• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What type/brand of line do you use

Hammer Handle

Mainly for all-purpose fishing. I only have one or two poles, so want a line in 10-14 lb that can cast decent, but is durable.

I can't remember the kind I got. I went to Gander Mountain and asked them and bought the line they suggested. To be honest, I don't like it at all....

10lb Power Pro. Although, I need to turn my line back in because it has a number of little "nubs" on it which must have come from a bad batch. I love the line though! Casts very well and no-stretch. First year I'm using it and probably won't ever go back to mono.

All purpose fishing,...,I still have to default to the monoline or the coplymer type for better abrasion resistance, more consistent suppleness, stronger knot strength. I've used Silverthread for ten years and now I'm going to be testing out Gamma because I've heard a lot of good things from it. Plus Gamma markets their lines to nearly twice the amount of break strength in comparable line diameter. I was recently using Stren Magnathin 6 lb test and it has matching diameter in 4 lb Gamma. I didn't like the fraying from the Stren Magnathin so I'll be spooling the 4# Gamma. I've used Silverthread Excalibur 10# line holding 15 lbs carp on run whereas Trilen XT 14# broke on me on nearly identical rod and reel setup.

The Fireline Crystal is also a very good choice for all purpose, although it's not a clear line like your mono in clear water presentation.

Well, I have my rods , my wifes rods, and my kids rods to keep lined so I use Cabela's ProLine as my default monofilament line. It works well and I haven't noticed any nasty habits with it so I'll keep using it. It's also cheap enough that I can respool the numerous rods in our house on a fairly frequent basis. Having said that, I also use Trilene XT for trolling, fireline and powerpro for certain applications (bottom bouncers, Muskie/Pike, casting cranks, etc), Maxima ultragreen and chameleon for steelhead fishing and some leaders, Rio for fly leaders, and PLine Fluorocarbon and Floroclear for stealthy presentations.

Depends on what type of line you like, but I like P-line flourocarbon. Very little stretch if that makes a difference for you, I have 12lb on my all purpose rod and like it a lot.

Gotta agree with you guys on the Maxima! Stuff is as tough as it comes. Not as soft as some of the others. It is low stretch and very strong. If you typically run a 10 or 12 lb line you can go to a 6 or 8lb Maxima in either the ultragreen or chameleon and have more strength and abrasion resistence. It has been designed and marketed to the steelhead and trout fisherman. Hence why it is so abrasion resistent. The P-Line is as good as it comes for finesse fishing and when you need to down size to get them to bite. I recently fished a tournament on Table Rock in Missouri and the lake is very clear. You can see down 20 feet. If you didn't fish 6lb flourcarbon you could not get them to bite. P-Line has a lot more stretch then others, so run it on a heavier than usual rod and it will compensate for that. I fish over 200 days a year and have used many of the lines offered. One hting I do recommend is respool often. It is the only connection between you and the fish!

I have tried a lot of different brands but I always come back to Trilene XL or XT 6 lb test. They have both worked great for me. I mostly finese fish lindy rigs. I might however try maxima on my plug rod. It sounds like that has less stretch.

Quote:

10lb Power Pro

+1 on the Power Pro. I like this braid because it is round, as opposed to the other braids that are flat.

I am experimenting with flourocarbon leaders.

I tried and dislike the red shakespear line. Holy cow does that stuff stretch. Looks cool though. I'll put it on the kids rods.

I switched out two of my rods this year to 8# fireline crystal after using it all winter (4#) and pulling in some nice fish. I have used the other colors of fireline for years with no complaints so far.

I may have to give the maxima a try. Sounds pretty tough!

Braid is good for some aplications. Like fishing heavy cover (lilly pads, milfoil, docks)

But there are times when mono is good. For example: Crankbait fishing. Mono does have stretch and that can be good depending on your fishing technique. There are also times when you have to down size or finesse fish to get them to bite. When fish have received a lot of pressure they are a bit leary of the braid. Bed fishing for example. If that fish can see your line he usually won't bite.

Typically if you are fishing a braid you can get by with a lighter action rod because the line doesn't stretch. If you run braid on a heavy rod, and the fish turns to make a run there is nothing left to give. So check that out, pair your line with the right action rod.

Quote:

If you run braid on a heavy rod, and the fish turns to make a run there is nothing left to give.

Your drag????

Go with trilene XL this line has worked for me for many years but i also have all my extra spools with 10/4 fire line for casting and trolling. Go with the green its almost invisible you can always run a lead of floural.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I use multiple lines based on application. I have 20-30# power Pro on a lot of my bait casting rigs for trolling cranks and spinners. I use Silver thread as my primary mono line. I also use a lot of trilene XL, XT and P-Line for snells, spinners, etc.

Like many, I use a variety of lines... if using a braid, I am most fond of Power-Pro.. for mono I use Gamma and use Gamma for Florocarbon applications as well.

Power-pro all the way, by far the best line I have found!!!

Perchjr

Quote:

Quote:

If you run braid on a heavy rod, and the fish turns to make a run there is nothing left to give.

Your drag????

MY ROD!!!!....----->>>!!!SPLASH!!!

darn that catfish! grin.gif

I would go with some Fireline being its solely for multi purpose. 10-14 will still be pretty thin diameter using fireline and pretty good for all applications.

I use fireline, Berkley Vanish, Berkley Trilene XT even some Wal-Mart line, all in different lb test for different applications.

2 rods?--6 LB XL on one and a super line on the other. It's tough to beat 6 or 8 pound Trilene XL. As long as you tie good knots,(whett the line!), check the last couple of feet for nicks often, re-tie if needed, and adjust the drag properly, any light mono will work fine.

Food for thought: Heavier line isn't always better. If fishing around lots of snags, eg. rivers, you will eventually get stuck. If your line doesn't break, you will end up cutting it at the rod tip. After a couple times, you won't have any line left on your spool.