• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

macgruber

was in the bwca over memorial day and tried our hand at a brook trout lake in the area and only managed one strike all afternoon...... i was just wondering about tactics in the area for these hidden gems......

what water temp do the fish usually sit in-- and thus does depth matter, or do the fish relate more to a certain temp in the lakes?

also what techniques do people use-- we threw every artificial we had at 'em, from flies, to small spoons, to small spinners......

i thought they'd still be shallow this time of year, but we didn't see any fish spooking and we could see down around 10-12 ft. in the water, which makes me think they were perhaps deeper?

thanks for any tips.....

Quickstrike

I hit a couple stocker lakes up the gunflint earlier in the week and all the fish we got were on the surface mostly in shallow water near shore. I had the best luck with soft hackle flies and streamers twitched right under the surface. We were fishing rainbows and splake, but I think the brookies should still be on the surface, especially in the mornings and evenings.

macgruber

thanks..... fish must've been hiding or inactive...... next time i suppose attempting to fish during the best times of day might be a good idea......

tunrevir

Are you spin fishing or using a fly rod? I usually use a spnning rod from shore this time of year and use angeleye jr's, smal cleos, panther martins and mepps. I have also had luck with a bobber and bits of crawler about 3-4' down some years and have also floated a crawler off the bottom. many presentations. Funny, one time out gold works the next silver and sometimes just bait. This time of year we usually get them in the top 10' of water. Hoping to get into them this weekend, headed up in the a.m. Mid morning and late afternoon has produced best for us and it seems that sunny skies out produce the overcast skies. A good clue is to look for fish surfacing and that will help you to know if you should be shallow or deep.

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

macgruber

i think the main problem was probably the time of day-- which was tough to get around, as we had a couple mile paddle and a tough portage into this lake, so by the time we were there it was late morning and we had to leave by early afternoon to get back....... not the best fishing hours.... we threw everything artificial at 'em..... flies, small spoons, tiny raps, small mepps and rooster tails, cast masters, cleos, etc....... didn't have worms, which now i wish we'd been able to try.....