• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
sparks

potato lake?????

sparks

I was wondering if anyone knows if the water on potato is low this spring, i am coming up 2nd week on june to stay for a week. Also i have a 4yr old and was wondering if there is a good spot to take him to wet a line, somewhere were the fish are bitting, not really picky what. Any help would be greatly apprecaited. thanks

RobertELee

Actually it's right around normal levels. If any fish will do for you go to the west arm and fish around the bulrushes and lily pads, your bound to find lots of fish for your son, maybe even a nice largemouth or two also wink.gif

sparks

thanks, i have got him casting his pole but i need fish to keep his attention and hopefully get him interested in fishing.

NELS-BELLS

I always brought a 5 gal bucket and filled it about half way. I let the kids put some of the fish that they caught in the bucket. When they got bored with fishing they played with the fish in the bucket. I used the livewell for any keepers. A scoop of minnows in a bucket and a minnow scoop will also do wonders to keep there attention. Don't forget the snacks and don't keep em out in the boat for hours and you will have a future fishing partner.

My kids also loved it when we took the boat up the channel to Eagle. They could see all kinds of fish swimming in the shallow water. We've also seen deer. Have fun!

Nels

sparks

i have an 18ft lund explorer, i have heard that the channel is somewhat shallow? is it navigable with a bigger boat? i like the bucket trick, i will have to put it on my list of thing to pack.

RobertELee

I don't think a boat that big would do very well going up the river, its difficult enough with a 16 footer because of all the rocks and the very shallow mouth on the potato side. Also last fall that river was clogged up with all kinds of debris.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Cliff Wagenbach
      Check the lakevermilion.com site for a list of public campsites on Lake Vermilion. Cliff
    • gunner55
      We'll be making a trip in to GR again. in the next couple days. See what it looks like then.
    • TomWehler
      Hi I don;t know really if there is a list or not? Hmmmmm. good question? How do ya find out? I do know House boats tie up n camp to some of the smaller ones. So guessing fair game for campers also?? Fast simple way to find out those islands n locals might be to call Vermilion Houseboats n ask a few questions or drop by with a load Hoogies.  That 4 sure get some answers... KEEP OUT, PRIVIATE PROPERTY signs, Boat Lifts, docks ~ cabins n Reputation and of course GUNS n DOGS take care of the lite work for rest of us island owners. : ) 15 years ago Bonnie n I were going fishen an teasing Marauder crew of our hounds NO BOAT TODAY!  We jumped in boat on back dock, told them to have fun, be back soon. Driving around front of island to tease them an pick up front docks we see a boat pulling in to east side of island. I motor over an I ask if I can help them. Two dudes, kind of laurel n Hardy type couple. They say hey man, you a lake cop? Were on vacation an don't want no trouble, Go %$# @#$%^ an back off we are here 1st an need to take a dump. Before I say anything Bonnie says, well bud yer on private property an if you like staying healthy you should get back in yer boat really fast or you gonna know why in 10 seconds. : ) "Yeah well no one can own an island so just back off.....this aint nothing to do with you" That is when the four hounds turned corner of shed full blast in silent sneak attack mode.  : )Guess they were wrestling or chasing frogs or simply in shock that we did not let them in boat cause it took them about 1 minute to react to the voices. But maybe they were just waiting for right moment to GET IT ON! Becky arrived 1st....Buddy, then Barney an then Bailey....... One united big bark turned the dudes heads an you never seen two guys leap into a boat so fast just shy of four mouths full of teeth.... : ) Fat guy flew over the lil guy what seemed like 10 feet right into the bow of boat. Lil guys legs moving so fast to climb into boat an move it off show at same time all while screaming top of his lungs........HELP HELP HELP!!! Bonnie just says as I motor along to front docks to get hound pals.  "Talk to the hounds, this aint got nothing to do with us ~ remember" Fun couple of minutes! Later out on lake they apologized an asked info on places to camp an were sorry for being real DICKS. Told them to maybe got to DNR office in town an ask them about island camping as at the time I had no idea. Actually got to know them pretty good an laugh about this online every summer when they come to lake or when see them on lake once in a while. : ) Keep on rocken! T      
    • Hoey
      Yesterday there was open water, half way from the bridge to narrows used for netting and stripping.  It won't be long now.  The gates are still locked too.  
    • Hoey
      I was able to get my ice to boat equipment and gear cut-over completed.  Only problem was the electric golf cart was a no go.  Finally got it charged enough to move.  I just found out that the charger needed to be replaced.  Over $300 - ouch. There were many out chasing pike.  Those fishing on the reefs and in deeper water were not doing as well as those fishing in one foot of water below the ice.  Sounded like you need to be willing to run your auger into the sand.   I put new blades on my auger and went out to see how well they cut.  Well, I drilled down 2 feet in less than 3 seconds as the ice was on the hard side of slush.  I did not drill any further.  The hole filled immediately with water.   The pike chasers indicated they found little to no hard ice remaining.  That is encouraging since hearsay from the DNR indicated we need 4 weeks of 70 degree days with above freezing temps over night to get the ice out.   Come-on 70s!!!!
    • Kettle
      For those interested in current conditions Red Door has a webcam and the north end typically goes the fastest or at least that is what it seems.  I'm all for a late ice out, similar to 2013 when the last really good year class of walleye were produced.   Kettle
    • Getanet
      I know there are more than 300 islands on Lake Vermilion, but I was wondering if most of them are private, or could a guy throw some camping gear in his boat and stay overnight on one (obviously one that is uninhabited)? If that's possible, does anyone know of any resources that identify which ones are private and which ones would be available for something like that?    
    • leech~~
      Trying to stay on Topic from what I read. Ice out by opener.......so
    • delcecchi
      Sounds like the record of May 23 is looking safe for another year... 
    • BRULEDRIFTER
      Ice is going fast!  The sun is high and powerful, we're flirting with 70 degrees and the forecast looks promising. I'm feeling pretty confident there will be a lot more open water then most are expecting.