. Horseshoe Lake is south of Richmond MN on CR 22. There is a public access about 1 mile south of Hwy 23. DO NOT USE this access as it sits on the river and is a high current area. Instead use the winter access further south(see on map). I look forwards to seeing you all there!
  25. Catting the chain

Good to see you posting Pete!
  26. Minnewaska

1st welcome, 2nd there are some folks that have to try to be stupid!!!
  27. I have a Strikemaster Lazer mag that I'm having trouble with. I'm guessing the auger is about 5 years old I've always ran non ethanol fuel in it. Emptied the fuel from it and put in fresh, new spark plug also. I can get it to start and run, will throttle up, but will not idle after it has been running at full speed. Dies as soon as you release the throttle. Can't get it to start again after that. Took the carb off, sprayed it down with carb cleaner, which helped some, but didn't fix the problem. Took it to a small engine guy, he said that he adjusted the carb and it was good to go. Brought it home and tried it out, nothing different than what I had before. He didn't charge me, but it isn't fixed either. I'm guessing this is an issue with the carburetor. Any advice on what I should try next? I'm somewhat handy, Thanks for any advice
  1. Load more activity

• Members Online

• DonBo

DonBo 101

'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
    • stf

stf 0

'we have more fun' I Share On FishingMN
    • Sorgy

Sorgy 1

'we have more fun' I Share On FishingMN
    • icefishermen